Home Non Cigar Related

are they out of their mind?

kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
in new york there is a bill that is being proposed to ban the use of SALT in restaurants.

the first lines of the bill read as follows:

PROHIBITION ON SALT; RESTAURANTS. 1. NO OWNER OR OPERATOR OF A RESTAURANT IN THIS STATE SHALL USE SALT IN ANY FORM IN THE PREPARATION OF ANY FOOD FOR CONSUMPTION BY CUSTOMERS OF SUCH RESTAURANT, INCLUDING FOOD PREPARED TO BE CONSUMED ON THE PREMISES OF SUCH RESTAURANT OR OFF OF SUCH PREMISES
link

the state seems to feel that it can tell people what and what not to eat, and how chefs can run their restaurants. can someone explain how this is NOT a violation of the rights of the owners of those restaurants? if the people dont want salty food, then they can do what i do:
find somewhere else to eat.

this will make food in NY taste bad. it will make the chefs that work there want to leave. new york will no longer be a great food town. this would hurt the economy of new york in ways they never thought would.

...not to mention that salt (and the iodine many salt brands carry) is an essential part of your diet.

Comments

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    My general understanding of this is that lawmakers are retarded.
    Is that what this is about?

• VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Well Kuz, I think we can rest assured of two things. First, this will never pass and just become an ongoing internet joke. Second, legislators have too much free time on their hands not spent on what they were elected to do. Now if you'll pardon me I'm going to have a little popcorn and french fries-----no salt of course....LOL.......unbelievable.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Vulchor:
    Well Kuz, I think we can rest assured of two things. First, this will never pass and just become an ongoing internet joke. Second, legislators have too much free time on their hands not spent on what they were elected to do. Now if you'll pardon me I'm going to have a little popcorn and french fries-----no salt of course....LOL.......unbelievable.
    that is the only saving grace i guess... i do understand it will never pass but that doesnt make them any less crazy.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And we wonder why so many people are leaving our state...
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Florida doesn't have (too many) ridiculous laws - plus we don't have a State income tax - c'mon down Ccom/business image

• lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    It reminds me of the short-lived ban on Foie Gras (goose liver) here in Shitcago, IL. What an absolute joke that was. Some animal-rights minded alderman got it in his head that he would use the floor of the City Council to push through his meaningless agenda and deprive a small population of local fine dining restaurants of a major staple in their menus. It did nothing to stop or even slow down the alleged abuse to the poor geese in France and Canada.

I think that alderman Joe "Foie Gras" Moore should personally reimburse the tax-payers of Chicago for any costs this stupid ban incurred.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    lol
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    hahaha, its a bad movie, but does anyone remember in Demolition Man how they outlawed anything bad? No salt, red meat, cursing, sugar, sex. Scary, but when I read stuff like this, it makes me think that they aren't far off from trying to make it into that movie. Save us Sly!

"You see, according to Cocteau's plan, I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think; I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech and freedom of choice. I'm the kind of guy who likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecued ribs with the side order of gravy fries?" I WANT high cholesterol. I wanna eat bacon and butter and BUCKETS of cheese, okay? I want to smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section. I want to run through the streets naked with green Jell-o all over my body reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly might feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiener".
  • turn_keyturn_key Posts: 90
    ironhorse:
    hahaha, its a bad movie, but does anyone remember in Demolition Man how they outlawed anything bad? No salt, red meat, cursing, sugar, sex. Scary, but when I read stuff like this, it makes me think that they aren't far off from trying to make it into that movie. Save us Sly!

"You see, according to Cocteau's plan, I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think; I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech and freedom of choice. I'm the kind of guy who likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecued ribs with the side order of gravy fries?" I WANT high cholesterol. I wanna eat bacon and butter and BUCKETS of cheese, okay? I want to smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section. I want to run through the streets naked with green Jell-o all over my body reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly might feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiener".
    I love that line. It sounds like something Denis Leary would write himself for a stand-up routine.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    turn_key:
    ironhorse:

I love that line. It sounds like something Denis Leary would write himself for a stand-up routine.
    I love that line too!
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    kuzi16:
    in new york there is a bill that is being proposed to ban the use of SALT in restaurants.

PROHIBITION ON SALT...

the state seems to feel that it can tell people what and what not to eat, and how chefs can run their restaurants.
    I don't see any evidence that the state feels that way. I see that one legislator has proposed an insane bill, but the googlez didn't turn up any reports that the bill is getting any support at all, or a committee hearing, or that the legislature is considering even voting on it, much less passing it.

Lone legislators all over the country -- and in DC -- propose all kinds of utterly insane bills all the time; literally every day. That doesn't mean "the state" is considering them. In nearly all cases, the legislator never even wanted their bill to be considered. They just wanted to be able to tell a constituent or constituents that they introduced legislation on the floor that would blah blah blah.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Idiots. Just try baking bread without any salt. Won't rise properly.

In addition, the long accepted "truth" that salt causes high blood pressure has been pretty much debunked.

And if you liked the Leary line, you need to see this video of his: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrgpZ0fUixs&feature=channel
    urbino:
    kuzi16:

PROHIBITION ON SALT...

the state seems to feel that it can tell people what and what not to eat, and how chefs can run their restaurants.
    I don't see any evidence that the state feels that way. I see that one legislator has proposed an insane bill, but the googlez didn't turn up any reports that the bill is getting any support at all, or a committee hearing, or that the legislature is considering even voting on it, much less passing it.

Lone legislators all over the country -- and in DC -- propose all kinds of utterly insane bills all the time; literally every day. That doesn't mean "the state" is considering them. In nearly all cases, the legislator never even wanted their bill to be considered. They just wanted to be able to tell a constituent or constituents that they introduced legislation on the floor that would blah blah blah.
    the proposed bill isnt worth the paper it is written on. it should have just been laughed out of town. the only reason why anyone gave this any "salt" is because there actually WAS a ban on other foods that are easy to avoid: trans fats.

now i know there are some very major differences here. what it comes down to is the right to choose what you put in your own body, the body that you and you alone own. its not about this bill alone. it is about the attitude that the government (any part of it including one lowly state pee-on) knows what is better for me than i do. we have also already seen similar attacks on sugars including proposed taxes on them. ive seen rumors about taxes on fatty foods.

none of these things, no matter how bad they are for you, or seem to be bad for you should ever be taxed or banned. its my body damnit.
    urbino:
    They just wanted to be able to tell a constituent or constituents that they introduced legislation on the floor that would blah blah blah.
    yes. root cause here.
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Dude as a NY resident ........... this state just wants to do the most effed up **** ever ..... in NY the tax per cigar is already 37% and they want to raise is 11% up to 48% ..... they want to implement a tax on sugary drink ( pop diet pop, bottled tea, juice ) and they also want to place a tax on bottled water ..... so basically the only drink would be spring water that you already have hooked up via a tap in your home as tap is already taxxed ...... it never ends in NY they always want to tax the in thing or anything that sells ..... they also tax anyone with a cellular device the highest in the us ........... This state is a joke and our governor ...... i can only say 1 thing about George ......... " He Lacks Vision " ......... i could care less that Spitzer spent 5 grand a night to have freaky sex with a smoking hot chick because you know his wife miss straight lace aint gonna do it ... same goes for Tiger ....... How many men across the country cheat and its not a big deal because they arent in the public eye or arent insanely rich ......... we did nothing about our presidents who had the same indiscretions on numerous occasions ..... at least Spitzer was doing his job and attempting to change this state ..... now were doomed since we are gonna have another Cuomo as governor ..... that kids father was an idiot and the nut does not fall far from tree
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Cuomo is spitzer's protege' - almost hand-picked; they go together like a hand in a glove IMO. They all need to be tossed out
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    No salt because it is for "bad" for us, huh? Junk science at it's best!