Home Non Cigar Related

web babble

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

Huh?

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, right. I understand completely. 🙄

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jlmarta said:

If you could kindly explain to the rest of us, I'd appreciate that.
    Thanks in advance.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

I'm guessing that must be a word-for-word translation from, say, Chinese to English.

I remember seeing a McDonald's ad on a billboard in Germany that read:
    "Hanchen wie nach nie!" (I think)

I got out my German/English dictionary and translated it word for word, which turned into:
    "Chicken how then never!" Again, huh?

So I went and talked to a German friend of mine about it, who laughed and said that the translation I would understand, what it meant to Germans, was:
    "Chicken like never before!"

Much is lost in translation.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    I'm guessing that must be a word-for-word translation from, say, Chinese to English.

I remember seeing a McDonald's ad on a billboard in Germany that read:
    "Hanchen wie nach nie!" (I think)

I got out my German/English dictionary and translated it word for word, which turned into:
    "Chicken how then never!" Again, huh?

So I went and talked to a German friend of mine about it, who laughed and said that the translation I would understand, what it meant to Germans, was:
    "Chicken like never before!"

Much is lost in translation.

That’s what I was thinking.

Did you ever hear
    Ich verstehe nur bahnhof

edited May 2021

I only understand train station?

It's been so long. I've forgotten so much.

Word for word yes but it’s their version of “it’s all Greek to me”

• Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    I only understand train station?

It's been so long. I've forgotten so much.

That’s what I got too. Im Himmel giebst kein Bier.

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...

Und so wir trink es hier...

Or something close to that

Genau!

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@webmost said:

@jlmarta said:

If you could kindly explain to the rest of us, I'd appreciate that.
    Thanks in advance.

Didja notice the eyes rolled skyward, indicating sarcasm?

@Trykflyr_1 said:
    Genau!

I knew all those hours and hours of "cultural studies" in the beer tent would pay off someday!

I called those art appreciation sessions. Also seemed the farther north you went in Germany, the prettier the girls became.

edited May 2021

@deadman said:
    Word for word yes but it’s their version of “it’s all Greek to me”

I was out on the tractor, mowing, when this suddenly made sense to me. I imagined a couple of Germans using the phrase, and it came to me that a German to American translation should sound like "All I got was train station".

Now, I don't know if every unit did this, but before shipping to Germany our company had to go to 2 weeks of classes in basic German. Two of the three things* that virtually every G.I. remembered were how to order a beer, and how to ask for directions to the train station. If you can get to the train station, you can find your way home.

So, how many Germans must have endured having a bunch of G.I.'s come up to them and mangling their language with bad grammar, syntax, and accent, and one German turns to the other and asks "Did you understand that?", to which the obvious reply is "All I caught was train station" (Bahnhof).

Makes perfect sense, now.

• The third thing was Pufhaus, which we didn't actually learn in class, but rather from the experience of those who'd been there before.

My biggest hang up with German is the different cases

Took me a couple years to get the sentence structure worked out.

No joke it gets tricky.

• Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Trykflyr_1 said:
    I called those art appreciation sessions. Also seemed the farther north you went in Germany, the prettier the girls became.

Buddy I spent my 3 years in Bremerhaven. The girls there were NOT pretty!

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

@webmost said:

I've thought about this awhile, don't ask me why, and I think it's a low budget AI translation of a post by a Chinese businessman that should read something like:

"Embarassingly enough, the whole deal fell through because some dumbass South Korean businessman stuck his thing in the wrong hole without a condom. Nothing is happening, it's a dead deal."

@Diver43 said:

Buddy I spent my 3 years in Bremerhaven. The girls there were NOT pretty!

Shoulda tried Wilhelmshaven & Flensburg up in Neidersachsen. They have that whole Scandanavian influence going on. I wish they all could be Neidersachsen girls....🎶🎶