Home Cigar 101

Humi stuff

ScionScion Posts: 20

i have grown up helping my father in his woodshop so naturally i have inherited some woodworking skills and was thinking about attempting to create my own humi. i am running a cigar box atm and can only fit about 15 cigars if im lucky and i cant fit a toro inside. naturally this is a bit more maintenance than i want to tackle too as im adjusting my humidity levels way too often...

So what makes a good humi

I know it has to have a good seal and the lining should be of Spanish cedar with a waterproof lining outside the cedar.

But does anyone else have any suggestions and has anyone attempted this?
i typically just learn as i go along although this i predict to be a expensive project.

If i gain the balls to try this project i will post my process.

Comments

• dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    You can get the wood from Rockler. The only advice I can give you is that you'll probably find a lot of Spanish Cedar veneer that says it's "perfect for lining cigar boxes or humidors" but that's baloney. You need something thicker than a veneer, and I wouldn't want all that glue in my humidor. Rockler also sells smaller Spanish Cedar planks and some really nice hinges for use on a humidor. You could use a veneer or a nice finish for the outside of the box. If I were doing it myself, I would probably construct the box of Spanish Cedar, and then do the outside with a veneer.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I agree Veneer the outside but use solid Spanish Cedar for the inside.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    use titebond as the glue. its good stuff. Go for size when you build your own. also have plenty of trays for organization. there are ways for temp controll and what not. power inside the box is always nice. iduno. go and look up as many humidors as you can online and pick out what you like in each. design from there.
  • DiasFlakDiasFlak Posts: 342 ✭✭
    yeah my new humi i bought has power inside it roooocks!!!!!!!!!
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    DiasFlak:
    Man, I wish my wife would break some of my stuff too. Who makes this box Dias ?
  • ScionScion Posts: 20
    kaspera79:
    DiasFlak:
    wow i never thought about temp control. although that makes a lot of since.... thanks for the great ideas... and yes i will be going for size
  • I am interested in your progress on this one, Scion, as I will be tackling the same project when I get back home in a couple of months. As I build mine I will be making an online journal of my progress so that others can avoid the mistakes I will undoubtedly make. But until I get back and have the time, I am just picking up pointers and buying materials. Please do update us though as you go along.
  • DiasFlakDiasFlak Posts: 342 ✭✭
    kaspera79:
    DiasFlak:
    kas i sent you a pm!
  • ScionScion Posts: 20
    suprchunk:
    I am interested in your progress on this one, Scion, as I will be tackling the same project when I get back home in a couple of months. As I build mine I will be making an online journal of my progress so that others can avoid the mistakes I will undoubtedly make. But until I get back and have the time, I am just picking up pointers and buying materials. Please do update us though as you go along.
    i plan to get the materials around the beginning of next month... i will online journal mine as well