Home General Discussion

Repairing Bugatti CEO Lighter Trigger

YaksterYakster Posts: 25,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
I dropped my Bugatti CEO Lighter from about two feet above my pavers which caused the trigger to pop and make it so the lighter wouldn't light.  @Bob_Luken on the vHerf last night said that you can fix this, so I went in and fixed it, and I took some photos along the way.  Working a champ now.  I purged the lighter before starting this, but this may not be strictly necessary.

Remove the phillips screw in the bottom and then slide the side panels of the lighter down over a pan so you don't lose the parts that are going to fly out when you open the lighter up.

These are the parts that fly out, a spring and plastic cap that keep the cigar punch door at the bottom from swinging in the breeze.  It applies enough pressure to a cam on the door to keep it open or shut.  Put these parts in the hole when you're ready to slide the sides back on.  Don't put the plastic cap in the hole without the spring first or you'll be trying to pry it out again, don't ask me how I know this.   D 

Here's the trigger, when it fell it no longer was able to pull down the latch that opens the gas and sparks the fire.  You'll put this trigger on the lighter without the side panels on and then slip the side panels on underneath the top part of the trigger.

Sorry for the bad photo, the squarish metal part shown in the slot is the trigger catch, the trigger needs to be on top of this (to the right).  I stuck some tweezers in to pull the latch down to make this easier, it's normally almost all the way to the top (right).

Put the trigger on over the latch and then you can remove the tweezers.  At this point you'll want to make sure that you put the spring and the cap in the hole at the bottom before you slide the side panels on, and then put the screw back in.

If this happens to your lighter, don't throw it away, give this a try.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
Tagged:

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great repair tutorial. (Except for the blurry pics. LOL) 

I really like the Bugatti CEO. (Just don't drop 'em. LOL) The first one I got was a freebie with a box purchase. It turned out to be a great lighter. I bought a second one when they went on sale. It has a built-in punch and a fuel window.  
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bumping this because I dropped my lighter again. 

• Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are they still making the CEO because I tried to order one online and they say they are back ordered and don't know if they will get them back in stock.
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
    edited November 2017
    I took Bob's advice and tucked it into my waistband to keep it warm so it'll have enough pressure to light, but forgot about it and it fell went I stood up. 

Winter is coming, a temperate, California winter, sure, but winter nonetheless. 

I fixed the lighter, but lost the little shooting that keeps the punch cutter shut so I took Bob's vHerf advice and put a leather strap on it. 

Bump

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How did I make my Alec Bradley Burner ignite? It won't spark any more.  :'(
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yah, I read that last week.  Short of buying one of those long lighters and trying to swap the igniter, I've done everything I could think to do.  I'll probably toss it.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

Random bump.

• CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    Bumping this because I dropped my lighter again. 

You need a Eagle torch. You can drop them and kick them and they still work. Totally putz proof.

They're just backups now, I use the Xikar Turrim double flame lighters now.

@Yakster said:

That xikar triple flame I got a while back is still going strong. Fires right up but is a bit too much and causes over scorch on the foot but it well built and functions well. I'll probably use it to start fires in the fireplace during winter and summer camping. It's a beast.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CAcigarguy007 said:

@Yakster said:

That xikar triple flame I got a while back is still going strong. Fires right up but is a bit too much and causes over scorch on the foot but it well built and functions well. I'll probably use it to start fires in the fireplace during winter and summer camping. It's a beast.

You got a great deal on that one, as I remember. Cigar page 30 bucks or something?

Don't look ↑

@VegasFrank said:

@CAcigarguy007 said:

@Yakster said:

You got a great deal on that one, as I remember. Cigar page 30 bucks or something?

Yup. Good buy.