Home General Discussion

Booming cigar orders and lots of stuff out of stock. Good news & bad news?

CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was reading this article from Cigar Aficionado ( https://www.cigaraficionado.com/article/booming-cigar-shipments-continue ) and it mentions cigar "numbers comparable to the 1990's cigar boom". While that may be great news for the industry as a whole, a repeat of the 1990's cigar boom isn't an encouraging memory for cigar consumers. I've also noticed a lot of stuff is out of stock at many cigar etailors, even the big guys.

Anyone worried about rushed production or shortcuts to rush product out the door? I've been much more selective with acquisitions lately and have plenty of older stock so I haven't seen any signs of reduction in quality (even in the more recent stuff). Maybe the industry learned their lesson and it will be different this time and quality will be maintained? No more Don Nobody cardboard tasting cigars this time round and maybe the boom won't go bust? Anyone noticing quality issues yet?

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure, I tried a HVC Hot Cakes ROTT and it didn't impress me with much flavor. I've been meaning to go back and try one again and see how it tastes with some several weeks of rest on it.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve been toying with the notion of giving up cigars altogether. Maybe it’s just me, but I’ve noticed lately that damned near every cigar I have tastes just like all the others.

Even the higher priced brands and blends seem to be affected. Maybe it’s time for me to have my taste buds overhauled - or at least tuned up….👍👴🏻

• CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jlmarta said:
    I’ve been toying with the notion of giving up cigars altogether. Maybe it’s just me, but I’ve noticed lately that damned near every cigar I have tastes just like all the others.

Even the higher priced brands and blends seem to be affected. Maybe it’s time for me to have my taste buds overhauled - or at least tuned up….👍👴🏻

Cigar burn out can happen. I've had it happen a few times actually. Usually taking a break for a while can sometimes help with that. Some medications can screw up taste buds as well but for me it's usually burn out from too many cigars too often. I also like to mix it up sometimes with various blends, wrappers and strengths. Too many full bodied smash mouth cigars can leave your palate fried and lead to carry over and dull the flavors. A week or two off and the flavors return right as rain. I also tend to enjoy cigars less when it's really hot out for some reason. Appreciate your input!

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^ don't forget depression; it dulls what we once delighted in.

And sometimes we just shift gears and go in different directions. Just because we're devoted to the leaf, doesn't mean we always will or should be.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

@Yakster said:
    Not sure, I tried a HVC Hot Cakes ROTT and it didn't impress me with much flavor. I've been meaning to go back and try one again and see how it tastes with some several weeks of rest on it.

I forgot to mention that I picked up the Hot Cakes on a deal and they were back ordered quite a while due to demand. Trying another now.

• Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jlmarta said:

I can definitely see your point here. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that most of us have tried all the variations of tobaccos being used. At one time different makers were known for using certain leaves. Now everyone and their uncle are in the game and there are only so many variations to go around. The “wow” factor is dissipating because there’s not much new.

Today's Hot Cake was much better with rest.

• CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rdp77 said:

@jlmarta said:

I can definitely see your point here. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that most of us have tried all the variations of tobaccos being used. At one time different makers were known for using certain leaves. Now everyone and their uncle are in the game and there are only so many variations to go around. The “wow” factor is dissipating because there’s not much new.

That's what spawned the limited edition "secret" blends. There is only so much tobacco components on the market and many cigar brands don't farm or even manufacture cigars. The whole "boutique" craze is really just a clever marketing campaign.

Once you've smoked enough cigars, you'll be able to pick out components and variations of profiles. That said, while I may no longer be enamored by backstories, labels, and BS, there are plenty of cigars to keep me interested and enough selective new stuff to keep me excited.

I try and stick with farmers and manufacturers mostly as I figure everyone else is getting their supplies from them anyway; and they most likely keep the best stuff for their branded products first and their publicly associated contracts second.