Home General Discussion
Options

The sleeper has awakened

OneisnoneOneisnone Posts: 459 ✭✭✭✭✭

While chatting with @Usaf06 a few weeks back, he urged me to stop by. Much has changed over the last four years (yes, it has been that long.) The kids are off to school and we have moved to a large farm here in PA !- both have allowed more time and space for cigars. And hopefully pipes too, but I have no experience there. Would enjoy connecting with @Bigshizza @jliu @peter4jc @Nolagizmo @Glock1975 @cbuck , all of the others that I missed and new members.

Comments

• Options
    EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good dune reference…welcome back

• Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back

• Options
    cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back!

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back. What are you farming?

• Options

@silvermouse said:
    Welcome back. What are you farming?

There are several hay fields. No plans to plant more than the stuff we can eat/share with friends and family. This morning I put in 4 different types of garlic. This is more of an R&R place, despite the fact that there is stuff to do everyday.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey, Michael, or Mike! It's been so long I forgot which you prefer. I've seen some of your posts on FB, which gives a partial picture. We're glad to have you posting, and hope a vHerf sighting will happen soon.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

@peter4jc said:
    Hey, Michael, or Mike! It's been so long I forgot which you prefer. I've seen some of your posts on FB, which gives a partial picture. We're glad to have you posting, and hope a vHerf sighting will happen soon.

Either is fine. Nina asked me last week if you are still roasting coffee. If so, lets connect on an order. I work from here most days so vHerf is easy. Let me know how to join.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

@Oneisnone
    Here's the Zoom vHerf link (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020)

Peter may still be on right now.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Oneisnone
    Good to see you back.

Questions.
    You bought a farm or bought land and turned it into a farm?
    Was it already prepped as a farm?
    Was machinery part of the deal or did you end up having to purchase later?

I'm asking, cause we are looking at buying 20 acres and other than several having barns, shops, a house, pond and those types of things, we have no idea what we will need, other than tractor, mower, etc.
    Well, I'm probably buying and excavator and backhoe, but not specifically for the property. ;)

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look forward to meeting you, @Oneisnone

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options

@0patience said:
    @Oneisnone
    Good to see you back.

Questions.
    You bought a farm or bought land and turned it into a farm?
    Was it already prepped as a farm?
    Was machinery part of the deal or did you end up having to purchase later?

I'm asking, cause we are looking at buying 20 acres and other than several having barns, shops, a house, pond and those types of things, we have no idea what we will need, other than tractor, mower, etc.
    Well, I'm probably buying and excavator and backhoe, but not specifically for the property. ;)

We made the mistake of purchasing equipment before we moved. That was a mistake. The tractor was too small and needed to be swapped out week two. The best investment was a larger zero turn mower, allows me to get everything done in about 2 hours. Most of the property is hay fields and woodland. The fields are established and a local farmer cuts and bales them 3x/yr. There is a long list of stuff that is farm/property specific that has worked well for us. I am happy to share info and ideas.

• Options

Sounds like similar property to what we are looking at.
    The bad thing is, I gave to sell equipment here, just to buy it when we get there.
    The good thing is, my equipment is newer and will sell for more than the equipment we are looking to get.

We were looking at having a local farmer mow the fields, but don't know how that works.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

@0patience said:
    The bad thing is, I gave to sell equipment here, just to buy it when we get there.
    The good thing is, my equipment is newer and will sell for more than the equipment we are looking to get.

We were looking at having a local farmer mow the fields, but don't know how that works.

What I did when I first moved here was to talk to a guy nearby who sells hay. He cut the fields for the first couple years, paid me at the end of the year. I've only got about 10 acres in fields, so it wasn't much money, but still nice to get paid instead of paying.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@0patience said:

What I did when I first moved here was to talk to a guy nearby who sells hay. He cut the fields for the first couple years, paid me at the end of the year. I've only got about 10 acres in fields, so it wasn't much money, but still nice to get paid instead of paying.

That sounds like a reasonable deal. I wouldn't mind something like that.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said: