Home Non Cigar Related

Which side are you on?

VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know this can get a little heated and I hope we can all keep this civil. When you throw out an empty bottle, after you finish it, do you put the cap back on when you trash/recycle the bottle or toss the cap on its own? Twist off only.

Which side are you on? 26 votes

Cap on
61%
Dark_Roast0patiencewebmostVisionBob_Lukenrsherman24CharlieHeisStubbleUsaf06skydiverDYaksterdeadmanGrawlsForMudBullSquatchJrflickster 16 votes
Cap on is own
30%
First_WarriorWaterNerdWylaffsilvermouseDeadstroke174TBonzCtheHamRdp77 8 votes
Other (please explain)
7%
VegasFrankTrykflyr_1 2 votes

Comments

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cap on

I dont recycle for the most part. I saw that like 75% of recycled material doesn't get recycled but sent to 3rd world countries to dispose of. Has to do with the cost of recycle vs cost of getting rid of it. Tons of it ends up in the water ways and eventually into the ocean. I rather it sit in a landfill locally then in an ocean.

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cap on is own

my town has started processing glass for use as filler in pavement, it helps if the metal is removed. Metal cans and plastic is shipped off...somewhere. Scrap metal is sold. Recycled trash costs the town about half what unsorted trash costs. The landfill has been capped and all trash is shipped off Cape by train due to our sandy soil being the sole aquifer. Oil is recycled. Paper is shipped off to be burned and the heat is used to generate electricity. Corrugated cardboard is recycled (but no greasy pizza boxes please). Branches and leaves are chipped and composted then offered back to citizens for free as compost or mulch. Hazardous materials like florescent lights, nicads, refrigerants, and electronics all get handled appropriately. Twice a year hazardous chemicals and paints etc. are collected.

more on glass recycling here:
    https://cen.acs.org/materials/inorganic-chemistry/glass-recycling-US-broken/97/i6

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cap on

Where I live, if you toss an empty bottle in the recycle without the cap, it is inviting critters and bugs into the recycle.
    Even washing them out, doesn't prevent this. So we leave the cap on.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I am in a large building (businesses, schools, stadiums, etc.) I put the cap back on and into the bin. every can no matter what it is labeled goes into the trash. At home cap in garbage bottle in recycling.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Cap on
    1. Why are you asking? Is this going to help you solve a dispute,... or make a decision?
    2. Are you talking about plastic AND glass? Maybe you meant glass because some of those have metal caps and that might be a problem at some point. Otherwise what difference would it make for plastic bottles with plastic caps?
    3. Is this really about politics? You said, "I know this can get a little heated and I hope we can all keep this civil". Are you trying to demonstrate how we can be civil if we discuss differing opinions as long as we don't have our brains polluted with false ideas about the other side's motivations?
    Post edited by Bob_Luken on
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

I eat the caps and throw out the bottles.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

Cap on is own

sides are like magazine subscriptions

• skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cap on

I am assuming we are talking about all plastic bottles, yes? I put the cap back on, but still toss it into the recycle bin, and hope for the best. Even if you toss the cap separate, there is still that annoying retaining ring, which was part of the cap until you open the bottle for the first time. Does that also need to be removed for the bottle to be considered "Cap Free"? Such deep thoughts before my coffee. :D

How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want me to type out a long explanation and take up a bunch of my time you have to ask a more pertinent question.

Or..... this is a contest and everyone responding gets entered into the drawing.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cap on is own

We leave the caps off plastic and glass. Caps, if metal go into metal bin if plastic in plastic bin. If I take the caps off plastic bottles I can crush the bottle so it takes up less space in the plastic bin.

• VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cap on

@Bob_Luken said:
    1. Why are you asking? Is this going to help you solve a dispute,... or make a decision?
    2. Are you talking about plastic AND glass? Maybe you meant glass because some of those have metal caps and that might be a problem at some point. Otherwise what difference would it make for plastic bottles with plastic caps?
    3. Is this really about politics? You said, "I know this can get a little heated and I hope we can all keep this civil". Are you trying to demonstrate how we can be civil if we discuss differing opinions as long as we don't have our brains polluted with false ideas about the other side's motivations?

1. I was at the gym and a friend asked “Why the eff do you put the cap on before you toss your water bottle?” It got me thinking of I’m the only one who caps before
    2. Twist off only. Doesn’t matter the material.
    3. No. No politics. Pure sarcasm.
    Cap on

@Vision said:

@Bob_Luken said:

1. I was at the gym and a friend asked “Why the eff do you put the cap on before you toss your water bottle?” It got me thinking of I’m the only one who caps before
    2. Twist off only. Doesn’t matter the material.
    3. No. No politics. Pure sarcasm.

I thought it was worth googling,.... actually some municipalities have asked citizens to leave the caps off when recycling because as the bottles go into the crusher they would shoot caps out at great speed when enough pressure forced them off the bottle, and also because the caps are a different type of plastic and required separate recycling methods.

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cap on

I’m in the country, we are required to recycle but it only runs every other week. I have to cap it with no air to make room.

• ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cap on

My wife told me not to crush the bottles because the guy at the center said a crushed bottle might get shot out of the machine and hit someone...Nothing about the leaving the the cap on.

Cap on

Usually, but not always, I'll put the cap on plastic bottles when I put them in the trash. And usually, but not always, I'll crush it first to save room.

• VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cap on

@CalvinAndHobo said:
    I’m not voting or contributing because I still think this is a contest of some kind.

It wasn’t…….

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (please explain)

@Jrflickster said:
    Cap on because I can crush the bottle seal it and it doesn't blow back up

This is what I do so my garbage bags don't fill up with air. I hate taking the trash out.

I don't recycle. Here in Vegas, we get one black (trash) can and one blue (recycle) can that we have to rent from the trash company. I use the black one as a trash can and the blue one as my second trash can.

They say that a lot of people doing a little can make a big difference and I believe that. I hope they're doing it!

Don't look ↑
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cap on

Same framework, different question, what do you do with the plastic jar of peanut butter when your done with it?

1. Wash out the remains?
    2. Lid on or off?
    3. Trash or recycling?
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wash out and and save it to put screws in.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cap on is own

People actually eat that shìt???

Cap on is own

wash, cap off, recycle

• First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cap on is own

We buy organic bulk PB in quart plastic jars with snap on lids so we wash the jars, and reuse them in the freezer for stock, tomato sauce, etc.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cap on

My hesitancy to clean out peanut butter jars (my Wife eats a lot of peanut butter) is the water usage in this extreme drought area of California.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    My hesitancy to clean out peanut butter jars (my Wife eats a lot of peanut butter) is the water usage in this extreme drought area of California.

I wonder how it would go if you put Mountain Dew in there and sealed it for a day.

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cap on

@CalvinAndHobo said:

@Yakster said:

I wonder how it would go if you put Mountain Dew in there and sealed it for a day.

Think regular Coke would work better