Home General Discussion

Storing at cooler temps and remove cellophane or not?

Seeking advice!

When I search for these questions, I get different answers.

I have an Audew JC-23C1 Electronic Cigar Cooler, with the cooler weather it drops below the temp/ setting {normal for this unit}. Right now the temp is 62, my Bovida packs are providing about 67rh at this temp. Is this safe?

I've read that some cigar dealers store cigars at 60 degrees.

The other question is removing the cellophane. I just read you should remove the cellophane so the humidity can reach the cigars!

Comments

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

DZR, you know to leave the cellophane on, and as long cigars are smoking good they are fine.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

I have the audew unit. I've noticed that sometimes when I have it on the highest setting, 70 or 71, it will sometimes fail to shut in a timely manner, resulting in a 62 or 61 degree reading.

Anything in the 60s (temp or rh) is fine.

Some cigars come with cellophane. Do you think that manufacturers would pack them in a way that harms a consumer's enjoyment of them?

Some cigars come without cellophane. Do you think that manufacturers would pack them in a way that harms a consumer's enjoyment of them?

You can trust the manufacturers, but you can also do what you want with the cello.

Don't look ↑
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

60s is fine, leave the cello on

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

edited November 2021

I don't think that Phil is DZR. He's been registered and posting questions sporadically for months. that'd be a helluva dumb joke for a stupid low payoff. I'm not saying that DZR isn't sociopathic enough not to do it, but I'm saying that this isn't him in this case.

That audew unit is really neat but isn't exactly turnkey. It's a little tricky. I'd have had the same question had it been my first or second humidor.

Carry on Phil, my wayward son. Share what you're smoking in the sharing threads, and let Peter pop his popcorn!

Don't look ↑
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

• VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey guys! What’s going on in here??

• VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

But wait… I thought 75/75 was great for starting plume 🤔

edited November 2021

@Bob_Luken said:

@Patrickbrick said:
    DZR, you know to leave the cellophane on, and as long cigars are smoking good they are fine.

@VegasFrank said:
    I don't think that Phil is DZR. Blah blah blah blah,blah blah blaaaah. Blah blah blah blah blah,blah blaaah,...... blah blah blah,blah.

That audew unit is really neat but blah,blah blah blah,blah. Blah blah blah,blah blah,blah. I'd blah blah same blah blah blah,blah my first or second blah,blah,blah.

Carry on Phil, blah blah blah,blah blah blaaaah. Blah blah blah blah blah,blah blaaah,...... blah blah blah,blah. popcorn!

FIFY

Don't look ↑
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the 62% Bovedas, especially in my winedor and crates where the humidity always seems a few points higher. Lots like the 65%'s, makes them easier to smoke without worrying about taking them out and dry boxing them first. It depends on how humid the environment you live in is, though, minimizing the difference while staying in the 60s seems to help.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • PhilPhil Posts: 8

Wow, I didn’t know I could cause such grieve for some just asking a question or two. Excuse me for asking. I thought this was a friendly forum!

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a friendly forum... Stick around and we'll let you join in on the fun next year when five more fine fellows ask the same things.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

@Phil its a very friendly forum. We all catch hell from each other. It’s just part of it. Introduce yourself in the newbie welcoming thread and what you’re smoking in the morning, afternoon, and night threads. Contributing and not just asking questions tends to make the mean old codgers around here warm up to ya....well, maybe not lol but it’s your best chance

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Phil said:
    Wow, I didn’t know I could cause such grieve for some just asking a question or two. Excuse me for asking. I thought this was a friendly forum!

Your questions were answered more than once amongst the friendly banter.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.

Don't worry about it Phil. Forums are filled with old guys because they don't like social media. Old guys are grumpy because they can't feel their toes and their peckers won't stand up on command anymore. You had good questions and I gave you a bunch of good answers I think. Stick around and have fun.

Don't look ↑

And DZR is a reference to a forum member who is notorious for making fake usernames and asking questions. We, in response, are famous for giving the DZR fake accounts a hard time. It's super friendly, I promise.

Don't look ↑
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

It's a friendly forum, but it's not Wikipedia so you may have to make an effort to fit in if you're looking for more than just a Google Bltch.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:
    And DZR is a reference to a forum member who is notorious for making fake usernames and asking questions. We, in response, are famous for giving the DZR fake accounts a hard time. It's super friendly, I promise.

And you're still blah blah blahing the fV[I< out of it.

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's never too early for popcorn. Welcome to the forum @Phil.

A little dirt never hurt

@Bob_Luken said:

@VegasFrank said:

And you're still blah blah blahing the fV[I< out of it.

Don't worry about Bob, Phil. He's probably just constipated.

Don't look ↑
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    It's a friendly forum, but it's not Wikipedia so you may have to make an effort to fit in if you're looking for more than just a Google Bltch.

Best thought of the thread.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis