Home Non Cigar Related

Is the Post Office closed today?

Comments

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep yep, I was surprised to see my post office open today when I dropped off my packages

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

Closed tomorrow, open Saturday.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 16,184 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you have that backwards, Chris.

Post Office locations nationwide will be open on New Year’s Eve, Friday, December 31.
    New Year’s Day, Saturday, January 1, is a Postal holiday. Post Office locations are closed New Year’s Day.
    All Post Office locations will open and resume regular mail delivery on Monday, January 3, 2022.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

I think Peter is right, I got that holiday schedule off the USPS site, very confusing.

?

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes, closed President's Day

Open today, get your Christmas packages sent while there's still time.

Probably closed tomorrow.

Thank you, @Stubble

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post office is closed, but the mailman delivered a bunch of packages today. Go figure.

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.

I think it's going to be closed on the 20th for President's Day.

@Yakster said:
    I think it's going to be closed on the 20th for President's Day.

Too far out, you'll have to remind us again when it's closer.

• Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes

I think you're funnin' me, Rusty. I believe I'll just drive to the PO station and find out.

Oops, I forgot to remind you guys.

• TRayBTRayB Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not only did I attempt to go to the post office this morning, I also stopped at my mailbox this afternoon, for which I have to exit the vehicle to check for mail. What an idiot.

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TRayB said:
    Not only did I attempt to go to the post office this morning, I also stopped at my mailbox this afternoon, for which I have to exit the vehicle to check for mail. What an idiot.

I checked my mailbox too, even after I had read these posts earlier in the day.

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

@webmost said:

@ShawnOL said:
    What the hell is Juneteenth? Celebrating more nonsense?

Lincoln proclaimed emancipation of slaves in unconquered Confederate states in what, 1863? It was a war measure to raise hell behind enemy lines. It wasn't until two years later, June 19th 1865, that Union soldiers brought emancipation to Texas. Negroes began to celebrate, dancing in the streets. That is what inspired Juneteenth.

750,000 soldiers died in the Civil War. That's 2 1/2% of the populationm at the time. If 2.5% died today, that would be round about seven million. About 8k have died in Iraq and Afghanistan. Think about it.

Soldiers on both sides were conscripted. Think about that. Is it more fun to be enslaved for labor or for murder?

Southern soldiers were outnumbered 2 1/2 to one. So Democrats didn't stand a chance in the end. Especially since both industry and boatbuilding were concentrated in the North.

Juneteenth didn't end slavery in the Western Hemisphere. Brazil had slaves until almost the end of the century.

It didn't end slavery world wide, either. In fact, just a couple years ago, when Trump kicked ISIS' butt, thousands of sex slaves were freed. I remember when Mauritania officially made slavery illegal in Bush's time. But making it illegal didn't end it. Just made Mauritania smell better to the UN, I spose. Prolly some kinda monetary aid on the table.

I really think there ought to be something or other to commemorate the British Anti-Slavery Society that promoted the idea of universal freedom for so long. Same society flourished among the Quakers here. The idea was derived from the European Enlightenment the century before. Certainly, the world owes a great debt to the British Navy finally turning that idea into reality round the world. Ironically, that same navy was manned by pressed sailors during that era. So you had crews of white Brits conked on the head and dragged to sea to end slave traffic from Zanzibar to Coromandel, both ways around. History is stranger than fiction.

When considered comprehensively, near universal manumission is a magnificent achievement of white supremacy only made possible by imperialism. Wrap your head around that.

The people who make it their obsession to know complain that there are more millions of slaves now than ever... partly as an unintended consequence of ending imperialism, and partly as forced labor. Estimates vary around forty million. They don't just count Uighurs forced to make your iPhones, but include oriental fishing boats, the gal who gave Bob Kraft a happy ending, Chinese organ harvesting, and even African children in rebel armies. Just last year, a half dozen youngsters from Mali tried to sue Nestle here in the USA because they had been kidnapped and forced to pick chocolate in Ivory Coast. Cobalt, so crucial to making batteries on which the green revolution depends, is notoriously mined in the Congo by forced child labor. As a result, couple years ago, a similar law suit was brought by several Congolese parents against everyone from Apple to Google to Microsoft and Dell. Lawyers get rich but slavery continues.

Then there's this, from Winston Churchill:

The fact that in Mohammedan law every woman must belong to some man as his absolute property – either as a child, a wife, or a concubine – must delay the final extinction of slavery until the faith of Islam has ceased to be a great power among men.

... and now back to your regularly scheduled programming

I miss Davis, he was a deep thinker, even on postal issues.

A little dirt never hurt

It was closed yesterday for Juneteenth. Wish I had thought to post this earlier, especially considering my son is a postal carrier now.

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

I figured it out when the doors were locked. ;)

Trapped in the People's Communist Republic of Massachusetts.

Oh yeah, it was closed yesterday.

I've got 20/20 hindsight, even with a postman in the house.

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t sweat it Chris. I like it better when one of us goes to the post office on a holiday and rattles the doorknob, then posts on this thread about it. Schadenfreude!

• StubbleStubble Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023

Need to automate this thread too. @Yakster 😉

CLOSED.

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?

True and I should have known better since my son doesn't work today.

@Stubble said:
    Need to automate this thread too. @Yakster 😉

CLOSED.

Did you find out the hard way?

USPS will be closed next Thursday November 23rd for Thanksgiving.

Closed today because it's Sunday and closed tomorrow because of Christmas.