Home Cigar 101

Cigars that get wet from humidor fluid

Hi- I have several humidors, many of which have large distilled water humidifiers in them that are magnetic. The metal plates that stick to the humidification units are stuck to the humi with "sticky tape". I've several of these tape plates come loose from the humi and the humidifier falls onto my cigars, causing them to absorb the humidification fluid. Can these still be smoked after drying out or are they really just ruined? I know it sounds juvenile, but I'm not all that comfortable smoking glycol. Anyone had this problem before and did you dry them and try them? Thanks.

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I've had that happen before, I let the cigar dry out and it smoked fine. The wrapper was a bit discolored, but it didn't affect the taste or burn.
  • chad1955chad1955 Posts: 3
    Thanks. Just wasn't sure and given that I usually buy pretty pricey sticks I didn't want to waste them, nor get "poisoned" either. How about this one: after the sticky tape gives out, how can you remount them so that they stay put? Appreciate the input.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Well you could use a good adhesive glue. What I'd recommend, if possible, is to avoid mounting a humidification device on the lid. I've had much better luck putting them near the bottom. But if there's no other option, a decent adhesive glue should do the trick.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    j0z3r:
    Well you could use a good adhesive glue. What I'd recommend, if possible, is to avoid mounting a humidification device on the lid. I've had much better luck putting them near the bottom. But if there's no other option, a decent adhesive glue should do the trick.

You are going to have to get rid of those pucks relatively soon anyway due to mold etc. I suggest send them to the graveyard early and pick up some beads.! I just got some this year and wish I got them right off the bat!

• chad1955chad1955 Posts: 3
    Thanks to all that answered. I have beads too but tend to run short on room. Too many sticks!! I understand that rationale, so maybe I just need to rearrange a bit...
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Instead of trying to re-glue the puck to the lid you could gently rest it on the pile of cigars on the top shelf. If you're careful no harm will come to your sticks and the puck will always be pointing up, never dripping.