Home Cigar 101

Frustrated/concerned Brand spankin' new part II

Ok guys I really need your help. I am on my 4th cigar now and it has gotten worse and worse every time.

The first cigar that I enjoyed (the one I enjoyed the most) was a "cuban Cohiba" that didn't really have the taste of vanilla but smelled of the most delicious vanilla I have ever smelled. The cigar was probably only a 42 or 44 ring gauge (thats my best guess) and probably only 5 inches; likely a corona. I bought it from a guy who spoke no english in Mexico so I don't know for sure. Anyway, it has been brought to my attention that it was likely a fake even though the band was the Cuban style and was immaculate looking. To be honest, I don't even care because that cigar was magnificent and it is the reason I am interested in cigars at all.

The second cigar I enjoyed was a romeo y juileta. My friend gave me this cigar and once again I have no idea what the size or type was... but it was also really good, but it was no Cohiba (counterfeit or not).

The third cigar I tried on Friday was pretty good but it made me kind of sick. Gave me a big buzz and it almost made me poop my pants... no joke. That cigar was a Puros Indios Viejo 99' limited edition. It burned so great all the way through with a 1 1/2 inch ash at least! I have a picture to back that claim up. Anyway, it was good but like I said it kind of made me sick but I think that was my own fault because I smoked it kind of fast, well, fast for a beginner (40 some minutes).

The last cigar I had tonight was a Graycliff 1666. To be blunt, this cigar pissed me off. I started in and to me it tasted bad. Not sweet and super silky/easy to smoke like the cohiba and not fun and easy to smoke like the Puros Indios. The draw was tight and in fact the cigar kept trying to go out after I had been smoking it for at least 15-20 minutes. Only got to about a 1/2-3/4 inch ash before it literally became a job to keep it going. There was no enjoyment in this cigar for me.

Other things to consider: all the other cigars that I smoked were all done with a punch cut and this was a double guillotine cut. I'm not sure if that would make so much difference but that is just another detail.

So guys I'm sorry for making this so long but I need some advice. What is a good cigar to start with that is fun to smoke and what gives with the Graycliff 1666? Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    If anything, the guillotine cut should have made the draw looser, not tighter.
  • Corymc23Corymc23 Posts: 31
    Thats what I was thinking! Now I'm no cigar aficionado (though I would like to be) but from my volunteer fire-department days I could see a possible problem; the cigar is kind of long and narrow which made it feel kind of like trying to drink a really thick milk-shake out of a regular straw. This would mean that with such a tight area to pull from, oxygen would have a hard time reaching the foot... just a guess.
  • Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Posts: 1,515
    I personally HATE the 1666. I had on good one out of six. All other seemed plugged and were harsh and plain bad tasting to me! Some people like em, some don't. I would reccomend the 5 vegas classic in the torpedo size. Great smoke, creamy, cheap, and delicious!!
    Thanks Alex! I appreciate the tip, I will look into getting one of those.
  • Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Posts: 1,515
    I would send tim an email for a fiver of them. I dont believe 5 vegas is sold in b&ms. Tim will give you a great deal. tblythe@cigar.com
    WOW! Thanks a lot! I really appreciate this! I will do this right now!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    it seems that you like a more mild cigar. check out Cusano 18.
  • Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    I've tried 3 or 4 1666's now and they have all had a tight draw and didn't do too much for me in the flavor dept either. You might also try the ITC 10th anniversary, I had one the other day and it was fantastic! Very creamy and smooth and tasty. The 5 Vegas classic is a good budget smoke as well, tasty and mellow.
  • Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    kuzi16:
    it seems that you like a more mild cigar. check out Cusano 18.
    +1
  • Stryker808Stryker808 Posts: 269
    don't give up yet bro......there is lots to experience......youll find the one soon enough. Part of the fun is experimenting and trying different cigars. you won't find "the one" right off the bat look for some mild to medium samplers. The guys at Cigar.com can help you find your way.
    Hey thanks for all your input guys. There is no chance that I am giving up because cigars are just way too much fun! In any event, thanks again for the help.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    All I can say is keep trying everything you can get your hands on. I used to go into the B&M and shop with my eyes. Big mistake. Now I shop with my nose and my fingers. I pick the sticks up. Feel them. Smell them. And then decide. I'm getting more sticks that I never would have tried before. I bet that blind people would make the best aficionados. They could probably walk into any B&M and pick out the best cigar and it would probably end up costing less than $5. Advertising is a tricky thing. We need it to know what's out there and what they're all about. But ads can be misleading and you may miss out on a gem because the ads aren't very appealing.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • coachjamiecoachjamie Posts: 337
    Corymc23:
    Thats what I was thinking! Now I'm no cigar aficionado (though I would like to be) but from my volunteer fire-department days I could see a possible problem; the cigar is kind of long and narrow which made it feel kind of like trying to drink a really thick milk-shake out of a regular straw. This would mean that with such a tight area to pull from, oxygen would have a hard time reaching the foot... just a guess.

Definitely give the NUB Connecticut and the House Blend Purple Label a try. I am new as well and these 2 cigars are very tasty in my opinion and I am sure you will enjoy them too.
    lilwing88- great advice on shopping with your fingers and nose rather than the eyes. you are right, cool bands get people to buy stuff. What should I be looking for as far as smell goes? I love the smell of Cigars so its kind of unlikely that as of now I would be able to REALLY tell the difference between a cigar that would likely be bad and one that is pretty good. coachjamie- I will for sure try these two cigars. Nub and the Purple house brand. I like the idea of tasty... I'm a food junky too!
    Corymc23:
    lilwing88- great advice on shopping with your fingers and nose rather than the eyes. you are right, cool bands get people to buy stuff. What should I be looking for as far as smell goes? I love the smell of Cigars so its kind of unlikely that as of now I would be able to REALLY tell the difference between a cigar that would likely be bad and one that is pretty good. coachjamie- I will for sure try these two cigars. Nub and the Purple house brand. I like the idea of tasty... I'm a food junky too!
    What I like to do is take a good whiff of the foot first. Is is too bitter smelling? Too cedary? I like to smell rich tobacco when I sniff the end. Then I'll smell the wrapper. If it's a musky leathery smell, cocoa or dark coffee, then I know I'm gonna like it. But it all depends on your preference. I like full bodied, full-flavored dark cigars. If you like milder smokes than look for a sweeter smell on the wrapper. Almost like caramel or chocolate.
    So what would that mean if the foot of the cigar is bitter smelling? I have smelled cigars that have that deep, rich smell and have liked it. To be honest, I don't know what I do and don't like yet. I'm not about to rule out the full bodied- full flavored just yet, there are too many to try! I do think that I would ike the more mild more instantly though. Is that kind of the "acquired taste" effect of alcohol?
    Corymc23:
    So what would that mean if the foot of the cigar is bitter smelling? I have smelled cigars that have that deep, rich smell and have liked it. To be honest, I don't know what I do and don't like yet. I'm not about to rule out the full bodied- full flavored just yet, there are too many to try! I do think that I would ike the more mild more instantly though. Is that kind of the "acquired taste" effect of alcohol?
    The bitter smell could mean one of two things. This was explained to me by someone else, so I may be misinformed, but most cigars are stored for six months or so after production to "rest". Depending on how and where they're stored, they collect some chemicals in the foot, almost like an ammonia. The other reason could just be that it's a bitter tasting cigar. Either way, it puts me off a little when I smell that on the foot of the cigar.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    I hate to be the one to bring this up...but this is not the forum to be discussing "contraband" It is important to remember that cuban cigars are not to be discussed in this forum. guys if I am wrong correct me... You should do some reading and try a cigar that is meduium bodied with complex flavors...see how that sits with you. If all is well maybe try something a bit fuller in body...to see if you favor a milder cigar over a full bodied or full flavored. For a bit try only the guillotine cut to give an equal assessment of the flavor and body. Once you find out what you really like then maybe try a punch to see how that affects the flavor and taste. Once you are able to determine what you really like and able to decide whether you favor a punch or guillotine cut you are well on your way. Take some time to develop your taste and you will be favorably rewarded in the future. You will run across cigars that are not rolled well or have a tight draw...this is just part of the process and doesn't necessarily have to be a deterrent to your experience...it just happens. Take your time and get ready for a long and enjoyable experience.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    mm, Nub Connecticut! You're on the right track - just make sure you keep your sticks humidified properly, and try anything you can. Start off with light cigars (like those mentioned in this thread) and make your way into the medium and full bodied stuff later on, and with a full stomach. :)
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Corymc23:
    Ok guys I really need your help. I am on my 4th cigar now and it has gotten worse and worse every time. The first cigar that I enjoyed (the one I enjoyed the most) was a "cuban Cohiba" that didn't really have the taste of vanilla but smelled of the most delicious vanilla I have ever smelled. The cigar was probably only a 42 or 44 ring gauge (thats my best guess) and probably only 5 inches; likely a corona. I bought it from a guy who spoke no english in Mexico so I don't know for sure. Anyway, it has been brought to my attention that it was likely a fake even though the band was the Cuban style and was immaculate looking. To be honest, I don't even care because that cigar was magnificent and it is the reason I am interested in cigars at all. The second cigar I enjoyed was a romeo y juileta. My friend gave me this cigar and once again I have no idea what the size or type was... but it was also really good, but it was no Cohiba (counterfeit or not). The third cigar I tried on Friday was pretty good but it made me kind of sick. Gave me a big buzz and it almost made me poop my pants... no joke. That cigar was a Puros Indios Viejo 99' limited edition. It burned so great all the way through with a 1 1/2 inch ash at least! I have a picture to back that claim up. Anyway, it was good but like I said it kind of made me sick but I think that was my own fault because I smoked it kind of fast, well, fast for a beginner (40 some minutes). The last cigar I had tonight was a Graycliff 1666. To be blunt, this cigar pissed me off. I started in and to me it tasted bad. Not sweet and super silky/easy to smoke like the cohiba and not fun and easy to smoke like the Puros Indios. The draw was tight and in fact the cigar kept trying to go out after I had been smoking it for at least 15-20 minutes. Only got to about a 1/2-3/4 inch ash before it literally became a job to keep it going. There was no enjoyment in this cigar for me. Other things to consider: all the other cigars that I smoked were all done with a punch cut and this was a double guillotine cut. I'm not sure if that would make so much difference but that is just another detail. So guys I'm sorry for making this so long but I need some advice. What is a good cigar to start with that is fun to smoke and what gives with the Graycliff 1666? Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If you PM me your address I can send you a starter package that helped me out when I was new.
  • The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    Hawk55:
    I hate to be the one to bring this up...but this is not the forum to be discussing "contraband" It is important to remember that cuban cigars are not to be discussed in this forum. guys if I am wrong correct me... You should do some reading and try a cigar that is meduium bodied with complex flavors...see how that sits with you. If all is well maybe try something a bit fuller in body...to see if you favor a milder cigar over a full bodied or full flavored. For a bit try only the guillotine cut to give an equal assessment of the flavor and body. Once you find out what you really like then maybe try a punch to see how that affects the flavor and taste. Once you are able to determine what you really like and able to decide whether you favor a punch or guillotine cut you are well on your way. Take some time to develop your taste and you will be favorably rewarded in the future. You will run across cigars that are not rolled well or have a tight draw...this is just part of the process and doesn't necessarily have to be a deterrent to your experience...it just happens. Take your time and get ready for a long and enjoyable experience.
    He wasn't discussing it . He just mentioned that he smoked one. Now what if he smoked one while he was on vacation which I do believe he did say he was in Mexico which as long as you are out of the country there is nothing wrong or illegal about it. Now I can see if there was a discussion about how to get a hold of some but to simply state that you smoked one I don't think is a big deal. Also I too agree on the 1666. I did not find them very good at all. The 5 Vegas is a good smoke and cheap. I always keep a few of these laying around because they are good daily go to cigars
    The Cank:
    Hawk55:
    He wasn't discussing it . He just mentioned that he smoked one. Now what if he smoked one while he was on vacation which I do believe he did say he was in Mexico which as long as you are out of the country there is nothing wrong or illegal about it. Now I can see if there was a discussion about how to get a hold of some but to simply state that you smoked one I don't think is a big deal. Also I too agree on the 1666. I did not find them very good at all. The 5 Vegas is a good smoke and cheap. I always keep a few of these laying around because they are good daily go to cigars
    I don't know what Ccom's policies are on Cubans. If someone from the site wants to chime in here and clarify, that'd be great. However, I see no harm in talking about past experiences. The only reason I wouldn't go into detail about a Cuban cigar is that it's not something readily available to most BOTLs on this forum, so it's kind of a moot point to review one that you've had. That being said, I think as long as your not offering any for trade or sale, and your not telling people how to acquire them illegally, I see no harm in mentioning them on the site. But like I said, I may be wrong.......
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    lilwing88:
    The Cank:
    Hawk55:
    I don't know what Ccom's policies are on Cubans. If someone from the site wants to chime in here and clarify, that'd be great. However, I see no harm in talking about past experiences. The only reason I wouldn't go into detail about a Cuban cigar is that it's not something readily available to most BOTLs on this forum, so it's kind of a moot point to review one that you've had. That being said, I think as long as your not offering any for trade or sale, and your not telling people how to acquire them illegally, I see no harm in mentioning them on the site. But like I said, I may be wrong.......
    In reality, there's mention of these "forbidden" cigars all the time on this forum - we just call them ISOMs (Island South of Miami, for those who don't know). The original poster wasn't really discussing it, and neither were we, so I think that's valid.

As far as the law, however, it is technically illegal for any U.S. citizen to buy, sell, or smoke any Cuban cigars anywhere in the world. Is the US government going to hunt you down in Cancun for having a Cohiba at the hotel pool? Not likely. Just like they're not likely to invade your home after you mention having an "ISOM" on Ccom's forum. Notice, I said it's unlikely - I've spoken with more than one fella who ordered from some company promising delivery, and when the Gov. intercepted it, they received a Cease and Desist warning instead of their oh-so-forbidden sticks.

As a general practice, I think we've done well about not discussing these cigars too thoroughly, and I think it's just fine. As a side note, CA's online forum has an entire section dedicated to Cuban Cigars...I'm pretty sure it gets plenty of posts from American consumers.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Like Goldy, I'd be happy to send you a bit of a sampler to try out, should you be interested.
    This is by far the most helpful information I have received so thank you all so much! In reference to the "ISOM's" I didn't realize it was illegal for a US citizen to consume one of these cigars outside of the country so i apologize for bringing that up. The last thing I want to do is make waves especially when you all have been so good in helping me out. Secondly, I would more than welcome a PM of anyones recommended "starters" from anyone. I know so little (but am learning) that i welcome all info. I just heard that wrappers coming from the Dominican are typically more mild where as wrappers coming from Hondurous and Nicaragua are more full bodied... true?