Home Ratings & Reviews

Joya de Nicaragua Fuerte

Anyone try these? I am a fan of the JDN Antanos and I like the celebracion a lot. any similarities? Sorry I did a quick search but didn't see a review. pretty good price point. The write up on C.com "The smoke is thick and creamy while the aroma is simply excellent. Expect spice and pepper to intermingle from head to foot while a note of leather remains on your palate for a long, enticing finish.".....damn they make it sound good. Any opinions?

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Honestly I wasn't impressed. If you're expecting anything like the Antaño you'll be disappointed. For an inexpensive, bundled cigar, it's not bad, but it's not like the higher end JDN cigars. For me, I'll gladly fork over the extra money for the Antaño and Antaño Dark Corojo.

That said, I encourage you to try it for yourself and form an opinion. Maybe buy one or two singles and give it a whirl, worst case scenario you've wasted a few bucks.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    I feel like a real newb for never trying any of the JDN lines. On the list of cigars to try.
    TatuajeVI:
    I feel like a real newb for never trying any of the JDN lines. On the list of cigars to try.
    Phil, do I need to send Tony back with a bag full of cigars that any self respecting cigar smoker would have already tried? Big Smile [:D]
  • Stryker808Stryker808 Posts: 269
    j0z3r:
    Honestly I wasn't impressed. If you're expecting anything like the Antaño you'll be disappointed. For an inexpensive, bundled cigar, it's not bad, but it's not like the higher end JDN cigars. For me, I'll gladly fork over the extra money for the Antaño and Antaño Dark Corojo.

That said, I encourage you to try it for yourself and form an opinion. Maybe buy one or two singles and give it a whirl, worst case scenario you've wasted a few bucks.
    Thanks. Yeah for that price I figure Id try a few first. Thanks for the heads up.
    j0z3r:
    TatuajeVI:
    Phil, do I need to send Tony back with a bag full of cigars that any self respecting cigar smoker would have already tried? Big Smile [:D]
    heh, as long as it includes a El Triunfador! Tony is the man - I'm glad you're going to get to meet him this weekend. I'm glad to have the claim to fame of getting him seriously into cigars and cigar collecting. :)
    TatuajeVI:
    j0z3r:
    TatuajeVI:
    heh, as long as it includes a El Triunfador!
    Hold that thought for a couple days. Wink [;)]
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    TatuajeVI:

Im one step behind you, I want to try the JDN lines, but I just started working on DPG and am really excited about how it has started.

If it continues the way its going, I may not get away from him.

• alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:

Glad you said this Joe, I was under the impression that the Fuerte's were basically Antano seconds.
    Fourtotheflush:
    TatuajeVI:

Im one step behind you, I want to try the JDN lines, but I just started working on DPG and am really excited about how it has started.

DPG has some fantastic stuff. My favs are the Cubao, Series JJ, Cuban Classic and the new blend of the San Cristobal. All fantastic cigars.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    TatuajeVI:
    Fourtotheflush:
    TatuajeVI:

DPG has some fantastic stuff. My favs are the Cubao, Series JJ, Cuban Classic and the new blend of the San Cristobal. All fantastic cigars.

I have the first three you mention here in my 'next up to bat' pile! I cant wait to try them. Not in that order though.

Nice! Which one is going to be first? That Cuban Classic is a mean, nasty ***. Gotta have a hearty meal before that one!
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Smoking one of these right now. I'll post thoughts, shortlly.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I thought this was a pretty nice little cigar, actually. Lots of thick smoke. Nice flavor. No construction issues. I wouldn't throw out my Don Carlos's to make room for them, but, based on this one, I'd say they're a solid cigar for the money.
  • Stryker808Stryker808 Posts: 269
    Right one........thanks......its on the list baby.
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    urbino:
    I thought this was a pretty nice little cigar, actually. Lots of thick smoke. Nice flavor. No construction issues. I wouldn't throw out my Don Carlos's to make room for them, but, based on this one, I'd say they're a solid cigar for the money.
    So, this was the Beard's recommendation in the ccom catalog a few months ago, so I ordered a 5'er along with another 5 Antano Gran Consul. I fired up the first Fuerte tonight. SORELY disappointed. It was very toothy, smelled great, had a good draw, all the makings of a good smoke. Then I lit it. Within half an inch, it was out. i had to continually draw on it to keep it lit. It tunneled severely straight down the center. This was perplexing, as it felt solid, and there were no soft spots. I relit it, and within another half inch, it went out again. By the time I got 1.5" in, I had relit it 3 times, and it continued to tunnel and go out. I just let it die and left it in the ashtray. Flavors were good, but it was severely hampered by a construction flaw.

I'll smoke another one in a couple weeks, but if it smokes like this one, I may have to call Tim and see if he can get me something else for the last three. I was pretty bummed, as I'm a huge fan of the Antano and the Antano Dark Corojo...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    TatuajeVI:
    my last order was one of each of their lines. im only familiar with the dark corojo... what better way than to buy them all?
    kuzi16:
    TatuajeVI:
    my last order was one of each of their lines. im only familiar with the dark corojo... what better way than to buy them all?
    This is an older thread. Since that post, Joe sent me an Antano (which was delicious) and I grabbed a 5 pack from The Beard of the Dark Corojo. Fantastic cigar. Three left. :)
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I really like the Fuerte. When I tried it, I had never had the Antano before, so I had zero expectations. That probably helped.

I've had mixed results with the Dark Corojo. They don't seem to want to burn that well, so are kind of obnoxious to smoke. It's not relaxing for me if I have to constantly re-light or puff every two seconds. Maybe some rest will help, or even dryboxing.

The Antano I haven't really had enough of to make a decision. I kept hoping and waiting for ccom to run a special, but they didn't, so I bought some off another site. One seemed really mild, and the other was plugged, and I got nothing from it. I've got three more to try so hopefully I get better results with those.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Never had the Fuerte, but I've had the Dark Corojo and the Antano and based on my experiences with those, the Fuerte will be on my "to smoke" list.

Thanks to Tat, I got the opportunity to smoke the Dark Corojo. It was definitely a rich cigar, with lots of leather and a thick sweetness. Like Russ, I ran into some burn problems, but it's nothing a little rest or dryboxing won't fix.

I smoke an Antano Gran Consul a couple of months back and that was also a hearty cigar. I didn't really like the size since I prefer medium-gauge cigars, so I'll have to try the other sizes in the line.