Home Cigar 101

Tupperdore

MrPossumMrPossum Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2022 in Cigar 101

Day 3 and it’s reading 72 with a 65% Boveda, should I check calibration or recalibrate? I’ve burped the lid a few times throughout the day, so I don’t see why it would read high, also this is a new shipment as well, maybe that’s why it reads higher?

Comments

• Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^ what he said. Unless the boveda starts swelling to the point of popping leave it be. It will regulate it. The calibration on hygrometers can vary quite a bit. Figure out how much it is off and then go by the variance. But trust the boveda.

• Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your hygrometer looks to be an analog style. At least that is the way it looks on my phone at 0151. The digital hygrometers are far more accurate in my opinion. That is if you even want to keep using a hygrometer though.

The Boveda can take over a week to regulate the RH, but it will do the job.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• MrPossumMrPossum Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I put the hydrometer in the Tupperware it reads 65 exact almost instantly and stays that way

edited March 2022

@MrPossum said:
    If I put the hydrometer in the Tupperware (by itself) it reads 65 exact almost instantly and stays that way

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrPossum said:
    If I put the hydrometer in the Tupperware (by itself) it reads 65 exact almost instantly and stays that way

That looks like a Caliber digital hygrometer with an analog style face. It's not the hygrometer. It's gotta be the cigars. The Boveda will actually gain weight gain until these cigars lower to 65%. Your hygrometer seems fine, but yes, in a small container don't even worry about it, because you can trust the boveda.

@MrPossum said:
    If I put the hydrometer in the Tupperware it reads 65 exact almost instantly and stays that way

Well, then you can ignore my silly comment. :)

@Bob_Luken said:

@MrPossum said:

That looks like a Caliber digital hygrometer with an analog style face. It's not the hygrometer. It's gotta be the cigars. The Boveda will actually gain weight gain until these cigars lower to 65%. Your hygrometer seems fine, but yes, in a small container don't even worry about it, because you can trust the boveda.

Perhaps I should refrain from commenting on things in the wee hours of the morning.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

@MrPossum said:

Your cigars are too humid. They are humidifying the air in the tupperware. If you want to speed up the process you can leave them out for three or four hours and not hurt them at all. But I would just carry on. Some cigars ship superhumid, other ships super dry. Depends on the shop and the manufacturer.

And by too humid, I mean more than the boveda. You can smoke those things at 72 no problem. I like them dryer, but everybody's got their deal.

Don't look ↑

Oof, that explains it, and kinda what I was thinking since my regular humidor was reading right, I -6ed my hydrometer to “correct” the reading, but I’ll just change it back. Thank y’all very much

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

You need a smaller Boveda that one is too big for that amount. The ones that come with your cigars would be the right size

• VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never too many Boveda

• NewtNewt Posts: 5

So I think this is weird but maybe you kind folks can tell me. I have 3 Tupperdores. In one I keep a full box of 25 cigars and a few pieces if cedar. With no humidification it runs a 78 humidity by itself. The other 2 maintain 68-70 always. I've rotated the three hygrometers and it not them. Obviously, I don't want 78 and just today decided to remove the box and see what happens with the cigars alone.

My Q - Does a cigar box in a Tupperdore sometimes negate the need for humidity?

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Newt said:
    So I think this is weird but maybe you kind folks can tell me. I have 3 Tupperdores. In one I keep a full box of 25 cigars and a few pieces if cedar. With no humidification it runs a 78 humidity by itself. The other 2 maintain 68-70 always. I've rotated the three hygrometers and it not them. Obviously, I don't want 78 and just today decided to remove the box and see what happens with the cigars alone.

My Q - Does a cigar box in a Tupperdore sometimes negate the need for humidity?

Maybe for a short time, depending on your ambient temperature and humidity.

Filling a well sealed tupador with properly just humidifier cigars will maintain stable rH for weeks of months.

But for long term, use Bovidas.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cigar boxes can help regulate humidity by releasing some moisture when the tupperdor gets dry and absorbing some moisture when it's wet, it helps dampen the humidity swings, but using a Boveda would be best to maintain the humidity at your desired target. The Boveda also holds more moisture than the box, and it can lower the humidity if it's too high.

Curious to find out what the humidity is like where you live right now, the ambient humidity.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • NewtNewt Posts: 5

@Yakster said:
    Cigar boxes can help regulate humidity by releasing some moisture when the tupperdor gets dry and absorbing some moisture when it's wet, it helps dampen the humidity swings, but using a Boveda would be best to maintain the humidity at your desired target. The Boveda also holds more moisture than the box, and it can lower the humidity if it's too high.

Curious to find out what the humidity is like where you live right now, the ambient humidity.

I'm in Northern Florida and humidity has been 80ish. With just cigars now hygrometer is reading 72, so removing the box and going cigars only has dropped it. I use Boveda in two other Tupperdores and I guess I'll toss another in the third.

I didn't think of the Boveda as regulating humidity as you say. In my mind it just added humidity. Valuable lesson!

Thanks for the assist!