Home Cigar 101

Ring size, length, etc.

AdcuriumAdcurium Posts: 179 ✭✭
Does the same cigar come in several lengths and ring sizes? For instance, I smoked an Oliva Series G today, and I think it was a Robusto. Could I ask for an Oliva Series G in a Churchill? Will it taste and smoke the same? What are the reasons one would choose a Robusto over a Churchill?

Comments

• YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should have a similar taste, but ring size and length have an effect on the draw and how they burn. I've had the "O" and the "V" in diffent sizes and they were indeed similar, but did have subtle differences. I should also say that so far, I have not found an Oliva that I didn't like.

I did have a Macanudo in two different sizes and I thought the Robusto was much better than the Churchill, but that might just be me. I guess I've made that clear as mud for you!
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    To add even more confusion to YankeeMan's post, I'll say this - some cigar manufacturers re-blend their tobacco so you get a consistent taste from vitola to vitola, but some purposely don't, with the intention that each vitola taste differently.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    From my understanding of cigar construction, there will be a taste difference between sticks of different sizes (lengths especially), especially with sticks that use long filler, as different points on a leaf taste and burn differently, which explains why many sticks have a totally different flavor in the first inch than in the second, third, etc. So in theory, a Churchill and a Robusto of the same cigar SHOULD be different at some points in their burn. Most logically, the Churchill would have some areas that taste different from the Robusto.
  • cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    Since the wrapper and binder as well as the filler has a percentage of attributes to the flaver of a certain brand- make- model. Then a changed by ring size the percent equation plays a key roll since the amount of binder and wrapper stays constant and you are changing the amount of filler, yes flavor does change with size. Same as stated above with length.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Thought this conversation looked familiar - http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/116760.aspx

• betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Alright, so Oliva I know reblends their cigars so the vitolas should taste rather similar. Many manufacturers don't, so yes, sizes change flavor and strength profiles. I did an article about it on ubicigar.com (shameless plug) if you want more.
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    To add even more confusion to YankeeMan's post, I'll say this - some cigar manufacturers re-blend their tobacco so you get a consistent taste from vitola to vitola, but some purposely don't, with the intention that each vitola taste differently.

A very popular example of both of these statements is with Macanudo and Padron.

Macanudo blends their cigars so that each vitola in the same line tastes the same. Someone else also mentioned Oliva, and I believe that they do this as well, only not for all of their lines. The Serie V is one that I'm pretty sure that they do not change.

At the very opposite end of the spectrum is Padron. They keep with the Cuban traditions of keeping the same blend across all of their vitolas BECAUSE of the difference in taste. I remember someone comparing a Padron 2000 to a 3000 and noting how diffferent they taste, even though the actual difference in size isn't that much (same ring, 1/2" in length).