Home Cigar 101

Cubanitos, and cigarillos in general

minibeezyminibeezy Posts: 257
My wife has taken an interest in cigars and now sits outside with me when I'm enjoying one. She'll take a few puffs to try it and has decided she would like her own. I got her a couple Baccarats, but it was too much cigar for her, as she barely got halfway through it.

I decided to pick up a tin of Arturo Fuente Cubanitos for her to try. When we left the B&M, she opened the tin to check them out. They were all very soft; almost squishy. Some had light spots on them. Others looked like the wrapper was about to come apart. I took them back in and asked the owner. He said that most cigarillos are like that, due to the small size. He told me to smoke one and if I didn't like it, to bring them back and he'd get me something else.

Just thought I'd ask you guys what you thought. I'm still skeptical that what I'm seeing is normal, but they're in the humi now and at some point this week I'll give them a shot.

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    One thing I've learned is to never judge a cigar based on appearances, had some really pretty ones that smoked like crap and some ugly ones that were true gems. The proof is in the puff.
  • minibeezyminibeezy Posts: 257
    j0z3r:
    One thing I've learned is to never judge a cigar based on appearances, had some really pretty ones that smoked like crap and some ugly ones that were true gems. The proof is in the puff.

That's what I was hoping to hear. Thanks.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    minibeezy:
    My wife has taken an interest in cigars and now sits outside with me when I'm enjoying one. She'll take a few puffs to try it and has decided she would like her own. I got her a couple Baccarats, but it was too much cigar for her, as she barely got halfway through it.

I decided to pick up a tin of Arturo Fuente Cubanitos for her to try. When we left the B&M, she opened the tin to check them out. They were all very soft; almost squishy. Some had light spots on them. Others looked like the wrapper was about to come apart. I took them back in and asked the owner. He said that most cigarillos are like that, due to the small size. He told me to smoke one and if I didn't like it, to bring them back and he'd get me something else.

Just thought I'd ask you guys what you thought. I'm still skeptical that what I'm seeing is normal, but they're in the humi now and at some point this week I'll give them a shot.
    I was glad to see your posting. While we were away in Myrtle Beach at a cigar bar, my wife wanted to take a puff on my cigar. She thought it was a little strong, it was a Diesel, but wanted to try something a little milder. The next time I'm at the B & M, I will do the same thing you did and get some small cigars for her. I'm happy to see other wives take up the hobby with their husbands. My wife usually sits outside with me while I'm smoking, now she can have one of her own.
    YankeeMan:
    minibeezy:

I was glad to see your posting. While we were away in Myrtle Beach at a cigar bar, my wife wanted to take a puff on my cigar. She thought it was a little strong, it was a Diesel, but wanted to try something a little milder. The next time I'm at the B & M, I will do the same thing you did and get some small cigars for her. I'm happy to see other wives take up the hobby with their husbands. My wife usually sits outside with me while I'm smoking, now she can have one of her own.

Nice. My wife is actually the one who pushed me to get my humi and make my first order. She may come to regret it at some point (humi is already stuffed), but for now, she enjoys it with me.

Next purchase for her will probably be the CAO Gold Karats.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    minibeezy:
    YankeeMan:
    minibeezy:

Nice. My wife is actually the one who pushed me to get my humi and make my first order. She may come to regret it at some point (humi is already stuffed), but for now, she enjoys it with me.

I have smoked the AF Cubanitos before and they are a little rough looking. They are very good for a cigarillo !

Your wife MAY find them to be a bit strong still but hey at least she is interested.

CAO has a wide selection of FLAVORED sticks she may get into if she doesn't like the cigarillos. You can find some of the larger sticks in Cigarillos as well, if you look at the order page for a cigar, look carefully at the price list and sometimes they will be available in cigarillos as well as the regular vitola's.
    laker1963:
    minibeezy:
    YankeeMan:
    minibeezy:

I have smoked the AF Cubanitos before and they are a little rough looking. They are very good for a cigarillo !

Your wife MAY find them to be a bit strong still but hey at least she is interested.

CAO has a wide selection of FLAVORED sticks she may get into if she doesn't like the cigarillos. You can find some of the larger sticks in Cigarillos as well, if you look at the order page for a cigar, look carefully at the price list and sometimes they will be available in cigarillos as well as the regular vitola's.

Again, good to hear.

If she doesn't like the AF or the CAO Gold Karats, I'll look more into the flavored sticks. I'm thinking about picking up some of the DE infused sticks for her if she sticks with it. She enjoys coffee, so I've been keeping an eye on the Tabaks. I'll keep poking around and see what I find.

Of course, if she likes the infused sticks, I'll just have to break down and buy myself a bigger humidor so she has somewhere to store her flavored sticks.

Thanks.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    CAO has the moon trance and a few other flavored cigarillos she might like. I assume DE does as well. A mild one she might like (not flavored) would be the Davidovs. They make little tins of cigarillos as well - hear they are lighter in body.
  • undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    Cigarillos don't need as much humidity as normal sticks. Best thing to do is if you know you are going to smoke is to let it sit out a few hours. The smaller the cigarillo, the more soggy they get. At least in my case it does.