Home Pipes

Mixing blends

Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
Anyone mix blends and pack a pipe with it? I had a little maple street and taste master left so I combined the two and smoked it, Fantastic! Anyone have success or failure doing the same?

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trout stream (a butterscotch like aro) and Larry's Blend ( a med english) the latakia breaks up the sweetness and adds smokey depth. I would like to try some more parfaits too... one blend on top, another in the bottom. Havent really tried it yet.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Sure, I will top off a blend that I am just finishing up. They can be good and there is nothing wrong with mixing. I don't do it too much but sometimes you are puffing and you say I wonder . . . nothing wrong in trying it out!
  • IsraIsra Posts: 8

I've been experimenting a little and have stumbled upon a good mixture:

2 thirds Ashton Artisan's Blend to 1 third Samuel Gawith fire Dance flake. some times 1:1

• dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    I have found my sweet spot mixing the OGS and lane Q1....its like chocolate orange cake. delicious, packs the right punch and the OGS makes smoking the Q1 simple and re-light free.

Aj
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, when I got low on something I will mix it it with another blend. Usually if an aromatic loses its oomph I toss it into something similar. Usually happens because I don't smoke up what I have open fast enough. Some aromatics hold up just fine though. I have a tin of McClelland Maduro I am thinking of experimenting with.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mixed Sutliff Balkan II with C&D Pirate Kake, 50-50, very nice!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • sabujsabuj Posts: 6
    Jetmech_63:
    Anyone mix blends and pack a pipe with it? I had a little maple street and taste master left so I combined the two and smoked it, Fantastic! Anyone have success or failure doing the same?

I agreed.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

A good holiday recipe is half P&C Snowdrift and half Candycane Cocoa. Candy and Cocoa is delicious but it doesn't age at all. Buy it for the season but don't get too much because the flavor is gone in a month or two. Snowdrift seems to hold the triple chocolate flavors. Mix them equally and its a delicious chocolate peppermint Christmas wonderland in your mouth. You could sub out the candycane cocoa with Sutliff's Christmas Spice which is delicious without the minty flavor.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ernie from Watch City Cigar posted a blog entry on blending here: https://watchcitycigar.com/blog/tobacco-blending-part-6-basic-blending/

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

edited January 2022

Here's a free eBook on tobacco blending for pipers including how to make perique tobacco.

Blend Your Own Pipe Tobacco -- 52 recipes with 52 color labels

edited May 2022

My calendar says 45 days is up, so I cut open the blend with the yellow VA, Smyrna, and a Blackwatch Maduro cigar cut into coins with a cigar cutter, which came out of the vacuum sealed bag like a triangular crumble cake bar of tobacco and loaded up the pipe and a canning jar for a try. It has a strong pepper retrohale, sweet flavor notes, and good strength and body. I need some more time with this blend but I like it.

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few years back I took a tin of 925 and mixed it 50/50 with some Oriental blending tobacco and put it in a mason jar. Opened it up yesterday and had some. Pretty nice!

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

Sounds like an unlikely mix, I'm glad that it worked well together.