Home Ratings & Reviews

Davidoff Aged 2014 Colorado Claro Double R

TomCTomC Posts: 29 ✭✭✭

I had to wait a few hours just to type on a keyboard. This beautiful giant had my fingers damn near trembling and ice cold from the nicotine kick, but it was well worth it.

I've only had about a dozen or so Davidoff's over the years. I know their quality, construction and draw are some of the best ever. This stick was a $38 gem and I enjoyed the hell out of it. I'm getting back into smoking more frequently, so the cigars I'm choosing to smoke lately are just me burning thru some of the "special occasion" indulgences.

This beauty was a 2 hour smoke. The draw was lighter than most other Davidoff's I've had. It went out on me at least 6 times and the ash was flaky as hell, making a mess everywhere, but other than that, it was an exceptional smoke.

What blew me away about it was it's insane amount of sweetness, tons of sweet cedar and honeysuckle throughout the entire stick. Strength was medium-medium strong.

The retrohale from the beginning to the end was marked by a delicious chocolate cake batter sweetness that lingered pleasantly. There were a few nice transitions, but this sweet chocolate hung in there the whole time. Towards the end of the smoke, it shifted to a very subtle savory BBQ meatiness along with those sweet cedar notes. Towards the last half, the smoke production really picked up nicely, but it never got bitter or sour. Just very pleasant sweetness and that very discernible flavor/aroma memory of that smell you get when you mix up a box of fudgy chocolate cake batter.

Based on a tip from a fellow forum member here, I went ahead and ordered a Motherload flight of Davidoff's that hopefully will arrive soon.

I will probably pick up maybe 2 more of these and sock them away for some real special occasion moving forward.

Comments

• EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you enjoyed it Tom! It’s a good smoke, I haven’t had that size, I know I have seen @Stubble enjoy that very blend as well. You can certainly find it for less if you buy them a little younger… I tend to lean on guys who enjoy similar profile sticks… @Stubble , @Patrickbrick , and occasionally @IndustMech will move on Davidoffs… @VegasFrank just bought a box, but he hits up everything…
    there are plenty of amazing sticks with similar profiles that don’t break the bank, and our forum members are a great resource for branching out.
    Glad to see you posting, and I am experimenting on coffees since our last talk.

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steve, is there a Davidoff you would like to try besides the oro blanco, this includes the vault series?

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

I've had quite a few. Couldn't say all, exactly, off the top of my head. I had a Nicaragua Diadema the other night, also the most recent Chef's collection. I've had a few Yamasas. I really liked the Year of the Tiger, bought several, smoked them all. Was just rummaging around through the cooler in hopes of finding a hidden one, but no luck. The Winston Churchill line, Late Hour etc. have been wonderful. I just tend to like what I've had, even if they're overpriced.

Anywho, nothing that I've really been thinking "Oh man, I wish I had one of those", Tom C's post just inspired me to speak up. There are those who don't appreciate the brand. To each his own. I like them.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

Let me know if you think of a new one you want to try. I know a guy who might have it.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.