Home Ratings & Reviews

Gran Habano Corojo #5 Imperiales

clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
Last night I drove up to Waldorf Maryland to do some shopping and stopped in the Tinder Box to see if they had any of the Te Amo World Seleccion's in stock. They did not, and they guy working there placed a Gran Habano Corojo #5 Imperiale (6x60) in my hand and said I give it a try. The cigar looked pretty good and for $6 how could I say no?

I didn't really care for the cigar, but I'm writing this to say that you should definately try it. The taste just wasn't for me, but I also don't like most of RP's cigars where most of the people on here do. This cigar was magnificently constructed. It really was just a beautiful cigar to behold. The wrapper on this thing looked like the pictures you see in the magazines that you never actually see on a cigar. The appearance and the texture of this thing was like fine treated leather, oily as hell.

I definately would recommend trying it. The flavor wasn't for me, but I think a lot of people here would really appreciate this cigar.

Comments

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Dude the world selections are to the far right on the back wall in the humi...
    Next time I'm in there though I'll have to check out the #5, 6x60 is my favorite vitola.

• undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    stephen_hannibal:
    Next time I'm in there though I'll have to check out the #5, 6x60 is my favorite vitola.

I have two CAO Amercia 6x60's resting in the humi as we speak. One for Memorial Day and one for the 4th. This is my favorite vitola too but it isn't the most convenient to have everyday. I will have to find the Gran Habano's to try. At that price it's worth a shot. Thanks.
  • ljlljl Posts: 819
    clearlysuspect:
    Last night I drove up to Waldorf Maryland to do some shopping and stopped in the Tinder Box to see if they had any of the Te Amo World Seleccion's in stock. They did not, and they guy working there placed a Gran Habano Corojo #5 Imperiale (6x60) in my hand and said I give it a try. The cigar looked pretty good and for $6 how could I say no?

I didn't really care for the cigar, but I'm writing this to say that you should definately try it. The taste just wasn't for me, but I also don't like most of RP's cigars where most of the people on here do. This cigar was magnificently constructed. It really was just a beautiful cigar to behold. The wrapper on this thing looked like the pictures you see in the magazines that you never actually see on a cigar. The appearance and the texture of this thing was like fine treated leather, oily as hell.

I definately would recommend trying it. The flavor wasn't for me, but I think a lot of people here would really appreciate this cigar.

Picked up a box of these a while back and really like them. Kind of got me going on Corojo. Not too complex, but is a great value for the money IMHO. You are right on about the wrapper. So oily and shiny, it is almost sticky when you smoke it. I really enjoyed the flavor, very solid construction and burn too.
    undulac:
    stephen_hannibal:

I have two CAO Amercia 6x60's resting in the humi as we speak. One for Memorial Day and one for the 4th. This is my favorite vitola too but it isn't the most convenient to have everyday. I will have to find the Gran Habano's to try. At that price it's worth a shot. Thanks.

Undulac..PM sent.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:

That's exactly where the guy went to look for them when I asked for them and all they had left were the regular Te Amo robustos which I'm not particularly fond of.

I really like that place though. If it wasn't an hour drive for me to get there, I'd be in there all the time.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Hey Phill, have you tried the Gran Habano #3 habano? Of the three, #1 Conn., #3 habano, #5 corojo, the #3 was my favorite, it has a lot of flavor in a medium body. If you haven't tried that one, maybe give it a whirl if you see it at a B&M.
    j0z3r:
    Hey Phill, have you tried the Gran Habano #3 habano? Of the three, #1 Conn., #3 habano, #5 corojo, the #3 was my favorite, it has a lot of flavor in a medium body. If you haven't tried that one, maybe give it a whirl if you see it at a B&M.
    Thanks Joe! I definately plan on trying the rest of the Gran Habanos. Even the fact that I didn't so much appreciate the taste of the #5 didn't keep me from smoking the entire thing. I could tell it was so very well constructed I just couldn't disrespect a quality cigar like that. So far the only one's I've had are the #5 Corojo and..... oh wait.... are you talking about the Habano 3 Siglos???? Because I've had several of those. One of my all time favorite golf course cigars. Most of my friends have never heard of them before and it looks so pretty, so I just lie to them and tell them it's some crazy expensive cigar they could never hope to obtain. They love me when I give them one. One of my friends figured it out and he just plays along now. :-) Oh, such good times! LOL
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    No, there is another one that is the #3 habano, different from the 3 Siglos, though I remember once there was quite a bit of confusion regarding the two on the forum. The #5 has a red band, the #3 has a black band, and the #1 has a green band. I think they're all pretty good, but the #3 was tops for me. The #1 Conn. is also really nice, medium bodied, creamy and has strong cedar nuances.

To a certain degree I can understand why the #5 was not to your liking, I liked them a lot at one point and then they just kind of fell out of favor with me...like you say, a very well made cigar but it just didn't have that something I was looking for.
    Awesome. Looks like I have my work cut out for me in sampling all the Gran Habano cigars now.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    I actually have a Gran Habano Corojo #5 with a few years on it. Maybe I'll bust it out today and post a review later......
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
    clearlysuspect:

I know this is the Gran Habano thread, but saw you were looking for some Te Amo how do you feel about these. I saw another review on here that said "earthy" an favs in that line?
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I used to have a buddy who always called Te Amos "a dirty smoke." He meant this in a good way, but it never inspired me to try one.
    I'm not big on the regular Te Amo's at all. I tried one of the newer Te Amo World Selection Nicaragua blends in the 4x60 size. They're basically shaped like Nub torpedos. I don't recall the exact flavors but I remember I really liked it. That's why I'm trying to find a couple more to try before I run out and buy a box of these things. Boxes are really cheap, but I just don't want to have 15 cigars laying around that I don't particularly like.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Had one yesterday in the Gran Corona vitola. I was gonna write up a review about it, but I have to say that it left me uninspired to do one. It wasn't anything to write home about, I guess. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. Just an okay smoke, with a bitter finish. That's about all I have to say about it......
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    Well I happen to Love the Gran Habano Corojo #5.. when i go to My B&M and there is a crowd smoking i always grab one of these and for the price it is a great Kicking around smoke. I have a couple in the Humi also... ALWAYS has a GREAT BURN, and like you say Its a Great Looking Cigar well constructed. I say By a BOX of them!
    clearlysuspect:
    I'm not big on the regular Te Amo's at all. I tried one of the newer Te Amo World Selection Nicaragua blends in the 4x60 size. They're basically shaped like Nub torpedos. I don't recall the exact flavors but I remember I really liked it. That's why I'm trying to find a couple more to try before I run out and buy a box of these things. Boxes are really cheap, but I just don't want to have 15 cigars laying around that I don't particularly like.

10-4, If you wind up with a few - post something up. I know I'll read it! I have trouble finding these in my local B&Ms. I also am not interested in having a box I don't really like.