Home Cigar 101

Cigar Review questions.

betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
So, I recently started up a new cigar review site, or it's sort of a cigar review site. I don't know. I guess what my question is, stems from the fact that there are tons of cigar reviewers out there. I'd like to do things a bit differently, and I was wondering if you guys had any ideas? What would you like to read about and see?

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    One of the things I like about Cigar Obsession is that the guy doesn't grade the cigars, he just describes them; flavor-wise and body-wise, so I can generally tell if it's something I'll like or not
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    One of the things I like about Cigar Obsession is that the guy doesn't grade the cigars, he just describes them; flavor-wise and body-wise, so I can generally tell if it's something I'll like or not
    Ditto. Its a lot different to see the review than it is to read the review. It's also just a few minutes. Not too long. Not too short. I like that as well.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    One thing I'd like to hear more about is what drink to pair a particular cigar. Also, I've always wondered if cheese could go with a cigar...... That'd be kind of a cool idea. Just pick random food and beverage pairings with premium cigars!
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    lilwing88:
    One thing I'd like to hear more about is what drink to pair a particular cigar. Also, I've always wondered if cheese could go with a cigar...... That'd be kind of a cool idea. Just pick random food and beverage pairings with premium cigars!
    +1
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I think it would be cool to see some reviews about the people we give our business to. Do some mystery shopper type orders from cigar websites, different cigar shops in major cities, and perhaps some chain type stores like Tinderbox. If it's a website, always make sure you call them and talk to them and review the customer service on how friendly and helpful they were.

It's kinda like food critics. They do review the food, but a huge part of the review is about the service and the venue. I don't really see anyone in the cigar industry doing this.
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Alright, I'm definitely going to go for the mystery shopper deal. See that, just for you guys I'll buy and smoke some cigars :p
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    clearlysuspect:
    I think it would be cool to see some reviews about the people we give our business to. Do some mystery shopper type orders from cigar websites, different cigar shops in major cities, and perhaps some chain type stores like Tinderbox. If it's a website, always make sure you call them and talk to them and review the customer service on how friendly and helpful they were.

It's kinda like food critics. They do review the food, but a huge part of the review is about the service and the venue. I don't really see anyone in the cigar industry doing this.
    Great idea. I like this a lot.

One thing that I personally like to see in a written reviews is a "final thoughts" comment about the cigar. Cigar Obsession posts a written thing here and there is never a "final thought" and I always find myself wondering what he thought of it after the fact. I've asked several times and have gotten responses, I just find it funny that he doesn't say something regularly. Watching his videos you get a much better overall experience. I should PM him this and I think I will. Just my humble opinion.

Enjoying a cigar is so many things combined - flavors, complexity, strength, burn, draw etc. Evaluating all of them individually is great, but wrapping them together is what makes me understand the overall experience.

• kaelariakaelaria Posts: 572
    Hi, got your PM. I agree there are a LOT of 'review' sites out there, and frankly most are crappy for various reasons, IMO. There are surely more to come along with more forums. So the last thing I wanted to do was add to the crap pile and I created my nitch. It's simple really - I review the stick for what it is and leave out subjectiveness. My reviews are 100% for the viewer, not me. I also don't include things that I don't deem important, or may change over the years as people watch - price for example - who cares that a stick when I shoot a video was $9 (Bucanero a year ago) but is now $2 (true). Country of origin - who cares. It's not like a wrapper from Brazil is going to give the same experience on every blend. It's not like a Maduro is always going to be sweet and spicy. You can have a wide range of experience no matter how it's made. So I don't bother mentioning it. I also keep the videos short. I don't like wasting time. I don't like watching people ramble about non-cigar stuff or say the same thing multiple times, or say um and uh 100 times. All ti does it double the time I have to watch to get the info I want to see - so that's why I do it like I do. I sure don't give a crap if some other reviewer happens to like a stick, why would anyone care what I like? My taste is my taste, yours is yours. They might be the same, might not. That really has ziltch to do with the cigar - what flavors it's giving in general, how it burns, how long, etc. I give you all the information you need to decide if it sounds good to you or not. So that's why I don't bother with ratings (which are useless except to the rater, IMO), or give my personal opinion (unless it's just super awesome and I can't help raving here and there!), 'final thought', etc. My site is also focused on the videos, always has been and always will be. I'm a visual person, I don't even read other review sites that are just written anymore. It doesn't do it for me at all, I like video. I love Nice Tight Ash and Stogie Review, and Tomscigars. So my written portion will always be short - just the basics, the highlights form the info in the video - never a full copy. It's designed to glance over and see if you want to watch the vid or not, that's it. I can understand if someone feels the need for a little more info to get a full feel of a cigar if all they do is read my blurb. They need to watch the video, that is the true information to convey my experience with a stick. And yes I have been asked all this many times, the answer never changes :)
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Well that explains it. :) Good answer. I enjoy watching your videos, and now I know why, lol.
  • kaelariakaelaria Posts: 572
    And thank you very much for watching!
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    betasynn:
    Alright, I'm definitely going to go for the mystery shopper deal. See that, just for you guys I'll buy and smoke some cigars :p
    Ahhhh.... you do that just for us! What a stand up guy! :-)
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    clearlysuspect:
    betasynn:
    Ahhhh.... you do that just for us! What a stand up guy! :-)
    Well some people are going to benefit more then others. With my new box of 5 Vegas Cask Strength II's, I'm fresh out of humidor space, and I have more 'gars coming. The bombing will begin.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    First of all, Kaelaria, I love your site and your reviews. Great job, very professional and well done.

Betasyn, I wish you luck with your new site. I think you're gonna have to be very different than everyone else to compete in this growing demographic. If you can't get any boobs into the review I'd like to see (hear, actually) something that makes me laugh. Some red-neckedness, political incorrectness, inappropriate references or something. If it comes across as good natured fun and humor I don't think people will be offended (SNL comes to mind). I don't want to visit any more sites that go on about the earthy woodsy notes in a cigar, I want to laugh.