Home Cigar 101
Options

How long out of humidor?

asolomonasolomon Posts: 128
Hey folks, I have a couple of humidification questions. First, I got a pack of 5 cigars from a new company called Mederos which I've heard makes some great cigars. Problem is, I was on vacation and it was waiting for a week in the UPS station, so since they shipped it it probably spent about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks outside a humidor, though in cellophane and a tightly sealed bag. I put that package in a 70% humidity ziploc (still in the wrappings, so it doesn't absorb humidity too fast). Will they have dried out by now, or are they still good? Or should I wait some length of time so they reabsorb the moisture?

Second question is, how long can a cigar be out of the humidor (I'm in Connecticut where it's not too warm and usually not very humid, either) before it gets dried out, and what's the best way to carry it? I've been using a smaller ziploc and one of those Humicare pillows but that seems a bit much. I do have a glass cigar tube. Does carrying it outside of the humidor for say an hour or two really affect things much?

Comments

• Options
    illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507

asolomon:
    Hey folks, I have a couple of humidification questions. First, I got a pack of 5 cigars from a new company called Mederos which I've heard makes some great cigars. Problem is, I was on vacation and it was waiting for a week in the UPS station, so since they shipped it it probably spent about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks outside a humidor, though in cellophane and a tightly sealed bag. I put that package in a 70% humidity ziploc (still in the wrappings, so it doesn't absorb humidity too fast). Will they have dried out by now, or are they still good? Or should I wait some length of time so they reabsorb the moisture? Second question is, how long can a cigar be out of the humidor (I'm in Connecticut where it's not too warm and usually not very humid, either) before it gets dried out, and what's the best way to carry it? I've been using a smaller ziploc and one of those Humicare pillows but that seems a bit much. I do have a glass cigar tube. Does carrying it outside of the humidor for say an hour or two really affect things much?

First off welcome to the forums bud! You will find a lot of good guys here with a ton of useful information.. I should warn you, prepare to watch your bank accounts dwindle, this hobby is addicting! To answer your questions: 1) I would let the cigars in the bag rest in a properly humidified (seasoned) humidor, otherwise they will be too dry and crack and won't be enjoyable.  Patience is a big thing when it comes to reviving dried out sticks.  2) I usually don't let a cigar sit outside of my humidor for more than an hour before smoking.  If I take a cigar out, it's getting smoked! Cigars are very delicate and when not stored in the proper conditions can be easily ruined.  Best way to carry sticks with you would be a herf-a-dor, which can be found here on CCom! I would suggest getting a humidor if you don't already have one and searching around the forums for the best ways to keep your cigars fresh!  Once again welcome to the forums and happy smoking!

• Options
    Thanks a lot! Definitely a lot of useful information around here. So why is it so much better for them to be in a humidor than in the plastic bag if they're both around 70% humidity? I have a 20 count CCOM humidor but it's pretty full right now so I need a few sticks outside of it. I'll try to smoke through em fast though to make room, promise ;) So I'm guessing if I need to have something in the bag, it's better to be something that's been in the humidor for a few weeks than something which may be dried out?

Heck, after a week or two in the mail but in a well-sealed bag and cello, are these even dried out yet?
  • Options
    illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507

asolomon:
    Thanks a lot! Definitely a lot of useful information around here. So why is it so much better for them to be in a humidor than in the plastic bag if they're both around 70% humidity? I have a 20 count CCOM humidor but it's pretty full right now so I need a few sticks outside of it. I'll try to smoke through em fast though to make room, promise ;) So I'm guessing if I need to have something in the bag, it's better to be something that's been in the humidor for a few weeks than something which may be dried out? Heck, after a week or two in the mail but in a well-sealed bag and cello, are these even dried out yet?

If the plastic bag is holding 70% RH then I don't see a problem with keeping the sticks in there, just make sure it stays below 70% or so, since the humidity won't be going anywhere.. The sticks may not be dried out but I would err on the side of caution simply because if they are even the littlest bit dried out it can ruin the taste and experience of the cigar. Just my humble opinion though

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Feel them - if they're hard, they're dried out. If they're slightly spongy or give in to your (gentle) pinching, they're still humidified. If they're dried out, do a google search - it takes time to rehab them; if they're still humidified, I'd say let 'em rest for a week in your humi (which is always a good idea, even if you get them straight from the postmans hands - shipping shocks cigars, and you gotta give 'em a week or so to relax and mellow out, else they'll smoke very harshly).

To add to what's been said already, you can keep a cigar out of the humi for an hour or two without any real problem - longer than that, and it begins to dry out. Now, whether you'll notice or not is an entirely different matter; personally, 3 or 4 hours isn't enough for me to taste (hell, my palate isn't developed - I could go a day and probably wouldn't notice) - any longer though, and I'd start questioning why you even took it out if you don't plan to smoke it.
  • Options
    doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    There shouldn't be much difference between keeping them in bags, tupperware, jars or a humidor as long as your humidity is around 70% (Anything between 65% and 72% is generally acceptable, but we all have our magic numbers in between where the smoke is "just right" for us). You get style points for having your stogies in an impressive humidor, and some say that you must have spanish cedar in any container, but as far as JUST humidification goes it's all about the number. Anything with a good airtight seal can meet the humidity requirement (I have a CCOM bag that I currently use for overflow, though will probably upgrade to a Tupperdor in the future).

For your second question, your sticks might not be dried out yet, but they're well on their way. Most of the time with cigars what's going to kill them is the transition. Changes in humidity cause the wrapper and fillers to do all kinds of little movements and shuffles which will degrade the integrity of the stick, so you want to stop their drying process and get them in something that's controlled. To be on the safe side you may want to bring them up to proper humiditiy in stages. There's lots of good posts on here about "reviving dried cigars".

And don't let the cellophane fool you as a sealant, as it actually was designed to let water vapor pass through. It's purpose is to protect the wrapper from physical damage, not to assist with humidity retention in any way.
  • Options
    I'll have to respectfully disagree with what's been mentioned here. If you have them out for more than a few hours, I don't consider that to be a problem. A few days? Not a problem either. Back in January I went to Vegas for several days. I don't have a travel humidor, so I just put my sticks in a ziplock bag that went into my carry-on bag. By the end of the weekend they were out of the humidor for several days in a low-humidity city and they smoked fine. In my opinion, if they're left out for weeks on end then it can pose a problem, but not much will happen over the course of a few days or even 1-2 weeks.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the thoughts! It's hard to tell but the cigars seem fine, I give them a little squeeze and they're definitely not bone dry, there's a bit of a bounce there. And they don't look like they're coming apart here. I'll give them a few days in the ziploc to stabilize a bit and then see how they are :)
  • Options
    cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    good luck enjoy and welcome.