Home Cigar 101

Darker = Fuller?

TagsTags Posts: 1

Hey there,

Im new to posting on the forums but I have been reading them for the past two months now, and i havent seen anything about color.

Ive been smoking cigars since my 18th last march (so about 5 months now). And about 3 months ago i found this store that sells cigars in the mall, and the lady there told me that usually the darker the cigar the fuller the smoke will be.

I tried a Rocky Patel just today, and i wasnt very fond of it, i found it too sweet and not that full bodied at all and it was a rather dark cigar.

But, about a week ago i tried a La Gloria Cubana and was amazed by it, but it was not dark by any means. so my question would be is it true that the darker the cigar the fuller it is. or does it vary?

Comments

• CaptCapt Posts: 127 ✭✭
    Color has nothing to do with the strength. Although the wrapper does lend alot of flavor, the strength comes from binder and filler. The dark maduro wrappers will give a nice rich tobacco flavor, as well as a bit of sweetness. Welcome aboard and happy birthday!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Capt:
    Color has nothing to do with the strength. Although the wrapper does lend alot of flavor, the strength comes from binder and filler. The dark maduro wrappers will give a nice rich tobacco flavor, as well as a bit of sweetness. Welcome aboard and happy birthday!
    agreed. 100%

in addition to that i would like to make an argument that a darker color wrapper (maduro) will actually be LIGHTER in body than the same cigar (filler and binder) with the same leaf that has NOT gone through the maduro proscess.

the proscess of turning the leaf that color is called maduro, and incedently so, the cigar is a maduro cigar. The future wrapper leaves are bundled tightly and set to ferment for a while. (it varies between producers) the temp rises in the bundles and it cooks the leaf a bit. all of this breaks down the leaf and lets the surgars be more promanent in the flavor. when a cigar ages it mellows. maduro is a tobacco aging proscess. it breaks it down and loses some body.

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    This actually gives me a question on the same topic. I am familiar with how a strength profile can be altered with the addition of a maduro wrapper, but what about an oscuro wrapper? It is my understanding that oscuro is the result of leaving a wrapper leaf on the plant for an extended period of time and allowing it to ripen on the plant, and so would that not perhaps add body to the leaf with the extra nutrients and sunlight it would receive?
    could be. i guess it depends on how fermented it is after they harvest.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I agree with capt and kuzi here though I will say that in my experience you won't find a maduro that is mild and its rare that you'll find a very light(typically Conneticut) that is full bodied. Not a rule by any stretch but an observation.
    madurofan:
    I agree with capt and kuzi here though I will say that in my experience you won't find a maduro that is mild and its rare that you'll find a very light(typically Conneticut) that is full bodied. Not a rule by any stretch but an observation.
    he he macanudo maduro vs camacho candela... the camacho is still stronger. its a good obsrvation though. i think thats true. thats probably why the myth exists.
    kuzi16:
    he he macanudo maduro vs camacho candela
    LMAO thats why it can't be a rule! Macanudo could find a way to make a Sun Grown Habano wrapper with Ligero filler mild and flavorless!
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    LMAO thats why it can't be a rule! Macanudo could find a way to make a Sun Grown Habano wrapper with Ligero filler mild and flavorless!
    and they would sell it for $10 a pop.
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    and Camacho could wrap a candela around some first priming tobacco knock your socks off and sell it for $6.
    RP would then talk to the blender of both of those cigars and contract with them to make him an equivalent cigar and he'll sell it for a dollar less.
    K. Hansotia would infuse them with Cognac and sell them for $750.
    Then Drew Estate could take both of those cigars stick them in a room with Indian oils and spices and sell 100 times as many as all the others combined ....
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    and Camacho could wrap a candela around some first priming tobacco knock your socks off and sell it for $6.
    RP would then talk to the blender of both of those cigars and contract with them to make him an equivalent cigar and he'll sell it for a dollar less.
    Then Drew Estate could take both of those cigars stick them in a room with Indian oils and spices and sell 100 times as many as all the others combined ....
    ohhh.. so close.. you had yourself set up for the home run when you said "Drew Estate could take both of those cigars stick them....."

Shoulda tied in the Drew Estates Monica Parts from a different thread :)
    dutyje:
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    ohhh.. so close.. you had yourself set up for the home run when you said "Drew Estate could take both of those cigars stick them....."

Shoulda tied in the Drew Estates Monica Parts from a different thread :)
    You had to take it there ... kuzi lets walk back outside the flat you got a light?