Home Non Cigar Related

Which chainsaw

JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2022 in Non Cigar Related

Which brand do you guys run and on a side note does anyone have opinions on the Husqvarna saws with auto tune? I currently run a stihl and it's time to replace it can only bandaid things for so long and I'm thinking of making the switch to a Husqvarna with auto tune so the xp series. Right now I'm feeling the Husqvarna 550XP Mark II
Edit: I'm not a logger but I like quality shït if I need it to work I don't want to have to work on it first before using it. Which is where my stihl is currently at everytime I need it, it is old so it's somewhat expected.

Which chainsaw 10 votes

Husqvarna
20%
peter4jcMrShrek 2 votes
Stihl
70%
Amos_UmwhatVisionStubbleFirst_WarriorgenareddogNorCalR1Rdp77 7 votes
Other
10%
VegasFrank 1 vote

Comments

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stihl

I've always had Stihl, sometimes rob parts off the old one to fix the not-so new one. I've also considered the Husqvarna, they seem like quality, but Stihl dealers are easier to find around here.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a Husqvarna which sees light duty so I don't know how it would fare with heavy use. Synthetic gas solved most of my troubles with it. However, all my troubles were solved when I purchased an 16" Makita plug-in saw 10 years ago. I can reach any spot in my yard with a 100' heavy duty cord or my small Honda generator. The thing is powerful enough. No expense replacing batteries either.
    here is the newer model:
    https://www.chainsawsdirect.com/Makita-UC4051A-Chain-Saw/p109446.html

• Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you only need a chainsaw for occasional use perhaps you should consider either a battery or electrically powered one. Might save you some headaches.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

We always used Stihl for when a smaller saw is needed. Easy start and very reliable. The Husqvarna we used for bigger jobs. Hard to start at times but better power.
    Basically Stihl for topping/trimming and Husqvarna for actually dropping a tree and cutting up the trunk.

• JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a Husqvarna 550xp 2 and Husqvarna is bumping the 2 year warranty to 5 with pre mix fuel purchase so bought 25 bucks worth of pre mix and got the 5 year warranty

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Husqvarna

Obviously, my vote swayed you.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other

I didn't see the option for black & decker

Don't look ↑

@peter4jc said:
    Obviously, my vote swayed you.

It did ;)

I guess the test will be how I feel after cutting for a couple hours

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:
    I didn't see the option for black & decker

I‘ve been looking at the Dewalt 20v

• Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stihl

I have a Stihl for most things but when things get serious I have an old Jonsered

edited May 2022

All these stihl lovers if it weren't for my man Peter I'd regret my purchase ;)
    Edit: and Glen so I know I made the right decision

• Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jrflickster said:
    All these stihl lovers if it weren't for my man Peter I'd regret my purchase ;)
    Edit: and Glen so I know I made the right decision

I worked at a hardware store for a few months last year. We sold a lot of Stihl stuff. However, we also had a lot of folks come back after having problems with their Stihl equipment. It is like any other brand, it works for some, but not everyone.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stihl

I have a Stihl and haven’t had any issues just pull and it fires up.

In CA you won’t be able to buy one in a few years unless it’s battery powered per the new regulations…

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stihl

I've owned four Stihl's over the years. Four different sizes. When I was woodturning full time I used the saws to crosscut 16 to 24 inch logs into salad bowl lengths and then rip cut the rounds into bowl blanks. I turned hundreds of bowls. Every year I used to buy a truckload of logs for firewood. Stihl used to make two models, commercial and home owner. I have a electric Stihl with a carving bar with a small tip that is good for rough carving.