Home Pipes

Favorite Shape/Finish You're Drawn To?

StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well, do you have one? What is it?  I have a hard time putting my finger on just one.  I love shorter pipes, sandblasted finishes, Danish and English influences....the list goes on.  
Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?

Comments

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a tough one.  I am drawn to Dublin shape, have 3.  And, while I really appreciate the beauty of smooth finishes, I find that I like the heat dissipation that brushed and sandblasted pipes have.  One thing that I always look for is the bent stem.  I don't have any straight stemmed pipes, although I have had them in the past, and would again if the pipe "spoke to me".
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Short pot style with a sandblasted or rustic finish.  It seems to fit my hand better and stays cooler.  I really never clench a pipe, so I can keep it in my hand and cover the bowl easily with my fingers to control the burn.  
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I went through a bulldog phase and then a poker phase. The shorter and fatter the better. Then I scored an estate lot of long Savinelli pipes and I fell in love with what you would call a lumberman or Canadian. I'm all over the place. I hate working on estate bulldogs. I went through a bent phase too but now have many straight. No matter what shape I prefer a large bowl. That has never changed. 
  • Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been gravitating to the shorter straight pipes with medium to large bowls. I also reach for a cob 95 percent of the time so I don't quite have the shape choices of the briar world. The anse is probably my vote for favorite. It's just so utilitarian and that's mostly what I need in a pipe. In a briar, I like the appearance of smooth pipes with striking grain patterns but I much prefer the hand feel of a fine blasted or wire finish. Coarse rustication is something i find myself picking at or constantly rubbing the high points. I fidget less with a finer finish
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I definitely prefer a bent stem. With a straight stem I have more of a tendency to clench and tooth chatter on my stems bother me. With bent, it just feels more comfortable resting in my hand. Rusticated pipes are beautiful, although I'm quickly finding they're a bit trickier to clean/polish. Love a reddish stain.  
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm of course  new to pipe smoking but I really like the Bent Dublin I bought last month. In terms of finish I can go either way - rusticated are easier to hold I think but smooth seems more sophisticated.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not that it has anything to do with the way I look, but I do like shorter and fatter.  I'm just sayin'...
    I kind of like have a full hand when I'm holding my pipe.

• dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am all over the place when it comes to pipes. As some have said, I love the look of smooth pipes with a striking grain, but I tend to gravitate towards blasted or textured pipes. I do prefer a bent stem, but I have some straight stemmed pipes in my collection. When I am preparing to smoke, I first decide what tobacco blend I want, then I pick the best pipe for that blend and the environment that I will be smoking in. 

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Though I only have one i really like my bent Dublin . Really like the snap of the bowl.  Its...elegant.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022

Anything changed for someone? @NorCalR1 , @Rdp77 any thoughts?

I've moved away from real short nose warmers. Still reach for the ones I have though.

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rdp77 said:

I actually, truly, laughed out loud with tears in my eyes when I saw that. :D

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

• NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stubble said:
    Anything changed for someone? @NorCalR1 , @Rdp77 any thoughts?

I've moved away from real short nose warmers. Still reach for the ones I have though.

I’ll bite because you already mailed your trade already. I too enjoy billiards and usually grab my Monier. No preference in finish ( smooth or rusticated) or color. I do also like smooth apple pipes seems like they stay cooler when smoking Virginia blends but it could just be me overthinking it..

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....