Home Cigar 101

Humidor Humidity Issue

So I like to check the humidity and temperature of my humidors (along with stick my face in and getting an amazing whiff of awesome) and yesterday my humidity in my 40ct was 75% and when I checked it this afternoon it was down to 65%... I have a Cigar.com gel jar in there along with a standard puck filled with 50/50... Any ideas as to why keeping this thing steady is such a pain? It passed the dollar bill test and my only guess is a failure at seasoning... I've just dealt with the small fluctuations until todays big 10% change... any ideas???

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Please - don't reseason (why does this re-seasoning thing keep coming up?).

In addition to the standard "Switch to beads" advice, I'd ask what's going on in the room the humi's in - it's likely the humidity changed, which will result in more or less humidity being pulled from your humidor.
  • DaveTheRookie09DaveTheRookie09 Posts: 58
    Aside from it finally becoming spring time here in MI nothing has changed... it still sits in the same desk cabinet as it always has... all my other humis are just fine its this big one that's bugging me...
    Did it spike after refilling your humidifier, or just out of the blue?
    Out of the blue... and it didnt spike it was a huge drop as if i left it open...
    Wait . . . so you want the humidity at 75%? If that's the case, I'd say your humidifier and gel are doing what they're supposed to do. Gels/beads come in 3 flavors - 60%, 65% and 70%; propolen glycol generally maintains around 70%.

If you want your humidity at 75%, you're probably better off with just pure distilled water; I'm not aware of any humidification device that's designed to maintain 75%
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    DaveTheRookie09:
    Out of the blue... and it didnt spike it was a huge drop as if i left it open...
    If you decide to grab some beads, hit me with a PM and we'll split a pound of them. I'm up in your area often so we can split up the shipping. My beads I picked up for $20 a pound are awesome and I need more for a friend. Not to mention, we should grab a cigar together anyway. -Phil
    PM Sent!!
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Got your PM Dave. I'll give you a call tomorrow.