Home Non Cigar Related

Well 💩

RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

My PayPal got hacked. Someone used it to buy 800$ worth of Bitcoin. Spent 4 hours on the phone with them just to get everything associated with PayPal closed down. Which was more than I knew. What a pain that was. I was exhausted by the time it was over. And still got to go through it again tomorrow. To make sure we didn’t miss something.

Comments

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

That definitely is ****

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang, that sucks.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn, I hope you can get it straightened out

• Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am sorry to hear that, Ricky. I hope you are able to get it all sorted out without too much more trouble.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

That sucks. Sorry it happened to you, Ricky.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

That sux Ricky. Hope you can get it all cleared up quickly.

How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've used PayPal, not often but occasionally, probably should shut that s*** down. Go get them Ricky, let us know if they support the recovery.

A little dirt never hurt
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to use PayPal because it seemed like a good idea to have the interface between the seller and my cc info. Guess not.

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first and only time my father used PayPal, someone in Vietnam charged his account for the parts to build a complete PC.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn that sucks. Were you using the feature that you need a code texted to your phone to log in even after you use your password? Just curious how safe mine is now.

• First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dumped PayPal four years ago. When I used it I had it tied to a single card with a $500 limit. With the web thieves keep stealing and never get caught. Sorry it happened Ricky.

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got ripped by PayPal many years ago, when they first started up. Impossible to get a resolution from the idjuts. So I didn't use them again until just recently. Turns out that if you are going to efficiently use eBay for business, then you have to have a PayPal account. So I hooked yup again last January. Good thing you reminded me... I need to remove all but a moiety from the bank acct that is linked to PayPal. Limit the damage.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CharlieHeis said:
    Damn that sucks. Were you using the feature that you need a code texted to your phone to log in even after you use your password? Just curious how safe mine is now.

Yep but it didn’t help

As soon as it’s all cleared up I’m dropping it. Don’t know what else is more safe to use though. Maybe Venmo

Venmo is part of PayPal. I link them to an account with limited funds and not a cc. Been lucky so far. Fund the account before using the PayPal or Venmo for payment.

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022

@Rhamlin said:
    As soon as it’s all cleared up I’m dropping it. Don’t know what else is more safe to use though. Maybe Venmo

PayPal bought Venmo a couple three years back, IIRC. Way to eliminate the competition. Why monopoly law doesn't apply I don't know.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Maybe zele

It appears they are going to fix it. We shall see

Well did you know that you can get phishing messages from scammers on PayPal? I didn’t. Long story short I got suckered. Turns out the guy I was talking wasn’t from PayPal. It’s a bigger mess now. Fvck
    I can’t believe I fell for it. I did actually get ahold of PayPal but only after I realized something was wrong.
    Not out any money yet, it’s still being looked into. Going to call the bank and talk to my buddy and see if I can get PayPal blocked so they can’t take the money. If that’s legal.

Another tip do not ever let someone talk you into downloading an app called Any Desk! It allows them to see anything on your phone or computer. Been a long day changing passwords and codes.

Yeah, any time you get a text, email or message, look up the phone number for your Bank, PayPal, or whatever and call them, don't use any of the links sent you. Sorry to hear Ricky. that sucks.

@Yakster said:
    Yeah, any time you get a text, email or message, look up the phone number for your Bank, PayPal, or whatever and call them, don't use any of the links sent you. Sorry to hear Ricky. that sucks.

Yeah I thought I was smarter than that. Reckon not

• rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

These scammers are very good at what they do. They make it look very legit

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022

Anytime you get contacted regarding your money, hang up or delete and investigate yourself.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.

@Patrickbrick said:
    Anytime you get contacted regarding your money, hang up or delete and investigate yourself.

Wish I had. I didn’t know people can send messages through PayPal. I just assumed it was PayPal because it said customer support. If it would have been a message on my phone or an email that’s what I would have done. I get about five of those a day and I just delete them. On the plus side my bank said they should just be able to reject them and send them back to PayPal. Got to close my bank accounts when I get home and open new ones. And they said if anything else comes through that I dispute they will reject them.

Glad I’m buddies with one of the bank managers

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rhamlin said:

I hope he smokes cigars, so you can rightfully show your appreciation.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

@peter4jc said:

@Rhamlin said:

I hope he smokes cigars, so you can rightfully show your appreciation.

I’ll find out

Throw him an Opus X