Home Cigar 101

Possible interesting aging experiment... anyone try this?

illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
Hey I was just reading the "What makes a premium cigar for you?" thread and a gas station cigar was mentioned... I wonder if I bought one of those 3 dollar crappy cigars, with enough age would it be actually enjoyable? I would really be interested if someone had done this already to hear more about it.. I want to buy a few, age them for a few years or so (at least over 1 year) and send one in a Mystery Stick Game package.. any thoughts?

Comments

• ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    If you want to spend less than $3 on a cigar, go with these: http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=311. They are a pretty great smoke for the money.

I actualy have not had one in a while, so I need to restock. SUPER cheap, but still really enjoyable. A million times better than anything you will get at a gas station.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I don't think anything could make a gas station cigar good. Age can only make a good cigar better, it can't make a bad cigar good.
  • brotheradambrotheradam Posts: 896
    I totally agree with Evan, love the Flor De Oliva for everyday smokes.
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    If you guys remember, I still have a three-year-old black and mild sitting for a super special occasion!
  • The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    God I had a Black and Mild in my humidor until it made the whole thing smell like it then I threw it out into the street.
  • undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    You can get some great stick here for around $1.50. They just had the 5 Vegas deal, the've had Indian Tabac for the same price, and it's been a while (hint) but have had Sol CCC for around that price. I personally wouldn't get a cigar at a gas station for $3 when I could have had a 5 Vegas Classic and an A in it's place. If you did however try that, I would be interested.
  • ljlljl Posts: 819
    I'm going to chalk this one up to ... Willing to let you try it first. Barely smoke the good 'gars I have now fast enough!
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    thanks for all the input so far guys.. I would much rather buy good cigars for the prices here on ccom than buy a gas station cigar, I was just curious as to whether or not time in the humi would do a gas station cigar any good
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    ejenne87:
    If you want to spend less than $3 on a cigar, go with these: http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=311. They are a pretty great smoke for the money.

I actualy have not had one in a while, so I need to restock. SUPER cheap, but still really enjoyable. A million times better than anything you will get at a gas station.

love the Flor de Oliva, great smoke for the price!
  • doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    I think it has everything to do with the raw materials you start with.

Aging a cigar will help the flavors in the different oils marry and mingle. If those oils and flavors are low-end to begin with the aging will help, but there's only so much that can do.

You could cask age a bottle of Cutty Sark for 18 years and it would be BETTER than fresh Cutty Sark, but it wouldn't compare to a 12 year old Glenlivet.
  • txjayhawktxjayhawk Posts: 311
    I have about 20 or so of the Cuban Crafter Honduras Maduros and Nicaraguan Maduros that have been hanging out for almost a year. First one I smoked (nearly a year ago) was so so. Nothn special. But I took one out to the golf course one day a month or so ago, and wow. It honestly blew my socks off. It has a tiny bit of sweet that comes through, nice rich cedar, and a little hint of leather...plus tons of smoke! All in all, those cheapo have turnd out to be pretty damn tasty (especially for the about 90 cents a stick I paid for em)
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't want to waste my humidor space on a gas station cigar.

"Long ashes my friends."

• sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    doromath:
    I think it has everything to do with the raw materials you start with.

Aging a cigar will help the flavors in the different oils marry and mingle. If those oils and flavors are low-end to begin with the aging will help, but there's only so much that can do.

You could cask age a bottle of Cutty Sark for 18 years and it would be BETTER than fresh Cutty Sark, but it wouldn't compare to a 12 year old Glenlivet.
    Garbage in, garbage out.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    txjayhawk:
    I have about 20 or so of the Cuban Crafter Honduras Maduros and Nicaraguan Maduros that have been hanging out for almost a year. First one I smoked (nearly a year ago) was so so. Nothn special. But I took one out to the golf course one day a month or so ago, and wow. It honestly blew my socks off. It has a tiny bit of sweet that comes through, nice rich cedar, and a little hint of leather...plus tons of smoke! All in all, those cheapo have turnd out to be pretty damn tasty (especially for the about 90 cents a stick I paid for em)
    i suspect that this is because the obacco in the original stick wasnt done fermenting. it was released to early.

by the nature of how cigars age, they will only mellow out. this makes a cigar "better" to some people. a common misconception is that age will add flavor.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    You know I thought about doing something like this...
    I have a ton of cheap smokes from various samplers I may smoke one to gauge the nastiness... then let the other age for some unknown period of time.

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Just off the top of my head, I'd assume it'd be like running cheap vodka through a BRITA filter (anyone watch that MythBusters ep?). Turns out that doing so will improve the cheap stuff (mythbusters used 10 separate fiters for 1 bottle), but it'll never be as good as the top-shelf stuff like Grey Goose.

I figure aging a gas station dog rocket will mellow out the harshness, but considering that the thing wasn't blended by anyone who cares, it'll never be as good as any of the stuff in your humi now.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I heard Tim's Beard once aged a grape White Owl for 12 months and it tasted like a God of Fire!
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember, you can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****. If there is nothing there to begin with, aging probably won't help.

That being said, I have taken some sampler cigars and aged them and they actually turned out pretty well.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    5 Vegas Classic in this price range all the way!