Home General Discussion

Pipe Tobacco Cigars

PuertoRicoShawnPuertoRicoShawn Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭

Was something of a random musing and did a search and didnt see this discussion. I hope this doesnt fire up a feud or **** storm. Are there "real" cigars made from pipe tobacco?

When you’re finished changing, you’re finished. —Ben Franklin

Comments

• PuertoRicoShawnPuertoRicoShawn Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭

Ran across one online by a company called Dunbarton.

Stillwell Star is the line of cigars with pipe tobacco blends.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's been a few attempts to make a decent cigar with pipe tobacco ingredients. So far all attempts have failed. Maybe one day someone will finally crack the code.

Pipe tobacco blends with cigar leaf has turned out to be appealing and successful to those who like bolder smokes.

Besides matters of flavor and taste that need to be worked out, there's the matter of economics. I can smoke a bowl of pipe tobacco for an hour for 25¢, why would I want to spend $15 smoking a cigar with pipe tobacco in, ruining my palate when it doesn't even taste great?

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've heard of them, tried a Black and Mild once. In general, I haven't cared for cigars that taste like pipe tobacco, I'd rather just smoke my pipe for that. On the other hand, there are some good cigar-leaf pipe tobaccos. Habana Daydream and Candela Effect come to mind.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve tried the Stillwell Star navy blend. I really enjoy navy blend pipe tobacco but that cigar was absolutely horrible. I may have smoked a full inch before tossing it but I doubt it.
    I don’t think the delivery system makes it feasible. While smoking a pipe the smoke from the tobacco has a chance to slightly cool before hitting your palate. With a cigar not so much. I think that little break between the tobacco and direct contact makes a huge difference. The types of tobaccos used for the two are quite a bit different from each other too which probably plays a huge part.

• rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

I really appreciate those responses. Put it in perspective for me. I dabbled in pipes many years ago because I LOVE the smell of them. Walked through the pipe section of my local shop and it brought back the curiosity. It was probably motivated by both funding(not wanting to start another hobby) and probably a bit of laziness, wanting the results without the effort. Yakster makes a good point that the costs really arent a valid excuse.

@Rdp77 said:
    I’ve tried the Stillwell Star navy blend. I really enjoy navy blend pipe tobacco but that cigar was absolutely horrible. I may have smoked a full inch before tossing it but I doubt it.
    I don’t think the delivery system makes it feasible. While smoking a pipe the smoke from the tobacco has a chance to slightly cool before hitting your palate. With a cigar not so much. I think that little break between the tobacco and direct contact makes a huge difference. The types of tobaccos used for the two are quite a bit different from each other too which probably plays a huge part.

Thanks for the review. Saves me the trouble and money on trying to find one. The insight on the pipe makes good sense.

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can always get a corn cob pipe and a tin of tobacco inexpensively and give it a try.

@silvermouse said:
    You can always get a corn cob pipe and a tin of tobacco inexpensively and give it a try.

I am afraid that is soon to happen. cuz why not another hobby