Home Cigar 101
Options

Another Question About Aging

jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Posts: 294
Are there certain types of cigars that age better than others? I know that with wine there are certain characteristics that make certain varieties of wine better suited for aging. Does the same hold true for cigars? For instance...If I bought two boxes of Perdomo ESV '91s, a Connecticut and maduro, would one of the two cigars be more suitable for aging?

Comments

• Options
    The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    Im not sure about certain types aging better than others but I know that fuller cigars are better when aged as the oils mesh together. The " harshness" goes away. Personally I have to let all of mine rest for at least 6 months before I will smoke them. I'm sure Kuzi or Jo has more knowledge on the matter than I. So I am actually going to wait for one of them to add because I am curious as well.
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been basically splitting any order I get between my aging humidor and my smoking humidor. In any case, I usually won't smoke anything until it's been in the smoking humidor at least 4 to 6 weeks, sometimes longer.

The only time I cheated is when I got my double order of Diesels from ccom and I smoked one right out of the box. I wasn't disappointed.
  • Options
    mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    I try to let everything rest about 4-6 weeks before I smoke one as well.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    generally speaking, the more full bodied a cigar is the better it will stand up to age.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    So something weird happened today.
    I had a Padilla Habano that has been resting for 5mo and it was worse off then when I got it.
    This thing tasted horrible...

Which leads into my question, is it possible for a cigar to get worse with age? And if so how?

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Seems they only get milder with age until there's nothing left: http://www.cigarnexus.com/counsel/aging/index.html
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Aging is greatly over-rated.

Oh, wait, you're talking about cigars.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    So something weird happened today.
    I had a Padilla Habano that has been resting for 5mo and it was worse off then when I got it.
    This thing tasted horrible...

Which leads into my question, is it possible for a cigar to get worse with age? And if so how?

I've had many Padilla habanos with less age, same age and more age than your 5mo. one and they have all aged consistently, getting slightly smoother, if that's possible. I think you had a bum stick.

Cigars can get worse with too much age on them. Not harsh, though, but bland. They can have their flavors wash out or the oils in the leaves can completely dry up. That's why fuller smokes age better, but none will age forever.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    It could be just my tastes, but I swear that medium to full bodied maduros will age very well. Especially if you age them with other maduros

"Long ashes my friends."