Home Cigar 101

Punch Issues

illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
Hey everyone I just lit up a CCom Cameroon Label and used a new punch cutter that I got and when I punched it the cap and head of the cigar cracked, this has happened numerous times, I cant seem to get a decent cut! Dull cutters/punches or what? Any info would be appreciated!

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Might be dull; try a different cutter? I've also heard that licking the end cap helps prevent the wrapper from splitting when cutting (note - licking lightly, not throating it)
  • niz33niz33 Posts: 83
    its could be a combination of two things. one your not twisting the punch as you press it against the cap, and two you may just be pushing it to hard/fast.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    Might be dull; try a different cutter? I've also heard that licking the end cap helps prevent the wrapper from splitting when cutting (note - licking lightly, not throating it)
    I do this every time, it helps a ton!
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a couple things I do religiously when I'm preparing a stick. I lick both the head of the cigar AND the end of my punch. Then, while I'm pushing the punch into the cigar I twist it slowly - but in ONLY ONE DIRECTION. I've found that 'sawing' it back and forth while twisting helps to make a jagged cut and could lead to bad things with the end of your cigar.

Hope this helps.

Marty

• ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    Agreed on all counts with Marty. Especially on your conneticut and habano wrappers which tend to be a little on the fragile side. A little lick on the cap and then one smooth press and turn. I think lasabar might be able to give you even more detail on all the licking :)
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    ironhorse:
    I think lasabar might be able to give you even more detail on all the licking :)
    Or possibly Marty's friend that enjoys deepthroating his stick before smoking..
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    Something that I found helped my punch was to turn it a few times before I put any real pressure to the cap. I will turn it just enough to kind of score the cap before putting any hard pressure to it and it seems to help with making a clean punch.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Personally, I tend to twist gently as I press, so that I get a pretty even twist to punch ratio. It has always worked for me, and I have never had any trouble punching.
  • txjayhawktxjayhawk Posts: 311
    big fan of punches. i have cracked a couple sticks punching but its cuz i forced it in with out takn proper measures...like in other aspects of life u gotta prep it. Mind out of te gutter now...ive been using the punch on the bugatti lighter and have no problems