Home Non Cigar Related

The Pacific

Anybody here watch "The Pacific" on HBO? It's a new series from Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks. It's in the same mold of Band of Brothers, but they focus on the Marines fighting the Japanese in the Pacific theater. If you didn't catch the first episode, you can stream it from HBO.com. The second episode premieres Sunday at 9pm EST. The first episode was great, and I'm can't wait to watch the next ten. I love Band of Brothers, and this looks like it's going to be another hit.

Comments

• Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    Matt Marvel:
    Anybody here watch "The Pacific" on HBO? It's a new series from Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks. It's in the same mold of Band of Brothers, but they focus on the Marines fighting the Japanese in the Pacific theater. If you didn't catch the first episode, you can stream it from HBO.com. The second episode premieres Sunday at 9pm EST. The first episode was great, and I'm can't wait to watch the next ten. I love Band of Brothers, and this looks like it's going to be another hit.
    Damn I forgot all about this. I remember seeing previews back before I cancelled HBO. I was soooo excited to see this. Well I guess it might be time to order HBO because I loved Band of Brothers.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Good 1st episode. I'm looking forward to this series, I've been waiting a while for it. Seems as though they are going to hit the main missions of the war. After watching WW2 in HD I've really been looking forward to this.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    Good 1st episode. I'm looking forward to this series, I've been waiting a while for it. Seems as though they are going to hit the main missions of the war. After watching WW2 in HD I've really been looking forward to this.
    Agree...I was hooked after 1st episode...also like ww2 in HD.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I missed part of the first episode but what I saw was very good. What those guys did was beyond what most of us can imagine. They are called the "Greatest Generation" for good reason.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    A good friend of mine described it, "Far and away BETTER than Band of Brothers." That's saying something, since he loved Band of Brothers. I don't have HBO, but I'll figure out a way to watch it.
    TatuajeVI:
    A good friend of mine described it, "Far and away BETTER than Band of Brothers." That's saying something, since he loved Band of Brothers. I don't have HBO, but I'll figure out a way to watch it.
    I think it's too early to say that yet...i just finished re-watching Band and it's even better the second time...very awesome. Pacific looks great but it's only one episode so far.
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    Luko:
    TatuajeVI:
    I think it's too early to say that yet...i just finished re-watching Band and it's even better the second time...very awesome. Pacific looks great but it's only one episode so far.
    I agree. I liked the first episode, but I wouldn't be it above Band of Brothers. It could develop into that, but it's nowhere near there based on the first episode. To each his own though.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    TatuajeVI:
    Better than BoB? That's hard to imagine. I am a huge WWII buff, and enjoyed BoB mini series as well as the books. I really thought about getting HBO just to be able to watch The Pacific, but DirecTv is playing games with me. Damn bastards

"Long ashes my friends."

Krieg:
    TatuajeVI:
    Better than BoB? That's hard to imagine. I am a huge WWII buff, and enjoyed BoB mini series as well as the books. I really thought about getting HBO just to be able to watch The Pacific, but DirecTv is playing games with me. Damn bastards
    Yeah BOB is a tough sell, that is a fantastic show.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I will definitely catch up on this via 'on demand' this weekend. It looked great from the previews, and of course if Hanks and Spielberg are producing it as a sort of companion piece to Band of Brothers, then it HAS to be worth watching.
    phobicsquirrel:
    Krieg:
    TatuajeVI:
    I believe my words to him were, "That's a BOLD statement!" We'll see what he says after a few more episodes.
    TatuajeVI:
    phobicsquirrel:
    Krieg:
    TatuajeVI:
    I believe my words to him were, "That's a BOLD statement!" We'll see what he says after a few more episodes.
    Personally I felt more a connection or should I say, Liked the two main characters more in BOB. The first episode of the Pacific sort of had me wondering who was going to be the primary and who wasn't. Sort of felt a little all over the place. I'm anxious to see more though.
    phobicsquirrel:
    TatuajeVI:
    phobicsquirrel:
    Krieg:
    TatuajeVI:
    Personally I felt more a connection or should I say, Liked the two main characters more in BOB. The first episode of the Pacific sort of had me wondering who was going to be the primary and who wasn't. Sort of felt a little all over the place. I'm anxious to see more though.
    Really? I got the strong impression from the first episode it's those three dudes, the Italian guy with the family, the machine gun dude whose dad had the issue with his Ford and the other guy who I don't have a description for.

If anything, that was my one complaint about BoB, so many seemingly "main" characters I had a tough time figuring them all out...much easier the second time through. I know Winters and Office Space Dude were the main two, but Bull, Mularkey, Lipton, Spears, etc...there were so many key guys in BoB.
    Luko:
    phobicsquirrel:
    TatuajeVI:
    phobicsquirrel:
    Krieg:
    TatuajeVI:
    Really? I got the strong impression from the first episode it's those three dudes, the Italian guy with the family, the machine gun dude whose dad had the issue with his Ford and the other guy who I don't have a description for.

If anything, that was my one complaint about BoB, so many seemingly "main" characters I had a tough time figuring them all out...much easier the second time through. I know Winters and Office Space Dude were the main two, but Bull, Mularkey, Lipton, Spears, etc...there were so many key guys in BoB.
    Exactly. The second time through BoB it was a lot easier to figure out who was who.
    If you're going to refer to Nixon as Office Space Dude, then you should refer to Lipton as Guy From New Kids on the Block.
    What did you all think of this one? It void of the fighting, but I think it was important for the character development. Hope the youngins covered their eyes, lol.
  • The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    Im loving this show !
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    Dang I really want to get HBO so I can watch this but don't wanna pay for it.
  • gdsim1gdsim1 Posts: 213
    Luko:
    phobicsquirrel:
    TatuajeVI:
    phobicsquirrel:
    Krieg:
    TatuajeVI:

Dont forget Joe Toye & Bill Guarnere! So many favorites its hard to pick just a couple.

• DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Matt Marvel:
    What did you all think of this one? It void of the fighting, but I think it was important for the character development. Hope the youngins covered their eyes, lol.
    The Greek chick is SUPER hot!