Home General Discussion

Strange issue

So I got a new 300 ct humidor, and after 24 hrs of seasoning it, it was holding about 75. I want ahead and put my sticks and montecristo gel humidifiers in, and it settled down to 72. But now I moved my hydro down to the bottom drawer and it was 85! Any ideas on why this was so dramatic and a possible solution?

Comments

• Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Humid air is heavier isn't it?
  • ScottUScottU Posts: 194
    I think so, but 13 percent over 8 inches?
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    24 hours isn't long enough to stabilize your humidor when seasoning. I'd wait at least 4 or 5 days.
  • pnaylonpnaylon Posts: 214
    Is your bottom drawer filled with water? That might be it.
  • ScottUScottU Posts: 194
    pnaylon:
    Is your bottom drawer filled with water? That might be it.
    Lmao! No, def not... This is my third humi and I've only ever seasoned for 24 hrs and never had a prob...
  • ljlljl Posts: 819
    I just posted on some other guy's thread that humid air is less dense! Now I'm all twisted up! Heading back to wiki for more info...
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    It's true that humid air rises, but in a sealed environment I don't see how that would make such a dramatic difference. I'd agree with Tat and say you probably didn't season long enough, except that I expect a drop in humidity, not a 13 point increase.

Before you pull cigars out and reconfigure things, pull your hygrometer and salt test it, make sure that bad boy is calibrated properly.
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Same thing happened to me. Remember, cigars act as small humidification devices. They can absorb and release humidity, just as the humidifiers can. When you put them into a humidor that isn't really seasoned, the humidification devices that were releasing humidity into the still-dry humidor are now releasing too much humidity to a humidor that is full of 70 RH cigar. I think.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Russ55:
    Humid air is heavier isn't it?
    Joe's right, I'm not.

"Humid air is less dense than dry air because a molecule of water is less massive than a either molecule of nitrogen or a molecule of oxygen. About 78% of the molecules in dry air are nitrogen (N2). Another 21% of the molecules in dry air are oxygen (O2). The final 1% of dry air is a mixture of other gases." - wikipedia

Not the most factual site, but I trust it on this.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I agree that your humi isn't properly seasoned yet. I have a 300-count as well, and the difference between the lid and the bottom of the humi is 2-3% (65% bottom, 67 or 68% at the top). There's no way you should have a 15% difference if it's seasoned