Home Cigar 101

New humidor

aron325aron325 Posts: 158
hello i'm new here and looking into getting a new humidor. this is my first one so i really don't know what im getting into lol. if anyone has any tips on how to season it properly do not hesitate to comment please. also i was wondering about what all i should be looking at for inside the actual unit itself humidification wise.

thanks,
arin

Comments

• illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    aron325:
    hello i'm new here and looking into getting a new humidor. this is my first one so i really don't know what im getting into lol. if anyone has any tips on how to season it properly do not hesitate to comment please. also i was wondering about what all i should be looking at for inside the actual unit itself humidification wise.

thanks,
    arin

hey man welcome to the forums! first off, when youre buyin your first humi, buy something waay bigger than what you think you need. trust me youre gonna wanna get something bigger than what youre thinking. as far as humidification, beads and gel both work great. get a digital hygrometer as well, they are much more accurate than the analogs. As far as seasoning goes, search on these forums and you will find some great info! welcome again! dont be afraid to ask more questions, we were all newbs once!
  • aron325aron325 Posts: 158
    I know about the size issue becuase i have a 10-count travel right now and its already full lol. i was ooking at an 80 count 4 drawer burl. it looks nice and i love the drawer feature. i also know not to rush the seasoning process. is there any other advice you could give me?
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    I would say just get a good humidification system, use only distilled water with beads, figure out what works best for you to keep 70 degrees and 70% relative humidity, thats about the optimum temp and humidity. Only thing else I can tell you is to learn as much as you can, ask questions, all that jazz, and enjoy your new humi and cigars!
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    get a big one(think of the size you want and double it) and get some beads.
  • aron325aron325 Posts: 158
    any idea about the imperfects on cheaphumidors.com? was looking at them and they are dirt cheap. but are they used?
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    No, they're not used; seems they just have some blemish somewhere.

Once you get a humi, search around the boards for advice seasoning it - it's pretty much already been said a thousand times. Once you get it seasoned, you'll wanna keep it in the 65%-70% range - anywhere in there is ideal
  • niz33niz33 Posts: 83
    This is an easy post if you fallow our advice. 1. 80 count humidor to small go bigger. 2. Stick with Heartfelt beds. 3. What Humidity you may ask simple if you don't know stick with 65%. 4. Seasoned your Humidor before you put any sticks in. 5. And the last one is don't get to worried about having all the things just right, to many people focus on what type of this or what brand that, just enjoy it.
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    pm to you bro. I send you a link of step by step seasoning info that was sent to my by Robbyras a few days ago. Very helpful. And welcome, these guys are the best!!!
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum. There is a ton of great info. on here, both in asking questions and searching older threads. As far as the imperfect humidors you mentioned, they're great. I've bought two, one with a glass top, and the imperfection both times has been a small knot on the interior which makes the wood not 100% clear grain. Yippee skippee, don't hesitate to buy one if you see one you like.

Edit: I just remembered, the imperfects I ordered were through premiumhumidor, not cheaphumidor.
  • Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    My advice is to get a BIG one, if you can afford it. I started with a 50ct in october of last year. Now I have that plus 2 20ct's and 2 48 quart coolers all packed to the gills. Oh, and I also packed my roommates 100ct humi that he wasn't using. You can get a nice 400ct on the bay for under $80 shipped and I hear they are actually pretty decent.
  • Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    I knew this was going to happen. This is a guy I work with and I told him the standard. Take the humidor size you think you are going to need then double it and add 50 but he just wouldnt listen. Oh how it hurts to see people make the same mistake you made yourself.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Dustin1981:
    I knew this was going to happen. This is a guy I work with and I told him the standard. Take the humidor size you think you are going to need then double it and add 50 but he just wouldnt listen. Oh how it hurts to see people make the same mistake you made yourself.
    heh, I know how you feel. I started with a 50 count, added a 100 count, added a coolidor, added a 300-400 count (ebay once that was already mentioned) and somehow they are all about full. I'm not addicted to smoking cigars, I'm addicted to collecting cigars. Happens to the best of us.