Home General Discussion

Humi issue - blocked humidity?

I got a CCOM 20ct with one of those sponge things hanging at the top with a magnet. I used to have my digital hygro lying on top of some cigars, so basically right by the humidifier, and it read 65%-70% depending on the time of day. Then I found I had room to move it to the bottom today so I did, and now it's reading 60%. Ah! Does this sound like some bizarre variation or is there something to be concerned about here? If the humidity really is reaching some parts of this (small) humi less, should I be concerned that some of the cigars in there are dried out? Where's the best place to put a hygro and how's best to spread humidity?

Comments

• ljlljl Posts: 819
    I keep reading that the more humid air becomes, the less dense it becomes. Following this info, the bottom of your humi is the best place to start humidification. It is possible to "block" humidity, but I don't think that is what is happening here. Does your humi have trays? I have seen that covering the venting in the trays completely can stop the humidity from spreading. I don't like to attach humidifiers - just so I am able to move them. I am also working on switching to beads which seem to have fewer of these sort of problems. Hope this helps. There are more knowledgeable guys here that may be able to give additional insight.
  • The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    I find that when I do cover all the vents on my top tray it will block humidity but you said its a small humidor so that can't be the problem. I would try moving my humidifier around a bit
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I would go the other direction with this. Trash the sponge. In a small 20ct humi i'd go with a Boveda pack, its far more reliable and wont eat up any real estate versus a jar of gel.
  • txjayhawktxjayhawk Posts: 311
    For sure throw that puck away. Go get some beads (or 100% silica kitty litter, hey it works for my cabinet!) and make little pouches so you can put them in a few different spots. Or just go geta bigger Humi, buy an electronic humidifier and never have to worry about it. I know I had a hellava time trying to keep my smaller humi just right. But try those packs if you are very limited on space.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    +1 for Beads or a boveda pack
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    I agree with throwing that sponge away.

Yes, humid air is less dense than dry air but another thing that may cause your RH change from top to bottom would be time spent in the humi. Its going to take some time for that sponge to convert to water vapor and then totally fill the humidor. The fact that you are having such high varriation near the sponge makes me thing the sponge is underpowered for that humidor.

In short, get some beads and your life will be much easier.
  • asolomonasolomon Posts: 128
    Thanks everyone! Hopefully my B&M has beads, I don't need another excuse to order from this site :) I also have one of those drymistat tubes that I could throw in that seems to work well, although it's currently busy in a ziploc bag handling an overflow I have (give it a week or two ;) ). So if the humidity is down to 60% in some parts, is there any chance the cigars are dried out? It's possible the humidor isn't seasoned enough, maybe the wood's been soaking humidity from the cigars on the bottom? lol or am I just being paranoid?
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    asolomon:
    Thanks everyone! Hopefully my B&M has beads, I don't need another excuse to order from this site :) I also have one of those drymistat tubes that I could throw in that seems to work well, although it's currently busy in a ziploc bag handling an overflow I have (give it a week or two ;) ). So if the humidity is down to 60% in some parts, is there any chance the cigars are dried out? It's possible the humidor isn't seasoned enough, maybe the wood's been soaking humidity from the cigars on the bottom? lol or am I just being paranoid?
    Here is where you can get beads CHEAP and they are the ones several of us here use. They are the same beads as heartfelt beads (Museum Quality) come with mesh bags and work awesome. Available in 65% or 70%.

http://www.bargainhumidors.com/bh/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=ACC-CONSERVAGEL

When I read your first post I got the idea that your Hygrometer was right below your humidifier. I would say it was so close that you were getting a direct reading from the sponge, but not an overall humidity reading from the area inside the humi. When you moved it, it became more accurate in the reading of the overall humidity of the humi. Just my thoughts. Good luck with the beads... they rock.