Home Cigar 101

Looking for guidance

Sethbanks711Sethbanks711 Posts: 254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I kinda of explained my background, and my in and out past tendency with the hobby due to young age, military, and life in general. I’m finally at a settled down point in my life, and hope to finally settle in with this hobby and see where it takes me.

I’ve always really enjoyed premium cigars, from the age of 10 onwards. But I have to admit, I’ve typically went the flavored or infused route. It all started with vanilla cigars in the Dominican as a kid.

After a hiatus, I attempted an ACID Kuba, and decided maybe that wasn’t the route for me, and that I’m chasing a more tobacco taste at this point.

My closest cigar shop is about 2 hours away. I live in a town of 300 in Western NC mountains. The options I have local are your typical flavored cigars at the “tobacco/vape” shops that have a single desktop humidor with cheap cigar that they sell for 20$ a stick. So at this point, I purchased a 16L Wineador, and have completed seasoning it. That way, I can order cigars and not be concerned with ruining them.

I’m looking for some help from you guys, as the choices are absolutely overwhelming. I don’t really know where to go, and I’m hoping if I explain a little bit about past experiences, you guys can guide me in ordering the right cigar, or right sampler to truly get started.

I know in the past, a large turn off for me is a harsh tobacco flavor, or maybe peppery? Kinda where it has a spice on the tongue, and has a long lingering aftertaste. So I guess I should be looking at mellow, or mild cigars. But I don’t know that for sure or not.

I guess I’m really just looking for the best sampler, to truly get a taste for what I do like. I’ve noticed most samplers are of a single brand, or single profile. It’s all just a bit overwhelming, and without a local lounge, I’m hoping some experience can help me out!

Thank you in advance!

Seth

Comments

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,453 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023

You might appreciate Davidoff or Avo, for starters. Many Connecticut wrapper are on the non-peppery side....

• Sethbanks711Sethbanks711 Posts: 254 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse thank you! I will look into them. Question, is this post allowed? I tried looking for a FNG guide and didn’t see if there was a correct place for this.

@CalvinAndHobo

I will definitely take that advice to heart. I’ve already caught myself looking at daily deals of full boxes.

@Rdp77 thank you! I keep seeing that Perdomo 10th Anniversary champagne pop up. I’m definitely wanting to try it.

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

I read that article, @Sethbanks711 . Good article. All the information you need.

Trapped in the People's Communist Republic of Massachusetts.

@ShawnOL said:
    I read that article, @Sethbanks711 . Good article. All the information you need.

I sent him a PM. I didn’t even know we had a newsletter! The amount of “best cigar” list, and the like are so overwhelming I never know where to go!

• Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sethbanks711 said:

@ShawnOL said:

I sent him a PM. I didn’t even know we had a newsletter! The amount of “best cigar” list, and the like are so overwhelming I never know where to go!

Most of your “best of” cigar lists you find are influenced somehow. It may be by relationships, favors, or direct advertising payments. The ones you find on here are just a compilation of our opinions of the cigars…no outside influences. That’s also the reason that you don’t see many on our lists make it to “their” lists.

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 16,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

And remember that the "best of" lists on this forum are made up by more seasoned smokers, so there won't be many mild cigars on it.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • TRayBTRayB Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sethbanks711 said:
    @Rdp77 thank you! I keep seeing that Perdomo 10th Anniversary champagne pop up. I’m definitely wanting to try it.

I've been smoking for just over a year, and the Perdomo Champagne 10th was an early favorite of mine. It's a great one to try. As others have mentioned, you will grow past mild cigars pretty quickly, especially if you smoke regularly. I like a good Nicaraguan puro these days, but still smoke mild cigars maybe twice a week..

I’m working in downtown Charlotte this week, and found a local cigar lounge. I gave the Perdomo 10th anniversary champagne a go. It was good, but extremely mild. It seemed to become a little sweet in the 2nd third. It was decent, but it felt like it let me wanting more. Hopefully I can find another lounge in my next stop!

• TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sethbanks711 said:
    I’m working in downtown Charlotte this week, and found a local cigar lounge. I gave the Perdomo 10th anniversary champagne a go. It was good, but extremely mild. It seemed to become a little sweet in the 2nd third. It was decent, but it felt like it let me wanting more. Hopefully I can find another lounge in my next stop!

Awesome experience. why? Because you tried something that others have recommended and you didn't buy a box before trying. You tried it and found out it wasn't quite your thing. Keep this in mind the next time you try it you may have a different opinion, but for now you have a plot point of things you did and didn't like about it to guide your next purchase.

I was born a fool, and just got bigger!

@TNBigfoot68 said:

@Sethbanks711 said:

Awesome experience. why? Because you tried something that others have recommended and you didn't buy a box before trying. You tried it and found out it wasn't quite your thing. Keep this in mind the next time you try it you may have a different opinion, but for now you have a plot point of things you did and didn't like about it to guide your next purchase.

Now I just have to decide if that something missing was the profile, or strength I guess. I always want to work on developing my palette to try and pick up on some of the nuances.

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

DZR

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sethbanks711 said:

@TNBigfoot68 said:

@Sethbanks711 said:

Now I just have to decide if that something missing was the profile, or strength I guess. I always want to work on developing my palette to try and pick up on some of the nuances.

Palate

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

@Bob_Luken said:
    DZR

Actually not…he popped in on the vherf last night.

@Rdp77 said:

@Bob_Luken said:
    DZR

Actually not…he popped in on the vherf last night.

But he kept the video off, so do we really know? :smile:

@silvermouse said:
    Nice gig, he gets mentioned without having to participate.

We'd even extend that offer to you, Edward. :smile:

@Sethbanks711 said:
    I’ll bite, what the hell is a DZR.

Every now and then an existing member will make a “new” account just to get the oldsters riled up.

And then you get a RDP making a camouflage "new" account because he knows we'll all think it's DZR. :smiley: