Home Cigar 101

Cigars MOW

zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
From the time I have been here, and even joined another forum, all I hear about how good the MOW Runiation is. Is it the price that makes it more affordable for everyone to smoke one and buy boxes of it? Is the flavor that good if it was $20 a stick you would buy the same amount?

I just read the description and its a full bodied smoke, which I have yet to try since I am new to cigars. I am just curious if I should just go ahead and buy now and smoke it and see what people are talking about?

I was thinking of starting my MOW with the Virtue stick and go from there... any thoughts?

Also, just because it has a dark wrapper, does it mean its a full bodied cigar? I mean most of the times, the lighter the wrapper the milder the smoke right?

Comments

• TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Wrapper color has nothing to do with the body of the cigar. There are dark cigars that are lighter in body, and there are lighter cigars that are full bodied. The filler has a great deal of affect on the body of the cigar, especially ligero filler which tends to me more full bodied. Some people think of a maduro wrapper as "dark" when actually maduro wrappers can be all shades of colors - cigar companies color them to make them darker than they actually are typically. Not to mention, "maduro" is a curing process that actually makes the wrapper slightly sweeter and LESS full bodied. I'm tangenting.

That said, if you've never smoked a MoW, or any other full-bodied cigar, it could potentially be a rough day for you to smoke one. Take you time and work your way up to the full bodied cigars. Starting with a Virtue could be a great way to go, as those are supposed to be more medium bodied, but if you started with a Ruination you just might end up in the bathroom for a few hours. Definitely eat a hearty meal first, either way. But you are right to think about starting with the Virtue first, then perhaps the standard MoW, then the Ruination. Let us know what you think of them when you do.
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Tat! Thanks man, that is some great advise. Ecactly what I was loking for.

So for example, I got a ccom brazillian, but its creamy from what I read and hear.

I have to read up on ligero fillers now. I will def. start with the Virtue and see how MoW's are and go from there.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    TatuajeVI:
    Wrapper color has nothing to do with the body of the cigar. There are dark cigars that are lighter in body, and there are lighter cigars that are full bodied. The filler has a great deal of affect on the body of the cigar, especially ligero filler which tends to me more full bodied. Some people think of a maduro wrapper as "dark" when actually maduro wrappers can be all shades of colors - cigar companies color them to make them darker than they actually are typically. Not to mention, "maduro" is a curing process that actually makes the wrapper slightly sweeter and LESS full bodied. I'm tangenting.

That said, if you've never smoked a MoW, or any other full-bodied cigar, it could potentially be a rough day for you to smoke one. Take you time and work your way up to the full bodied cigars. Starting with a Virtue could be a great way to go, as those are supposed to be more medium bodied, but if you started with a Ruination you just might end up in the bathroom for a few hours. Definitely eat a hearty meal first, either way. But you are right to think about starting with the Virtue first, then perhaps the standard MoW, then the Ruination. Let us know what you think of them when you do.
    Good advice. I would only add that now is the time to purchase the original MOW and the Ruination. That way in a few months when you are ready to try something with more body... you will have a couple of sticks with a few months time on them to settle them down so they won't be so green.
    Yes, I'm very tempted, but this cigar hobby is new to me and my wife is ok with it now. But I have bought a humidor and accessories and have two B-1 lighters now after telling her I'm not a cigar smoker...lol. So I'm not buying to much right now..
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    laker1963:
    TatuajeVI:

Good advice. I would only add that now is the time to purchase the original MOW and the Ruination. That way in a few months when you are ready to try something with more body... you will have a couple of sticks with a few months time on them to settle them down so they won't be so green.
    Good advice here. Definitely order them at the same time. The Ruination especially should rest for at least a few months before you get to it.
  • The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    I think its time you try some full bodied cigars. You always shy away from them but don't. just because you are new to cigars does not mean you shouldn't try them..... You have smoked enough... Give them a shot. Just take your time smoking them. I was the same way. I just make sure when I smoke a full bodied I dedicate a good hour and a half to it.. You will enjoy it I promise !
  • Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    One of the first real cigars I ever smoked was an El Cobre which is very full bodied and I loved it! Just take your time. I agree, buy them soon and let them sit. For me, the MOW didn't really do it for me until it had 4 months or more on it. They really get a lot better with time.
    I hear what you guys are sayin. I will def. try one, but just didnt want to rush into full bodied smokes. Like I mentioned, I've only had a few cigars.

Well...I know I shouldl just go ahead and buy that 12 pack AJ sampler cause it has soo many nice sticks at such a great deal, but I think I will wait and just buy them another time and then age it for a few months.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    The MOW lines are very tasty, you cannot go wrong with any of the blends.
  • The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    Duder2:
    One of the first real cigars I ever smoked was an El Cobre which is very full bodied and I loved it! Just take your time. I agree, buy them soon and let them sit. For me, the MOW didn't really do it for me until it had 4 months or more on it. They really get a lot better with time.

good idea. buy them now and let them sit so by the time you are ready to try some full bodied cigars you'll already have some with the proper amount of age on them