Home General Discussion

Help - how do I fill a torch?

So I just got my first torch today - the Bugatti from the GOF DD (yay!) - and some Xikar butane. What's the best way to fill it up - just turn the bottle upside down and press it into the lighter's valve until you hear gas escaping? I don't think this lighter has a window or anything to tell you how full the lighter is.

Comments

• doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    Just make sure the bottle is upside down so that the liquid butane inside is at the nozzle and press it into the valve on the lighter. I've found there is very little wait time on the torch I use, so I just hold it for a few seconds and then let go. It's worked for me so far.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go here: http://www.tobacconistuniversity.org/faq/faq-lighter-maintenance.asp.

Also, Tobacconist University can answer virtually any question you have about cigars, etc. Start from their home page and wander around the site after you learn how to fill your lighter.

• I had a bit of an issue filling my B-1 at first. Probably more related to the can of butane I was using than the lighter, but I had to gently move the can side to side as i filled it. Not much, just maybe a quarter inch in either direction. Filled it right up after that and used it last night. An amazing lighter, well worth the $25.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    jlmarta:
    Go here: http://www.tobacconistuniversity.org/faq/faq-lighter-maintenance.asp

Also, Tobacconist University can answer virtually any question you have about cigars, etc. Start from their home page and wander around the site after you learn how to fill your lighter.

Great link. Definitely a nice video

Purging is key, as the video states.
  • asolomonasolomon Posts: 128
    Hmm thanks. I tried lighting up a few minutes after filling (for about 10 seconds) and didn't get anything. I'm going to try unmerrymelodies' suggestion of moving it around a bit. How long do you usually wait between filling it and lighting it? EDIT: I tried purging for a few seconds using a pipe tool, but maybe I didn't do it right. That could be the problem!
    It should have a dial on the bottom that adjusts the flame height - with another torch I have, it has to be at a certain point or else it won't light at all.
    You should hear it purge. Makes a hissing noise - but if there isn't any fluid in there, you won't hear anything at all.
    Also, give it a while to let it warm back up. The butane is freezing when it goes in the lighter.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    TatuajeVI:
    >Also, give it a while to let it warm back up. The butane is freezing when it goes in the lighter.
    In addition to the excellent advice about purging, this too needs to be said more often. Don't expect your torch to work properly right after filling - give it about 10-20 minutes before trying to use it. Whether your torch is from the gas station or cost $100, all torches need some time for the butane to acclimate once it's filled.
    Sweet it's working! I think. I lit it for a couple of seconds but am going to give it some more time to settle. Does anyone with the Bugatti lighter know the best way to adjust the flame height? I see the dial but it looks like you need a screwdriver to turn that thing.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can use a screwdriver, but if it is not too tight, you can just use your fingernail to turn it. I have two butane lighters and both turn fairly easily. Often, as the lighter fills up, it will get very cold and there will be a slight blow back. Hold it in your hand to get it warm for a few minutes and it should work without a problem.

After that, just make sure you buy the triple refined butane so it doesn't get gunked up.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    asolomon:
    Sweet it's working! I think. I lit it for a couple of seconds but am going to give it some more time to settle. Does anyone with the Bugatti lighter know the best way to adjust the flame height? I see the dial but it looks like you need a screwdriver to turn that thing.
    I use a screwdriver that came with an eyeglass repair kit (I have the same lighter). You can find them for like 2-3 bucks at the grocery store.
    Yep, I'm using this stuff! http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=M-XKBUC1 Meanwhile if anyone else has the Bugatti lighter I'd appreciate some tips on turning this flame adjuster, even a screwdriver doesn't seem to work (I don't have one small enough). One last question: should the lighter be pretty silent? It has a big flame (I think it's on the max setting) but it's definitely pretty loud, a sort of whooshing sound. Is that normal?
    I use the tip of a sharp knife or pretty much anything I can find that would fit. They definitely shouldn't be silent - some people refer to them as "jet lighters" due to the noise they make when they are lit.
    TatuajeVI:
    I use the tip of a sharp knife or pretty much anything I can find that would fit. They definitely shouldn't be silent - some people refer to them as "jet lighters" due to the noise they make when they are lit.
    Oh!! That's a good idea! *gets out Leatherman* ;)
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    What was this deal...Did I miss a GOF Daily Deal..please tell me it aint so!!!
    Hawk55:
    What was this deal...Did I miss a GOF Daily Deal..please tell me it aint so!!!
    Oh no!! Don Carlos Robusto and a Bugatti B-1 lighter for $25. It's pretty sweet, mine just got in today though a lot of people who don't have to deal with Yale's mail system got them earlier, lol. It was a DD last week during the March Madness.