Home Cigar 101
Options

Draw issues

Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
I sat down earlier tonight expecting to enjoy my first RP Vintage 1992 but to my suprise I couldnt. Everything in the pre-light seemed ok, no cracks in the wrapper, firm feel but not hard, cut with my standard punch. I torched it and went to take my first draw and next to nothing. I took a few more puffs and still couldnt get any decent amount of smoke. I should add here that it wasnt the punch hindering the smoke the draw was incredibly loose. Again I inspected the wrapper expecting to see smoke escaping from somewhere but no. I have had some sticks with a loose draw before but I couldnt even keep this lit for more than 1 min or so. Has anyone had anything like this happen before? I could see if there was a crack or the wrapper was peeling but everything looked fine. But to end the story on a good note I just went back to the humi and got a Alec Bradley Harvest Select and enjoyed that with a good micro-brew that my parents brought back from there weekend trip to Pittsburgh. So the first real nice weather night was not lost just not as good as I had hoped.

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I've had that happen before, no idea what causes it or what can be done to fix it.
  • Options
    txjayhawktxjayhawk Posts: 311
    had it happen with a Gurkha Signature 101...pissed me of but thank God I had a Diesel waiting to save the day.
  • Options
    undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    Same thing happened to me last night with a different stick but I didn't post about it because I didn't know how to describe it. The only thing I can add is that I would have to take a ton of puffs to get smoke on a loose draw and finally would get a good puff. The problem was that it turned the cigar hot. I wasn't an inch into the cigar and the band was already warm. I smoked another inch or two and called it a night.
  • Options
    AdcuriumAdcurium Posts: 179 ✭✭
    I had a similar issue a few times before and I found if you 'roll' the stick between your thumb and first finger you can loosen it up. Just give it a firm roll around the band area then in the middle of the stick.
  • Options
    EnphraredEnphrared Posts: 62
    Might sound noobish, but cut a coat hanger and push it down the middle as gently as possible. I think there's a tool out there for this, but this is the free way. lol
  • Options
    Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    I dont know if I was clear with my discription before. It wasnt that the draw was tight it wasnt plugged, it was so loose that I couldnt even get a draw on it. I feel for the couple of guys who said this happened to them as well, its a quick way to ruin an afternoon.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Dustin1981:
    I feel for the couple of guys who said this happened to them as well, its a quick way to ruin an afternoon.
    Yeah, the only thing worse than looking forward to a cigar and having it so tight you can't get any smoke is looking forward to a cigar that will draw fine but not give any smoke. Frustrating is the word that comes to mind.