Home Cigar 101

Gotta beef w/ my Hygro

Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
I have a problem with my new Xikar digital Hygro. I get it home, put it in a baggie with a cap full of salt wet with water with no standing water on top(standard salt calibration), leave it in there for 24 hrs and reset it to 75%. Just for schitzengigles i put it in my already up and running humi alongside my other Xikar digital hygro and my new one reads 8% higher. Then i get the bright idea to put both in humi that is being seasoned until my known good one reads 75...then i hit the cal button my new one...fool proof right? Not so much, put em both back in my normal humi and the new one now reads 4% higher. Any wisdom, anyone run into this before....and for the record i really dont like the new xikar hygros(the ones with slits on top AND the sides....waaay too damn touchy.

Comments

• mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    Salt test it and let it sit for longer.
  • Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    Or if your really stuck you can get the Bovida One-Step cal kit.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Dustin1981:
    Yeah, I think that's where I'd go next. Calibrate both of them.
  • The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    Dustin1981:

I only use the bovida to calibrate. i dont trust the salt test
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    When I salt test, I always like to stick an extra cap of dry salt in the bag as a control measure, then let it sit for about 36 hrs. You should also know that even digital hygro's require re-calibration from time to time (maybe once every 6mo to a year)
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Replace both batteries, too. They have trouble reading correctly when battery levels get low. Sometimes when they ship with the original batteries installed, you don't know how long they have sat on a shelf before they were shipped to you. So, even though the batteries might be "new" and unused, they are still weak. I had that exact same problem, replaced both batteries with new ones and they are both spot on.
  • Jetmech_63:
    I have a problem with my new Xikar digital Hygro. I get it home, put it in a baggie with a cap full of salt wet with water with no standing water on top(standard salt calibration), leave it in there for 24 hrs and reset it to 75%. Just for schitzengigles i put it in my already up and running humi alongside my other Xikar digital hygro and my new one reads 8% higher. Then i get the bright idea to put both in humi that is being seasoned until my known good one reads 75...then i hit the cal button my new one...fool proof right? Not so much, put em both back in my normal humi and the new one now reads 4% higher. Any wisdom, anyone run into this before....and for the record i really dont like the new xikar hygros(the ones with slits on top AND the sides....waaay too damn touchy.
    Salt test in themselves seem to vary. Seriously, too little and too much water will affect the readings. Zip lock bags are not air tight so normal environmental issues will come into play. I personally stopped using zip lock bags and went to them air tight Tupperware boxes. The ones with little wing looking things and a rubber seal. At least there I *think* you have a better chance to control environmental issues which will/may cause issues with the test results, thus a strange flux in readings.

Maybe give that a try?
  • xmacro:
    When I salt test, I always like to stick an extra cap of dry salt in the bag as a control measure, then let it sit for about 36 hrs. You should also know that even digital hygro's require re-calibration from time to time (maybe once every 6mo to a year)
    that's a good trick there.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    The Cank:
    Dustin1981:

I only use the bovida to calibrate. i dont trust the salt test
    Yeah, me too. I could never get the salt test to work reliably.