Home Ratings & Reviews

CAO La Traviata

AdcuriumAdcurium Posts: 179 ✭✭
I'm not sure how competent I am to make this review since I'm rather new to the hobby but, since I couldn't find too much about this stick online, I thought I would give it a shot: I picked up the La Traviata at my local B&M on the shop keeper's suggestion. It was dark in color but he assured me that it wasn't as strong as one would think. It sat in my humidor for about two weeks or so and I decided to smoke it last night. I used a single blade cutter (I'm ashamed to say, one of those free, plastic advertisement jobers I got for free somewhere along the way) and I noticed the cigar was rolled very 'tight'. In fact, it was the tightest roll I've encountered so far. I roasted the foot for a few seconds and was able to get a good light. The draw was very tight (but not quite difficult, per se) so I thought it must have been my cut. But, it wasn't. My cut was rather generous and I attributed the tight draw to the actual roll of the cigar (I have no idea if this is true or not but, that was the best conclusion I was able to reach with my limited experience). The burn was very slow and even and, if I had more time, I probably could have enjoyed this cigar for well over two hours. The taste varried and changed over the course of my smoke but always provided real taste and body without being too overwhelming for this newbie. It tasted pleasant the whole while and I seemed to get hints of leather from time to time. The taste didn't match the smell (which was also pleasant) and made the smoke more complex than I expected. I was at first reluctant to call the taste 'leather' b/c I was afraid the color and look of the cigar was influencing my taste perception but by the end I was convinced that 'leather' was a good description. Throughout the smoke I also recognized an earth taste and scent here and there which was never soo overpowering as to render the experience, in any way, unleasant. My bottom line is this: I enjoyed this cigar more than any other I've had soo far. I'll be picking up a few more later today. I don't remember how much I paid but I'll make a note of it today and ammend my 'review' (if you can even call this a review). Given that I have been smoking mild cigars thus far, the body delivered by ths cigar was a fantastic experience. So, I hope this helps and while my opinion has no value, I hope you get a chance to try the CAO La Traviata b/c I think it is a great smoke with enjoyable body.

Comments

• Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    Just picked up one of these, can't wait to try it out after some good rest time.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I've had the robusto and toro, I vastly prefer the robusto. Logically one would think the toro should be a one inch longer version of the robusto, but in my expereince the toro started slower and took a good 1.5 inches to get good and started losing it with 2 inches to go, one sliding into bitterness and overheating. The robusto, on the other hand, got going within a few puffs and was solid to the nub with no overheating or acrid flavors.

This is based on my experience with 3 toros and 3 or 4 robustos. Just goes to show how different a particular cigar can be from one vitola to another, even when both are so close dimension-wise.
    j0z3r:
    I've had the robusto and toro, I vastly prefer the robusto. Logically one would think the toro should be a one inch longer version of the robusto, but in my expereince the toro started slower and took a good 1.5 inches to get good and started losing it with 2 inches to go, one sliding into bitterness and overheating. The robusto, on the other hand, got going within a few puffs and was solid to the nub with no overheating or acrid flavors.

This is based on my experience with 3 toros and 3 or 4 robustos. Just goes to show how different a particular cigar can be from one vitola to another, even when both are so close dimension-wise.
    Nice, I'm glad I grabbed the robusto then!
  • ljlljl Posts: 819
    Had the toro last night. I did not have the issues that J0z3r had. Prelight on this seemed VERY leathery to me. Had some good leather and cedar during the smoke. Wrapper had a nice oily sheen to it, they were really going for "cubanesque" on this one. Overall I found it to be a very well rounded blend with a medium body. Produced plenty of smoke (sweet smell on the smoke) and no construction issues. One of the best I've had in a while.
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    I have one resting that Jsanke sent me a few months back ....cant wait to fire it up
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I had the toro a few weeks back and remember not being impressed at all.
  • Well, I have not been into this hobby for to long and have probably only downed 10 sticks in the past few months...so I tried one of these Wednesday night. I will say that I enjoyed this cigar immensely but it definitely left me in an ill state when I was done. I don't have much of a palate built up, but I thought the first inch of the Divino (robusto) I lit up was peppery. The cigar was rolled incredibly tight, as mentioned above, but lit with no problems (and I use matches). After the pepper was done, the middle of the cigar had some nice flavor..but I can't recognize it yet (maybe earthy). The last 1/3 of the cigar was vanilla and cream, simply wonderful. I knew to eat well before trying this "cuban" style cigar..but I came near to seeing my cajun chicken sandwich again after standing up. The smoke took about 1 hour and 15 minutes. It only took about 30 minutes to recover from it after I was done heh..but now I know to continue with the mild cigars until I build a tolerance. I will smoke one of these again, but it will be awhile.

Rob
    I had the robusto a few weeks ago and was a little disappointed. I could tell it had potential, but needed quite a bit more rest. I'd like to get another and try it again with at least a few months on it.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I am in the minority with this stick, I really didn't care for it. I had 2 robustos.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    I tried the corona yesterday based on a recommendation at my B&M. Pretty good burn despite the windy conditions I smoked it in. Great flavors of cedar and spice but I didn't get much of anything else. I can see this being a "go-to" stick for me.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I tried one the other day and it was really enoyable. Tastes reeeeally similar to a Torano Virtuoso....