Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Shaving/Male Grooming Thread

13»

Comments

• Options
    Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Wylaff has it. Several companies make it. I haven't noticed extreme differences in the affects from one to another so I will buy a scent sampler and then decide what I like and stock up. I go through about a pint a year
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try grape seed oil. It's very light, odorless,  and it does not go rancid during a period of heat. I use grape seen oil 9 months of the year, and coconut oil the other three. 
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just a Braun Series 5 electric razor, 2 minutes and no nicks.
  • Options
    @Wylaff I also supplement with biosilk. The scent is necessary to keep the missus from shaving me in my sleep. She hates my friendly hairs
  • Options
    What I like roughly translates to what she tolerates
  • Options
    HeavysetrapierHeavysetrapier Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a Gillette Mach 3 like I have for years. I really don't use shaving cream or soap except for once a week (right after my two off days because I've got 3-day growth). That being said, when I get a haircut I also get a shave so that someone else with a better view and hopefully better skills can line me up and make my beard look clean. My question is that I see all of the pictures of these straight blades like the barber uses - do y'all use these on yourselves? How do you shave yourself with a straight razor?
  • Options
    How do you shave yourself with a straight razor?
    Carefully and with practice. Invest in a styptic pencil. Get the angle right and don't try to turn the blade laterally and you can run that razor across a balloon. The learning curve is a bit steeper than something like your gilette but it's a very rewarding experience once you get good. I used a mach 5 for several years and got to where i had to shave three times a day to keep the head from plugging and I couldn't afford to replace the blades as often as I found I needed them. Now I use a safety straight razor and shave for pennies a year. There used to be a dedicated wet shaving thread in here somewhere. Maybe it's time to resurrect it
  • Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

On the off chance I ever get the urge to shave, I have my granddad's straight razer and strop.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    OutdoorsSmoke_21191OutdoorsSmoke_21191 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Considering shaving off the beast 😳❓❓

A good cigar and whiskey solve most problems.

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OutdoorsSmoke_21191 said:
    Considering shaving off the beast 😳❓❓

I would leave it alone.
    That was his way of saying… “Speaking of shaving, hehe, I’m still doin that weird stuff I told about on vHerf.”

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @MrShrek "male grooming" doesn't mean what you think it does.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve been thinking of getting me one of those Gillette intimate razors 😁

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:
    Hey @MrShrek "male grooming" doesn't mean what you think it does.

That's the only part I do shave...

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

........ tempted

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

My boss called me Santa on a cross-functional conference call recently, that also helped make up my mind. It's just so easy to let it ride and not shave the beard.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm still trying to find an alternative to gillette sensor 2 twin blade pivot head disposables. I've been using these as long as I can remember. I'm still wishing to boycott them since they got all sanctimonious with their ads a few years back. I like a lightweight handle and the swivel head, and gillette performs best for me, fewer strokes and thus fewer hairs missed, for a quick and fast task. I have not found an equal or even an acceptable alternative yet. I'll admit I have not looked hard enough. I tried a few here and there and I'd always go back to that big ole value bag of cheap but effective gillettes that last me a long long time because I would get 6 to 8 uses out of them before I'd have to toss 'em, plus I'm usually only shaving every other day at most. Of the others I can remember testing out, bic single blades and bic twin swivel recently, and those missed sooo many hairs. Also tried a huge box of no-name twin swivels from amazon that, by appearances, looked a lot like gillette. Pathetic results. I returned that whole box minus one. Currently waiting for amazon to deliver a few of the Barbasol twin swivel disposables. TN Paul recommended those barbasol disposables way back when we were discussing the boycott, so I may have tried them already but don't recall. I have considered going old school with safety razors, but I understand there's a learning curve involving blood and scabs, plus a hefty initial investment which has me continuing down the path I'm already on for now.

• Options
    HawksHawks Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bob_Luken I understand the disdain for Gillette but I am not willing to give up my Sensory Excell. Especially after buying a big box of blades from the Bay a few years ago. Been using the damn thing since they sent me one in the mail when I turned 18.

Nolite Oblivisci Peniculus Dentes