Home Cigar 101

humidor seasoning question

TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
So I just purchased a new humidor and am in the middle of seasoning it. I am using shot glasses of distilled water. It's a larger humidor, 300-400 count, so I have a few shot glasses in there. I'm in no rush to season it. My question: I have a pound of beads I just got for the humi - should I add those in there as well charged up or should I wait until the humidor is seasoned?

Comments

• The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    I just seasoned my 300 count with shot glasses of distilled and I also put a pound of charged beads in with it. It only took 4 days to season. Its working great now !
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    shot glasses?

you can cut your seasoning time down by having lower, wider/flatter dishes in there that will expose more surface of water. might as well throw the beads in there. it wont hurt. i would recommend that the beads be 100% charged at the start of this.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    kuzi16:
    shot glasses?

you can cut your seasoning time down by having lower, wider/flatter dishes in there that will expose more surface of water. might as well throw the beads in there. it wont hurt. i would recommend that the beads be 100% charged at the start of this.
    Yeah, I figured I'd have them fully charged since all that humidity will get absorbed pretty quick. And I'll grab something more shallow for the water. Thanks!
  • mobyallanmobyallan Posts: 69
    The Cank:
    I just seasoned my 300 count with shot glasses of distilled and I also put a pound of charged beads in with it. It only took 4 days to season. Its working great now !

no kidding - I will remember that for my next seasoning - I was recently looking into Boveda packs. They seem pretty handy.

So with a pound of beads and some shallow water bowls in there, the new humidor was charged and ready to go on Sunday. It's now getting nice and stuffed with cigars! Thanks for the advice, gentlemen.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    PICS!!
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Easiest way to season a humidor: Stick a cigar Oasis in the humidor, set it on 80% and come back in 24-48 hours to a perfectly seasoned humi.
    xmacro:
    PICS!!
    My camera is currently residing at a friends house. I'll have it back this weekend and will take some pics for the "pics of your humidor setup" thread.
  • HeronhouseHeronhouse Posts: 2

I am in the process of seasoning a 165 count humidor with a take out tray. I put in the boveda seasons packs (4x 84% packs) plus I filled the humidors own humidifier. It’s been conditioning for 5 days without opening the humidor. See the graphic for the readings I am getting on humidity.

Should I leave it untouched for a few more days till the humidity stays flat for 2-3 days, or should I remove the 84% boveda packs and and a few cigars?

• YaksterYakster Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19

I'd recommend waiting two weeks before adding cigars and I'd ditch the humidor's humidifier and just go with Bovedas.

The wood will continue to absorb moisture for a while.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

2 weeks!!

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.

Two Weeks!

• Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your rh will never stay flat as long as you have those spikes in temperature. Relative humidity is relative to the temperature. It measures the amount of moisture in the air inside that humidor.
    Now here’s the thing most people don’t comprehend starting out. Inside of a sealed container the moisture content does not change. If that container is sealed well then whatever moisture is in there is still there regardless of what a hygrometer says. A hygrometer measures the humidity. It doesn’t actually measure the moisture content of your cigars.
    My advice would be like they said above, remove the humidification that came with it, wait the two weeks, use boveda….put your humidor in a temperature stable environment….and don’t panic. Hygrometers are fun toys but they tell you very little about your actual cigars.

• Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

And out of curiosity….where are you that you’re using C°?

• HeronhouseHeronhouse Posts: 2

I am in Florida, but having lived Europe for a long time (and being a pilot) I use C….to me it’s still the most intuitive way to measure temps…

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum @Heronhouse. I hope you will stay for a while and join in on the other threads.

Welcome @Heronhouse, I do all my coffee roasting using grams and degrees Celsius yet while I know that I'll hit first crack at around 211 degrees Celsius using the IR thermometer in my roaster I don't have a good feel for ambient temperatures in that system so when I look up at my thermometer and it says 27 C I have to convert it. I also have to convert my coffee been inventory which I buy in pounds into kg for my roster software, more and more coffee roasters are selling their roasted coffee in grams yet most unroasted coffee here is still sold by the pound.

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

**** metric!

Trapped in the People's Communist Republic of Massachusetts.