Home Cigar 101
Options

Distilled or Glycol for crystal packs

Here is another newbie question. I don't think I have seen an answer (let alone this specific question) regarding if it may be better to use distilled water or the glycol solution in the crystal packs. I have seen the manufacturer say to use their brand "solution". This solution usually is a 70% (or whatever amount) of glycol. Then sometimes I see postings that say to use distilled water. What is the consensus? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    I use distilled water and beads, found that combo to be easiest and better control....
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Markbb:
    I use distilled water and beads, found that combo to be easiest and better control....
    im the same as markbb here. I cant help woth any crystal packs. sorry.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    The thing to watch out for with the glycol solution is that the glycol doesn't dissipate like the water does, so you'll end up having a humidification medium that won't absorb much or any water after a certain period of time. I don't know if this is the same with crystal packs, as I have no idea what those are, but I always figure better safe than sorry...plus dis. water is like $1/ gallon, how much is the glycol solution?
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Markbb:
    It looks like we are in agreement, Beads and distilled water seems to be the popular way to go. I do the same.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Nic what are the crystal packs that you are talking about, this would be the best way to start to answer your question. Some humidification devices require the solution some work better with water.
  • Options
    SacNickSacNick Posts: 77
    Thank you for everyone's replies. I guess I am still not clear on the Bead thing.
    I have the little Xicar jar on the top of this page (item 1), and now the 100 count cigar crystal humidifier (3rd item) located here:
    http://www.xikar.com/product_humidification.asp#

I better start reading more about the beads. It seems to I should have at least two humidification methods. I should have one based on glycol (in some container) and another container based on distilled water.
    I just don't seem to have the room for a big round humidifier (or two). I may try and get the humidifiers that look like cigars. I just hope I don't need 10 of them. ;)