Home General Discussion

Cigar of the Month Club -- Need Your Input!

TheCigarChickTheCigarChick Moderator Posts: 320 admin

Hey All --

While I'm working on re-doing our Cigar of the Month Club (aka COMC) packaging, I'm also very interested in your opinions. Whether you're a current or former CIGAR.com COMC member, or just have a good idea, I'm totally open to suggestions. If you're unfamiliar with our COMC, you can read more here: https://www.cigar.com/club/cigar-of-the-month-club/2020372/

We have some ordering options which will be coming down the pike, but I continue to work really closely with our vendors to get an ever-evolving selection of new, boutique, and/or unique cigars within each month's line-up. Shipping is always free. Do you think there are sizes I should focus on more, or even vendors I should use more often? That's the kind of info I'm seeking. Please feel free to tag me in your responses, or simply email me directly (lindsayh@cigar.com).

Thank you.
Lindsay

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 27,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TheCigarChick, I was a member of the Janus Tobak cigar of the month club for a short while until they closed up. I appreciated the write-up about each cigar sent giving me more information about the cigar and the maker, You wouldn't have to include a paper print-out, you could have the information online, maybe have a QR code in the box for the shipment or for each cigar that you could tie in with the information and possibly give them a way to re-order their favorites.

My favorite vitolas are Coronas, Robustos, Toros, Corona Gordas, but everything I hear from the industry is that the larger ring gauges are the big sellers, so I guess it depends on who the target audience is going to be.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 16,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 25

Once again proving how cynical an oldfart can be... I suspect some COTM clubs are concocted by some online retailers to move a dud or two that aren't selling. Kind of like when you see an email for a rare/elite Fuente but it's stuck in a sampler with some Chatueu de Stinky's. I agree w/ @CalvinAndHobo on what a bust it was getting one or two sticks out of five that I just didn't care to smoke, and that's the main reason I got out of the clubs I was in.

It would be great fun and extremely interesting sometime to find out the percentage of cigars forum members smoke that aren't even sold by Ccom.

We love you Lindsay @TheCigarChick and appreciate all of your efforts to make the cigar world a better place and our enjoyment of cigars moar better.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • TheCigarChickTheCigarChick Moderator Posts: 320 admin

@peter4jc The fact you typed out "oldfart" makes me laugh like I'm 12, so thank you for the levity. :smiley:

I think it's horrible that some COTM Clubs are using a subscription box as a means to move duds as I find that extremely dishonest. Our model at CIGAR.com is to have one featured cigar, two highly-recommended, and two everyday options (often one mellow-medium and the other medium-full) for variety.

What I find most interesting is in formal surveys recently many COMC members told us they enjoyed the two everyday options more than the fancier/boutique/higher-end options included. Just goes to show that if I removed all of the bands and told people to just enjoy, they'd more than likely choose the $7 cigar over the $19 one...

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been a COTMC member here for many years. I always like trying new stuff, sometimes something comes along that I'd have never tried and I learn that I want it. Other times, I now know that I don't want it. Pretty helpful at a reasonable cost.

It's rare that I like the larger ring gauges. Just for the record. I think those are mostly frat boy cigars and are more about bragging rights than cigar enjoyment, but, to each his own. Sometimes I'll try them and if I like them I look to see if they're available in a more desirable vitola.

One thing I do miss about the old days was the information sheet that came with each month's order. Gave a little information about the cigar, the brand, the blender etc.

I liked that.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

@Amos_Umwhat Great feedback. Since you've been a COMC member for a long time, do you not find the current Newsletter as informative, or do you prefer the extra info with the ratings system?

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 25

Not informative at all, or maybe it's just not being put in the box. Now there's just a little stamp page. No information. Cool box, though.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • OutdoorsSmoke_21191OutdoorsSmoke_21191 Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26

From a personal standpoint, I too, agree with @Rdp77 (pricing tiers and flavor profiles), @Yakster and @Amos_Umwhat (cigar, blender information) and @peter4jc and @CalvinAndHobo (that one or two cigars nobody wants. I like to try new releases. I, also, know what I like and respectively, purchase. Perhaps, corporate speaking, a process where purchasing and marketing can work together (rather than, hey marketing this is what we purchase, work your magic). I’m thinking a sneak preview (time logistics TBD) of cigars and sizes, that could be released to members, to be voted on by club members. Overall vote , the people have spoken. That way purchasing could use the information to purchase accordingly and marketing would have a jump on product marketing as well as included information. I’m aware of logistics on this one, just my thoughts.

A good cigar and whiskey solve most problems.

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

New releases with a vitola option.

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh. And a monthly sliding price calculated as a %-off discount to accommodate differing MSRPs

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26

I love the idea of a good cotm club, but I've never liked any that I've been in except for two.

One was the Ezra Zion club , and I think that worked for me because all of those cigars are generally the same and I generally like all of those profiles. The only problem with it was the **** coffee bags, which were filled with rocks or terrible coffee. The other one was the small batch club, and I think I had the $20 option. It started with like four cigars I ended up getting two cigars toward the end and no real value.

Everyone has documented the problem with these clubs fully. I guess the bottom line is that they're great for people who are looking to browse around and have an open mind about absolutely everything. The reason nobody sticks to them is that the first time they get a Connecticut Gordo, they're out. That Gordo Connecticut could taste like pumpkin pie, but if a customer feels like they're never going to smoke it and they never do, then you didn't reach them, even if it's a pumpkin pie cigar.

Of course! Privada has been successful for a long time, but in the end it's just like the Ezra zion in that all of that privada crap is pretty much the same. It's boutique-y and a fuçk load of Caldwell.

Custom tailoring to user preferences isn't really feasible if you're trying to serve a thousand or 2,000 customers. So that's likely out.

I don't know how you could make it successful, but the only way that I would probably join one is if it were an AJ Fernandez cigar of the month club. That said, you could just have people pick a manufacturer, and then everyone who picks that manufacturer gets three or five or x number of cigars from that manufacturer. You can also control the price point based on the manufacturer, so for instance, if you were to offer an el septimo monthly package, it would be a lot more than say the oliva.

Problem with that is that there are likely few options. AJ, oliva, and Gurkha from the stuff you guys typically have in stock. You'd probably get a few dozen subscribers but probably not enough to Make it worth your squeeze.

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.

@OutdoorsSmoke_21191 said:
    From a personal standpoint, I too, agree with @Rdp77 (pricing tiers and flavor profiles), @Yakster and @Amos_Umwhat (cigar, blender information) and @peter4jc and @CalvinAndHobo (that one or two cigars nobody wants. I like to try new releases. I, also, know what I like and respectively, purchase. Perhaps, corporate speaking, a process where purchasing and marketing can work together (rather than, hey marketing this is what we purchase, work your magic). I’m thinking a sneak preview (time logistics TBD) of cigars and sizes, that could be released to members, to be voted on by club members. Overall vote , the people have spoken. That way purchasing could use the information to purchase accordingly and marketing would have a jump on product marketing as well as included information. I’m aware of logistics on this one, just my thoughts.

Very insightful and I appreciate the angles you've provided, so thank you. What you're proposing sounds like a nice idea for a future COTM Club idea, and something similar to an idea I've kicked around to Marketing a few times. The one issue with revamping the current model to fit what you've proposed is I have to go to manufacturers with A LOT (6-9 months min.) lead time to see if the cigars I'll need in the future would be available given their respective production schedules, and even then things with certain vendors go off the rail. (lol) When it comes to new releases sometimes I get lucky and can bump other options down the pike if a vendor actually made enough cigars during the first run, but unlike some other COTMs, we need more cigars than a bunch of the Clubs out there.

I guess this is the blessing/curse of truly handmade products, right?

@silvermouse said:
    Oh. And a monthly sliding price calculated as a %-off discount to accommodate differing MSRPs

Are you referring to the cost of the club per month? If so, that's not possible and would probably land us in legal hot water with both open and fixed memberships under the guise of deceptive business practice. ;)

We do, however, offer a flat 10% discount on all non-club purchases (except for gift cards). COMC Members have no exclusions with their 10% - this includes brands often barred from visible discounts - because it's an automatic coupon that gets factored into the Checkout process. (It's tied to one's customer account.)

@silvermouse said:

Could you please elaborate?

@TheCigarChick said:

@OutdoorsSmoke_21191 said:

Very insightful and I appreciate the angles you've provided, so thank you. What you're proposing sounds like a nice idea for a future COTM Club idea, and something similar to an idea I've kicked around to Marketing a few times. The one issue with revamping the current model to fit what you've proposed is I have to go to manufacturers with A LOT (6-9 months min.) lead time to see if the cigars I'll need in the future would be available given their respective production schedules, and even then things with certain vendors go off the rail. (lol) When it comes to new releases sometimes I get lucky and can bump other options down the pike if a vendor actually made enough cigars during the first run, but unlike some other COTMs, we need more cigars than a bunch of the Clubs out there.

I guess this is the blessing/curse of truly handmade products, right?

I figured a long lead time for ordering. However, if you know what vendors you will be buying from with long lead times, you could always forecast that to the club members for a vote. That way members have their choices voted for ahead of buying and receiving. Members would need to have some skin in the game to remain members during the voting, to cigar com buying , shipping and receiving monthly allotment. Another idea stretch 😜.

@rsherman24 said:
    @OutdoorsSmoke_21191 subscribes to the forum lottery for his cigar of the month club

That’s some funny 💩 right there 😜😜😜😜 that’s why I’m suspending my “subscription” for a few months 🤙🏼🤘🏼

• GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wylaff said:

@TheCigarChick said:

@silvermouse said:

Could you please elaborate?

I agree with Edward.

I tried to type something insightful.
    Nevermind.
    I concur.

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.

@Wylaff Appreciate the commentary. :smile:

Our COMC is meant simply to entice cigar lovers -- not specifically newer enthusiasts or seasoned aficionados. That a big reason as to why it's setup the way that it is, with one featured stick, two highly-recommended, and two everyday cigars. We try to make the featured cigar really important whether it be new or very limited, or high MSRP; the recommended cigars are often still special and/or higher cost.

As far as sizes are concerned, I'm right there with most of you: I love Corona Gordas, Lonsdales, Robustos, etc. Would it come as a shock to know that Coronas are the poorest-selling size online by a mile? (LOL, it's true) We do have to mix up sizes, and it's often during certain seasons supplying some larger sizes in the summer, and smaller vitolas in the winter.

Of course if anyone on here can get some cigarmakers to invest in demand planning personnel so their production schedules aren't always hot messes, we'd all benefit! ;)