Home Cigar 101
Options

New humi seal question..

I just got my new humidor in and I checked the seal by the dollar bill test. On one side it is pretty snug. On the other side and the front I did not get as much resistance I would have liked. Should I panic or wait and test again after I season it? Do they normally swell a bit after taking on moisture? My 20ct humi seems to have a much better seal by way of the dollar bill test. Any ideas on what I should do?

Comments

• Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Test it after you season it. Both my large humidors were sort of loose when I first got them. Once I seasoned them, I was surprised how tight they were. I believe the wood swells when it absorbs the distilled water.

I also prefer using a small pyrex dish of distilled water rather than wiping it down. Give it a few days and you will be fine.
  • Options
    coachjamiecoachjamie Posts: 337
    That is what I was hoping for and thought would be the case. Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    coachjamie:
    That is what I was hoping for and thought would be the case. Thanks for the info.
    If after a time the seal does not seem as tight as you would like, you can wipe down the wood around the edge of the humi and the lid of the humi, and it will cause the seal wood to swell and tighten up the seal for you.
  • Options
    Ok I will check that out in a few days. I have had it seasoning since I received it. I did not open it until it had the sponge in it for 36 hours. It was at 72% then. I let it continue for another 24 hours and checked again and it was up to 82%. I then removed the sponge and put in my 70% heartfelt bead tube. I let it sit again for 24 hours. I checked it this morning and it was at 71%. I will check again this evening at some point to make sure it is stable. Then I will probably wait another day and then check the seal. If all is well at that point I will put my sticks in it.
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Don't forget the "whoosh test" too........ When your humi is properly seasoned, let your lid fall shut. If it slams down, no good. If it makes a small "whoosh" sound, then your seal is good.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    GadwinDuilGadwinDuil Posts: 474
    lilwing88:
    Don't forget the "whoosh test" too........ When your humi is properly seasoned, let your lid fall shut. If it slams down, no good. If it makes a small "whoosh" sound, then your seal is good.
    I've never heard of this test and am interested in it a little bit - Anyone want to explain the science behind this one because I'm curious...

I imagine it's something about the humidity in the humidor apposed to the humidity outside the humidor in the sense that there is some kind of resistance in the humidor air from being pushed out? Not sure if that makes any sense, but I'm just making a guess... >.>
  • Options
    mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    The lid falling is going to create downward air movement into the interior of the humidor, which if the humidor is well sealed, will be forced out the sides providing a cushion of moving air for the lid to fall upon, therefore slowing its descent.
  • Options
    GadwinDuilGadwinDuil Posts: 474
    Oooo, I gotcha. So it's a seal thing, not a humidity thing. Duh.... Coulda come to that conclusion if i'd thought about it a little more, me thinks, lol. Thanks for the lightning answer, Pillow.
  • Options
    Well, my humi seems to be sealed fine. Did the dollar bill test again, seemed a bit tighter. Hard to do the woosh test with the way the latch is on my humi, I will have to tape it up and try it because it just kind of hangs down and will hit what it goes around before the lid gets fully closed.

It seems to be seasoned good and is holding good humidity, staying around 66-70%. I have a large 70% bead tube in there. I have it full of cigars at the moment also.
  • Options
    I had my humi open for quite a while yesterday taking out all the sticks I received the other day to take pics of them. I have to say I am really impressed with the Heartfelt Bead tube I have in there. It was a while getting everything out and then again while getting everything back in and organizing the way I wanted it in there differently than when I pulled them out. I checked my hygro this morning and it was sitting at 67%. I have not had to do anything but spray the tube down one time shortly after seasoning. It has been the easiest thing to deal with!