Home Cigar 101

swiss cheese cigar

Stryker808Stryker808 Posts: 269
I recently recieved a great cigar as a gift from a BOTL, unfortunately, it was full of cigar beetle holes. Im counting 6 holes through the wrapper. However, this is a killer cigar and I ain't gonna let frickn Beetles stand in the way of me enjoying this one. Whats the best way to plug up the holes so I can smoke em. If I smoke it as is all the draw air comes from the wholes, not the foot etc. I was thinking small pieces of tape or bits of wax. The holes are not very big. Any ideas or am I being ridiculous.

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Not sure about this one. Smoking the microscopic eggs is one thing - harmless; smoking the beetles themselves is another - even if you kill them, there's still the corpses to think about. I'm really not sure if you can smoke it with the holes; never had to myself

• KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Stryker808:
    I recently recieved a great cigar as a gift from a BOTL, unfortunately, it was full of cigar beetle holes. Im counting 6 holes through the wrapper. However, this is a killer cigar and I ain't gonna let frickn Beetles stand in the way of me enjoying this one. Whats the best way to plug up the holes so I can smoke em. If I smoke it as is all the draw air comes from the wholes, not the foot etc. I was thinking small pieces of tape or bits of wax. The holes are not very big. Any ideas or am I being ridiculous.
    C'Mon. Ridiculous
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    KCW:
    Stryker808:
    C'Mon. Ridiculous
    That must be one hell of a cigar...
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Stryker808:

... really?

... REALLY?
  • Stryker808Stryker808 Posts: 269
    GOF.....tried one a long time ago, and was looking forward to revisiting. Was a generous gift, and didn't want to waste it. oh well. ill try to smoke em and see what happens.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    just say no, don't do it. a very generous gift indeed and very possible that the eggs hatched when it was in your warmer and more humid climate in Guam so the sender would never have known but dude, smoking beetle corpses is not worth it.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Would you eat soup that has a fly in it? If the answer is no, don't smoke a stick with dead beetles in it, not even if it is a GOF. If it's yes, then still don't smoke it.
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Listen to the beatles but would not smoke one.
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    dude c'mon, that is just crazy. I couldn't do it, I don't care if it was a cohiba gran reserva. Chalk it up to a loss and toss it. Or you could torch the foot, and get it burning, sit down next to it, and smoke another cigar. That way you could say you smoked a cigar with the beatles....ba doom boom. I mean how would you explain the mouthfeel??? wiggly?? chuck it.
  • Stryker808Stryker808 Posts: 269
    oh a very generous gift indeed.......cool....its a loss....im movin on......was just checkn in with you guys....
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Stryker808:
    GOF.....tried one a long time ago, and was looking forward to revisiting. Was a generous gift, and didn't want to waste it. oh well. ill try to smoke em and see what happens.
    Was that the one I gave you? If so, my bad. To be honest, I was gifted a few of them myself. Considering the source of the gift, I never even thought twice to check them out before I passed one out. Also, I never had any experience with beetles, so I wouldn't even know what I was looking at anyways. Sorry, bro.

I checked the other GOF that I got and it looks good to me. But like I said, I wouldn't know what to look for anyways.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Give it to me and I'll smoke it. I would also eat soup that had a fly in it...

Whats the worst that happens? It tastes a little odd for a puff and then you are back to GOF goodness.

As for pluggin the holes, you could try and stick a small piece of another wrapper over each hole and use some of that cigar binder. Otherwise you could just smoke it like a flute.
  • ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭
    letsgowithbob:
    dude c'mon, that is just crazy. I couldn't do it, I don't care if it was a cohiba gran reserva. Chalk it up to a loss and toss it. Or you could torch the foot, and get it burning, sit down next to it, and smoke another cigar. That way you could say you smoked a cigar with the beatles....ba doom boom. I mean how would you explain the mouthfeel??? wiggly?? chuck it.
    I would have to agree with Bob. Don't know many people to have smoked a cigar the beatles
  • smith001smith001 Posts: 8
    Hey,

Each brand and type of cigar tastes different. While the wrapper does not entirely determine the flavor of the cigar, darker wrappers tend to produce a sweetness, while lighter wrappers usually have a "drier" taste. Whether a cigar is mild, medium, or full bodied does not correlate with quality. Different smokers will have different preferences, some liking one good cigar better than another, others disagreeing. Some words used to describe cigar flavor and texture include; spicy, peppery (red or black), sweet, harsh, burnt, green, earthy, woodsy, cocoa, roasted, aged, nutty, creamy, cedar, oak, chewy, fruity, and leathery.

Cigar smoke, which is rarely inhaled, tastes of tobacco with nuances of other tastes. Many different things affect the scent of cigar smoke: tobacco type, quality of the cigar, added flavors, age and humidity, production method (handmade vs. machine-made) and more. A fine cigar can taste completely different from inhaled cigarette smoke. When smoke is inhaled, as is usual with cigarettes, the tobacco flavor is less noticeable than the sensation from the smoke. Some cigar enthusiasts use a vocabulary similar to that of wine-tasters to describe the overtones and undertones observed while smoking a cigar. Journals are available for recording personal ratings, description of flavors observed, sizes, brands, etc. Cigar tasting is in such respects similar to wine, cognac, whisky and coffee tasting.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Man thats probably nothing compared to what you have eaten in restaraunts ...I'm just sayin ...