Home Cigar 101

keeping Cigars safe in the car

AdcuriumAdcurium Posts: 179 ✭✭
Is there any way to keep a few sticks in the car? Maybe a travel humidor? Anyone else keep a few in the glove box?

Comments

• Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Are you talking about keeping a few for a long period of time (i.e. More than a few hours)? If you just want to transport some, you can go with a leather case or cigar tube, or a herf-a-dor if you're transporting a larger amount.

If you're talking about storing a few in the car permanently, I'd advise against it, even if it is in a humidified humi, the temps in a car will fluctuate a ton depending on the season.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I keep 4 or 5 in a herfador with a water pillow with me everywhere I go. Even leave them in the truck, but I crack open the windows and park in the shade, and being that I smoke 4-5 a day, they don't seem to suffer any.
  • ljlljl Posts: 819
    cabinetmaker:
    I keep 4 or 5 in a herfador with a water pillow with me everywhere I go. Even leave them in the truck, but I crack open the windows and park in the shade, and being that I smoke 4-5 a day, they don't seem to suffer any.

+1 On the herfador. I have found that thing to be a great investment. Even works well when you want to take some sticks out of town with you on the weekend. The water pillow is also my method to keep em fresh. I agree that temp changes would keep this from working out long term though.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I was also wondering about this for my trips to go see my family. I usually spend about a week every 4-6 months and it takes me roughly 6 hours to get there. This is some good info on how to get them there and have them last for the duration of my stay. Thanks op and to the responders.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    travel humidors. THIS works very well.

i have both that one and the larger one. (15 count) great protection.
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    as the others have said, this really depends on how long you are going to be keeping them in the car. If its just for a few hours, than I would go with just some old tubos. Durable and small, fit perfectly in a pocket and low maintanence. If its for a long day, longer than 8 hrs, than tubo in a ziploc bag with a water pillow. If its for 2 days or the weekend....Herfador.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ironhorse:
    as the others have said, this really depends on how long you are going to be keeping them in the car. If its just for a few hours, than I would go with just some old tubos. Durable and small, fit perfectly in a pocket and low maintanence. If its for a long day, longer than 8 hrs, than tubo in a ziploc bag with a water pillow. If its for 2 days or the weekend....Herfador.
    +1, just keep in mind, the temp inside the vehicle has a lot to do with how they hold up. If it's too hot, no matter what you keep them in, it will not be good.

• gdsim1gdsim1 Posts: 213
    ljl:
    cabinetmaker:

+1 On the herfador. I have found that thing to be a great investment. Even works well when you want to take some sticks out of town with you on the weekend. The water pillow is also my method to keep em fresh. I agree that temp changes would keep this from working out long term though.
    +2 I spend A LOT of time on the road for work, so I keep mine in a herfador with a drymistat tube and have never had a problem.

Four or five a DAY??? Cabby, you are a beast!!!

• taddowtaddow Posts: 51
    I purchased one of these and so far have been pleased with it's performance.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The herfadors are indeed great. I got a five count because it came with 5 Montecristo Media Noches as a special. I've used it often and now I'm sorry I didn't get one a little bigger.
  • ljlljl Posts: 819
    Started thinking about those little coolers that you can plug into your cigarette outlet. Do they still sell those? That would keep em from heating up too much. Guess you could unplug when you get where you are going and it would help control temp shifts...
  • If you are carrying cigars in car then keep the cellophane wrapper on it so, that it remain safe and fresh.Therefore,cellophane  paper is the best option.

Thanks,

Martin Steve

Tex cigars

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    martinsteve97:

If you are carrying cigars in car then keep the cellophane wrapper on it so, that it remain safe and fresh.Therefore,cellophane  paper is the best option.

Thanks,

Martin Steve

Tex cigars

JUST the cellophane wont do anything. cello is a porous material that lets moisture in and out... not to mention the giant hole that you take the cigar out of. this will not hold humidity in any way. the only protection that cellophane offers is from hands that go through a full humidor often. any REAL distress on a cigar will harm it if there is cellophane on it or not.

oh... and your link at the end of your post is for a competing cigar sales site. if you have not noticed, this is CIGAR.COM. please be respectful of cigar.com on their own forum ad refrain from posting competing links/sites. posting them is just rude.
  • JonathanEJonathanE Posts: 401
    ljl:
    Started thinking about those little coolers that you can plug into your cigarette outlet. Do they still sell those? That would keep em from heating up too much. Guess you could unplug when you get where you are going and it would help control temp shifts...
    When I was in college I kept a spare battery in the trunk of my car with heavy 4? gauge wires running back to the battery in the engine compartment. I had a switch next to my driver's seat that opened or closed the circuit and I had a multimeter wired in that would tell me how the spare battery was doing and, if it needed charged, I would just flip the switch while driving to keep it fresh. This setup was to support a 1,000 Watt, steady state inverter that I used alot.

Thermo electric car coolers are great because they don't mess with the RH inside the cooler unlike regular A/Cs. If you get it seasoned and leave it closed then you're good! ...and my second battery arrangement is a great way to make it not matter if you run the battery down. Throw in a solar panel or two for while you're at work and, after that, all you need to do is hook your car up to a battery charger to keep it stable overnight! {B-)

JDE