Home Cigar 101

Gurkha

MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
Well last nite I had a Gurkha Titan for the first time, and the cigar was great....had lotsa smoke and a very good almost dark bitter chocolate taste, I guess my wife got tired of me commenting on the cigar cause she got up and left the back yard, I will have a space in my humi. for this one!

Comments

• I do love a good Titan. They are my favorite huge cigar. If you're interested in trying more Gurkhas and like full bodied cigars (fuller than the Titan by quite a bit), I would try the G3. A friend of mine gave me a few the other day. I often find the super ligero stuff too much for my tastes, but that was a great cigar. I'll be buying some soon.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    The G3 and the triple ligero are the same cigar from what I've been told and I can attest to the Triple Ligero's goodness.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i went to gurkhas site and it seems to support that the g3 and the triple ligero are the same. I have seen them listed as different things on different sites with different bands.

any thoughts on when/why this is happened?
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    It might have to do with the whole "limited batch/production" thing that gurkha always has going on. It seems like sometimes they release the same or similar cigar under two different names on different years or to different distributors so it seems more like a limited edition. I know that they have at least 4 different cognac infused cigars: The Platinum (single infused), the Grand Reserve (also single infused - I think these two are exactly the same, just different names and different wax seal), the Royal Salute (triple infused) and His Majesty's Reserve (one entire bottle of King Louis XIII to 1 box of 10 cigars - takes one full year to infuse the cigars). Just my thoughts on this.
    thats along the lines of what i was thinking also. Maybe there is a SLIGHT difference, like same tobacco field, same strain, same time aging, same proscess of construction, but one of the filler leaves were different.
    That could be it but I was told with the G3 its technically the K. Hansotia G3 while its the Gurkha Triple Ligero, idk just what I was told.
  • I've wondered about the difference between the Platinum, the Grand Reserve, and the HMR. Same filler blend, same wrapper, same infusion process. Does the length of time really equate to the several hundered dollar price tag difference between sticks? I can't imagine since I think the Platinum has way to much cognac smell/flavor, I don't even want to imagine the HMR.

As for the Titan, I love it. I really need to load up on these considering the price they are going for here.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Great information being passed in this thread. Very Kewl!

5 STARS!
    jaytothen:
    I've wondered about the difference between the Platinum, the Grand Reserve, and the HMR. Same filler blend, same wrapper, same infusion process. Does the length of time really equate to the several hundered dollar price tag difference between sticks? I can't imagine since I think the Platinum has way to much cognac smell/flavor, I don't even want to imagine the HMR.

The Platinum and Grand reserve are both single infused, but they season lots of cigars for a short period of time with King Louis XIII. The Royal Salute is the next step up (about 25 bucks) and that's triple infused, so it's a longer process. With the HMR, they take 1 box of 10 cigars and infuse them over a year's time with KLXIII. This is what justifies the price tag (keep in mind, King Louis XIII typically goes for 1,300 - 1,500 bucks a bottle).
    Rob1110:
    jaytothen:
    I've wondered about the difference between the Platinum, the Grand Reserve, and the HMR. Same filler blend, same wrapper, same infusion process. Does the length of time really equate to the several hundered dollar price tag difference between sticks? I can't imagine since I think the Platinum has way to much cognac smell/flavor, I don't even want to imagine the HMR.

The Platinum and Grand reserve are both single infused, but they season lots of cigars for a short period of time with King Louis XIII. The Royal Salute is the next step up (about 25 bucks) and that's triple infused, so it's a longer process. With the HMR, they take 1 box of 10 cigars and infuse them over a year's time with KLXIII. This is what justifies the price tag (keep in mind, King Louis XIII typically goes for 1,300 - 1,500 bucks a bottle).
    Are you kidding me KL XIII is $1500 ... the TGI Fridays down the street has it up on a crazy high shelf, I'm going to ask how much a glass is!
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    madurofan:
    Rob1110:
    jaytothen:

Are you kidding me KL XIII is $1500 ... the TGI Fridays down the street has it up on a crazy high shelf, I'm going to ask how much a glass is!
    The NC Statewide ABC prices it at $1,799.95/bottle, at least as of their May pricing sheet.
    Holy Crap ... thats nuts. I knew it was expensive but DAMN.
    madurofan:

Actually, there's an even higher reserve, which is available by invitation only. Some of the cognacs in it are up to 100 years old. It's called Remy Martin King Louis XIII The Black Pearl and only 786 bottles were released. It comes in a Baccarat black crystal bottle, accented with platinum and retailed for about $8,000, though I've seen it listed for up to $35,000.

There's a really nice cigar bar in the North End (Boston) that has KLXIII. The only place I've seen it so far. It's $165 a glass. Most places only carry up to the XO reserve which is still excellent, especially with a cigar. I'd be curious to hear what they're getting for a glass at that Fridays.
    Now that I'm thinking I wonder if it even has anything in it or if its just a decoration .. its like 15 ft in the air above the rest of the bottles.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I was gonna say. WTF is Friday's doing with liquor that high-end? It's like McDonald's carrying Kobe beef.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    urbino:
    I was gonna say. WTF is Friday's doing with liquor that high-end? It's like McDonald's carrying Kobe beef.
    You mean the McKobe? Really over hyped once they add the pickles, onion, lettuce, tomato, special sauce and put it all on a sesame seed bun, in fact it tastes just like a Big Mac.... Wait a minute....something doesn't add up here....
  • urbino:
    Actually Burger King has a burger made with Kobe beef. Ruins the beef grinding it up and you end up with a plain tasting $200 burger, but i guess people have to blow money somehow. As for the process, I get that and how it warrants the high price tag. I just know I had a Platinum and thought it to be sickingly sweet. I can't imagine it being more infused for longer. I think I'd rather drink cognac, not smoke it.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Does it have to be Louis the XIII? I got a 5th of Hennessey and a fiver of Dutch Masters...

Actually the cool thing is that I never knew about the infusing of the cigars from Gurkha. I'll have to pick some of these guys up...
    i dont care what its infused with. its still an infused cigar.

i love me some gurkhas, but $750 for an infused cigar is a bit on the rediculous side. it seems like this is the moment when gurkha made a cigar for the rap stars in the world that want the most expensive anything just to show they have it. Its the price it is not because of how good it is, but because of the materials used. the tobacco is the cheap part. the Louis the XIII is the expensive part. personally i think its a waste of both.
    kuzi16:
    i dont care what its infused with. its still an infused cigar.

i love me some gurkhas, but $750 for an infused cigar is a bit on the rediculous side. it seems like this is the moment when gurkha made a cigar for the rap stars in the world that want the most expensive anything just to show they have it. Its the price it is not because of how good it is, but because of the materials used. the tobacco is the cheap part. the Louis the XIII is the expensive part. personally i think its a waste of both.
    I completely agree ...