Home Cigar 101

humidor questions

i bought 2 samplers from ccom with humidors and i have a little havana hygrometer and it is reading an rh of 90% so i think it may not be callibrated right. most of my cigars in both of the humis are hard and i think they are dried out which could mean that the humis are not seasoned properly however some of the sticks feel as if they are getting spongy. i am looking at byeing a new humi from a different website that is made by maverick and holds 150. i was wondering what your guys thoughts would be. also note that while i was seasoning the 2 humis i had the sticks, about 37 of them, in a tubbarware container with the 2 little packets that came with the sticks to keep them humidified.

Comments

• mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    How did you season the humidors?
    What are you using for humidification?
    Have you performed the salt test on the hygrometer?
  • I seasoned the humidor by putting a dish with distilled water inside of it for a couple of days. My humidifier is one of those round disks that i put in distilled water. No I didn't do the salt test, I am going to start that test tom. Also.............I know I wasn't supposed to do this but when I first noticed my sticks were getting hard I whiped the inside of the humidors with a damp cloth of distiled water and let the humidor sit open for about an hour and now the the joints on the top back corners of both humidors are pulled apart (where the 2 peices of ceder but together)
  • mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    Wiping your humidor, unless done properly, is an easy way to cause warping and messing up a humidor. As far as humidification, ditch the disks and get some Heartfelt humidity beads, I prefer the 65% ones myself.

Get yourself an undamaged humidor, season it for at least 5 days (don't wipe anything this time), and get some beads for humidification. You should be using a digital hygrometer, analog ones are too unreliable. Wal-Mart carries a decent digital for $7 in the hardware department, I use 2 of them and have had no issues.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    If you have a B&M that you frequent that has knowledgeable people working there, I'd ask if they can take a look at your humidor for you. Most good places will troubleshoot your humidor problems and give you a little "Humidor 101" class. That's how I learned to get my humidor working properly.

Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    mrpillow is right - your wiping probably caused the wood to warp, which is why it's coming apart. You may be able to fix it though if you get some clear-colored aquarium sealant. The stuff is non-toxic and has no smell (it's gotta be safe enough for the fish), so it won't cause any problems with your sticks, but it'll help seal your humi off.
  • Well what do u guys think about buying a 150 count humi that is manufacture by a company named maverick. It is only $50 plus shipping from another site, I don't know what the rules are of this site or forum in regards to posting like to items on a different site so for now I won't unless someone tells me it's ok. Also, where did you guys get ur humidors from, the Internet or an actual shop.