Home Cigar 101

Weird Burns

aron325aron325 Posts: 158
Ok I have two B&M's i go to and have this issue with the cigars I get from one of them. I have noticed that they tend to burn straight down the middle. Now as far as I am aware of I have only noticed it from that B&M but I could be wrong. What would cause a cigar to burn right down the middle like that? Would it be the way that I light it? Would it be the way that I keep it humidified? I just have no idea why this is happening. It is a waste of a perfectly good stick. All responses are welcome. Thanks!

Comments

• mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    How are you storing your cigars?
  • aron325aron325 Posts: 158
    it was in my travel humi but now i just got a 100 ct humi and just put them in last night
  • mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    Did you season the humidor? If so, how? Are you using a calibrated hygrometer? What humidifcation system are you using?
    yes i did with the boveda seasoning kit for about a week. also left a shot glass in there with the distilled water. using humi-gel for humidification. but like i said they just got put in there last night so i havent had one out of there. this would have to be either my travel humi or the B&M
    and yes i am using a calibrated hygro
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    How many cigars burned like that? When you say "burning straight down the middle", do you mean it causes a tunnel to form where the outside doesn't burn as fast as the inside?

If only one or two cigars did this, it could be a simple construction issue, underfilled cigars or improperly bunched tobacco. It could also be a humidification issue, as the cigar could have dried out and not humidified all the way through.

If this is only happening with cigars from one B&M, my advice would be to avoid that shop, because if they're not storing their cigars properly then there is no reason why you should buy from them.

Whatever the case may be, good luck with your new humidor.
    it happened to at least 4 of my cigars, and yes it does tunnel through the middle. I was just wondering if it was the way i was lighting it or something else. the first one was a romeo and julieta i smoked the same day i picked it up and it burned like that. the second was a torano box pressed and it burned like that. i took that back to the shop and he said he has never seen it do that on a torano. so he gave me a new one. i kept two of those for about 4-5 months in my travel humi and lit it up the other night. when i asjed i looked at it because i wasnt getting nearly enough smoke out of it unless i puffed on it 3 or 4 times consistently. there were 2 or 3 little holes going down the middle and i know if i would have cut it open i would have seen it burning down the middle. i know i dont have tobacco beetles because there are no holes in any of my cigars and no dust anywhere. ity is just really pissing me off because i dont know what i am doing wrong if anything. im getting sick of wasting money on sticks that have a **** burn. i like my cigars to have clean burns that way i can enjoy them thoroughly. im not sure what have to do to get decent sticks. i think i am going to avoid that shop and see where that takes me. i have at least 5 more sticks from them in my humi and dont know what i should do with them. should i just let them sit and get rehumidified?
    Yeah, I'd definitely suggest avoiding that shop, something sounds fishy. As far as the cigars you've already got from there, you can just put them in your humidor and let them stay in there for probably 2-3 months to make sure they are in good shape, but they should be fine with a little TLC.

I don't really think you're doing anything wrong, it sounds more like bad storage on the shop's part. Even if your lighting technique is a little off, cigars are pretty forgiving, it may just start a little bumpy. Hope you have better luck, I totally agree that crap burns take away from the enjoyment of an otherwise good cigar.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like the only way to solve this one is to try buying from another shop and see if you have the same problem. There's a shop I like to go to because they have a very nice selection and decent prices, but their humidification is suspect. I still buy from them, but I make sure I let those sticks rest for a couple weeks before I smoke them.

Since you just got the new humidor up and running that should solve most of your issues. I would also recommend beads over gel, just my .02. Travel humidors are nice for short term storage, but are not reliable long term.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
    ok with beads where would i get them from and how much do i need?
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    aron325:
    They range in price and quantity. Most B&Ms should carry them. I like Cigar Mechanic. Pretty affordable. Lot's of guys on here swear by Heartfelt.

As far as how much you need, I'd say about 2 ounces for a 100 count humi. You can calculate the cubic inches of you humi by multiplying the height x width x depth. Your probably in the 900 - 1200 range. Next you have to pick your rh. That's a matter of preference, but I would go with 65-70% rh.

That being said, Cigar Mechanic makes a 40g zip lock baggie of beads for about $10 each. 2 should work for your humi.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I think it sounds like the humidification at the B&M too. I have this problem all the time with all kinds of B&Ms around here. It stinks...I feel your pain.

I have been having great success with my beads from conserva-gel (they aren't gel, they're beads). 1 pound for $17 plus s&h.
    aron325:
    Check out this link. Beads They run for about half the price of Heartfelt brand beads and are the same thing. For a 100 count humidor, I'd recommend more than what is needed to cover it. A good rule of thumb with beads is you take what you need and double it, that way there are no worries. So if you need 2 ounces, go with 4.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    bring a hygro with you next time and see what it reads. You could ask to see the shops hygro to see if it's off. I'd also let them know. Also see if you get the same results in while in their shop after picking up a cigar from them. if you can smoke there that is. that would help you identify if it's their stock.