Home Ratings & Reviews

God of Fire

lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
This is the 2006 Double Robusto Cameroon by Carlito, a 5.7 x 50 stick.

This had about 2 months rest in the humi. I broke it out for a special occasion. I finally got an offer on my condo after a long frustrating process.

Pre-light: The look and feel alone on this cigar is amazing. Absolutely flawless construction. Firm to the touch. Densely packed. No visible veins or lines. Perfection.

The aromas from the wrapper are like nothing I've ever smelled before. Very fragrant, but not in an infused cigar kind of way. It kind of reminds me of that "new baseball glove" smell...... if that makes any sense.

The cap is sweet to the taste. I can tell already that I'm really gonna like this one.

Cut: Uh oh!!! I fudged the cut!!! Damn it!!!! My hands musta been shaking so bad in anticipation. Oh well, no big deal, just a little uneven. Still smoke-able.

Light: Using my Bugatti B-1 lighter, I ever so gently toast the foot. Ahhhhh, nice aromas right off the bat. First draws are smooth and savory. The flavors just wash over my tongue. Very intense to my taste buds. I'm picking up newer flavors, like honey and clover. I've never tasted these before in a cigar. The draw is perfect. The smoke out put is perfect. I've never enjoyed a cigar this quickly after first light. It usually takes at least 5 minutes for the flavors to develop on any other cigar. But this is just a bombardment of flavors right away. The honey and clover flavors are mixing with leather, coffee and chocolate. It's amazing. And this is just the first half inch, or so!!!

1st third: Have you ever eaten honey right out of the jar on a spoon? Yea? Well, same thing. It's THAT good. I'm pairing this with a glass of single malt Signatory Vintage Laphroaig 7 year. So, the flavors are really intense. The smokiness of the scotch balances well with the sweet and savory of the cigar. Burn is razor sharp. I'm very happy right now.

2nd third: Flavors are consistent, burn is consistent, smoke out put is consistent. Nothing really new to report. Just more perfection.

Last third: I get down to the labels and I encounter my first problem. A small bit of the wrapper pulls away after I remove the big label. A quick correction with the lighter and everything is back to perfection. Whew...

I nubbed this bad boy. Damn near burnt my lips trying to get every last bit of flavor out of it.

I got this as a gift, but I would definitely spend $20-$25 for another one if the occasion presented itself. This is definitely a "celebratory" or annual smoke. If I smoked one of these every day, I would lose all appreciation for the finer things in life.

So, in conclusion, whether it be your birthday, a promotion or the divorce finalization..... get one and enjoy.
Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..

Comments

• zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Nice review man! Sounds great! One day I shall have my turn with a GoF!
    So it this a medium or full smoke?
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    zeebra:
    Nice review man! Sounds great! One day I shall have my turn with a GoF!
    So it this a medium or full smoke?
    It's medium to full, depending on your preferences. I found it to be more medium, but I'm a maduro smoker, usually.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    ok..... have not had the pleasure and didnt think i would ever spend that kind of money on a cigar for any freaking reason....... But after reading that...... I am thinking i Will have to get one to celebrate a Milestone I am coming up on in July........ Thanks for a Great review Lilwing.
    Ozzie
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    That is why I said, these things just make me smile. Now you know what I mean eh lilwing?
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    That is why I said, these things just make me smile. Now you know what I mean eh lilwing?
    Yup. I think I'm STILL smiling.......
  • The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    O My God ! Honey ? Really ? I want to smoke mine right now !!!! No.... Can't...... must wait for special occasion...... DAMN !!! If I get the same tastes out of mine I will truly enjoy every little bit of it.
    AAAHHH I just looked at mine I have the Carlos......... I hope it tastes the same as yours......... it should since the only difference is the wrapper. If anything it should add more hint of chocolate to the palate
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    The Cank:
    AAAHHH I just looked at mine I have the Carlos......... I hope it tastes the same as yours......... it should since the only difference is the wrapper. If anything it should add more hint of chocolate to the palate
    They aren't really that similar. They are both very good. I have a real LOVE for the Double Robusto by Carlito.

As lilwing described it has a very Floral aroma and some very unique flavors, including that touch of honey. This particular stick would have to be my all time favorite "special" cigar. If there is a cigar out there that is really worth $20+... this is it.
  • Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the review. I have a Carlito and a Don Carlos resting for a special occasion. They sound superb in every way.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I have a few of these in the humi, but I'm going to wait till they have some age on them before smoking them. They sound amazing though.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I still have a half box of each, very nice smokes. The Don Carlos is a bit more full than the Carlito.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    lilwing88:
    This is the 2006 Double Robusto Cameroon by Carlito, a 5.7 x 50 stick.

This had about 2 months rest in the humi. I broke it out for a special occasion. I finally got an offer on my condo after a long frustrating process.

Pre-light: The look and feel alone on this cigar is amazing. Absolutely flawless construction. Firm to the touch. Densely packed. No visible veins or lines. Perfection.

The aromas from the wrapper are like nothing I've ever smelled before. Very fragrant, but not in an infused cigar kind of way. It kind of reminds me of that "new baseball glove" smell...... if that makes any sense.

The cap is sweet to the taste. I can tell already that I'm really gonna like this one.

Cut: Uh oh!!! I fudged the cut!!! Damn it!!!! My hands musta been shaking so bad in anticipation. Oh well, no big deal, just a little uneven. Still smoke-able.

Light: Using my Bugatti B-1 lighter, I ever so gently toast the foot. Ahhhhh, nice aromas right off the bat. First draws are smooth and savory. The flavors just wash over my tongue. Very intense to my taste buds. I'm picking up newer flavors, like honey and clover. I've never tasted these before in a cigar. The draw is perfect. The smoke out put is perfect. I've never enjoyed a cigar this quickly after first light. It usually takes at least 5 minutes for the flavors to develop on any other cigar. But this is just a bombardment of flavors right away. The honey and clover flavors are mixing with leather, coffee and chocolate. It's amazing. And this is just the first half inch, or so!!!

1st third: Have you ever eaten honey right out of the jar on a spoon? Yea? Well, same thing. It's THAT good. I'm pairing this with a glass of single malt Signatory Vintage Laphroaig 7 year. So, the flavors are really intense. The smokiness of the scotch balances well with the sweet and savory of the cigar. Burn is razor sharp. I'm very happy right now.

2nd third: Flavors are consistent, burn is consistent, smoke out put is consistent. Nothing really new to report. Just more perfection.

Last third: I get down to the labels and I encounter my first problem. A small bit of the wrapper pulls away after I remove the big label. A quick correction with the lighter and everything is back to perfection. Whew...

I nubbed this bad boy. Damn near burnt my lips trying to get every last bit of flavor out of it.

I got this as a gift, but I would definitely spend $20-$25 for another one if the occasion presented itself. This is definitely a "celebratory" or annual smoke. If I smoked one of these every day, I would lose all appreciation for the finer things in life.

So, in conclusion, whether it be your birthday, a promotion or the divorce finalization..... get one and enjoy.
    Awesome Marty! I can't wait to have mine now!!!
    Congrats!!
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I had the same stick the other night. Pretty tasty, had a ton of tar bubbles causing draw issues though, which is weird as I normally never have tar bubbles. It was a good stick though. Not as good as an Anejo, but that's just one guys opinion. It was a treat for sure though. Glad you enjoyed yours!
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Totally jealous, glad that you liked it!
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    my buddy got me another 2 boxes for my birthday. I was able to find them at about 150 for each blend. I feel I'm stocked up on these. I do want to try the 07 though. i wonder if there is much difference. Glad you liked it. GOF are a real treat.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    cabinetmaker:
    I still have a half box of each, very nice smokes. The Don Carlos is a bit more full than the Carlito.
    I agree. I do want to try the aniversxio or what have you. I was thinking of picking up the brown box this year but it's pricey for 4 sticks. Anyone what to trade for one lmk. I've got a 04 forbidden X opus and other things!!!!!
    well if the two are not similar then I have to find a Carlito...... I guess I will have to break down and buy one...... or if someone nice wants to trade on for something.........
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    The Cank:
    well if the two are not similar then I have to find a Carlito...... I guess I will have to break down and buy one...... or if someone nice wants to trade on for something.........
    They are a different blend altogether. Each one is tailored to the tastes of the maker. They don't tell you what the blend is only the wrapper and size. With that being said, I like the Don Carlos better. I don't know what it is but last year in the summer I had one on the way to a gig and I didn't want to put it down it was sooooooooooooooooooooooooo good. I have plenty of the Carlito and DC but only smoke one a year. I bought myself a box of each in 2005 plus 4 2004 Carlitos. Then, I bought myself a 2006 box of Carlito Torpedos and a box of DC 2006. I now need to get a box of each for 2007. I'm thinking just the new sizes like the double corona and the toro. And before you ask, I'm not trading them! There are very few cigars I won't trade but these are of of them. I even traded a few Patagas 150s but now the rest are mine.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I smoked a Don Carlos 2006 tonight. I was blown away by the complexity. I still taste it now, 45 minutes later. There are so many flavors going on over the course of the stick. It lasted around 1:30 (awesome for a Robusto) but I wanted it to keep going. It was on the full side, but didn't really kick my butt or anything. I have another DC, and despite the fact that I want to go smoke it right now (that delicious!) I am going to let it sit until Christmas or something, so it gets more time on it. Took one picture as well:

This cigar is most definitely worth the price.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Excellent review Marty! Really makes me want to smoke this stick....got another one laying around??? ;-)
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Nice Doc, it's definitely a good cigar, I've enjoyed the 2-3 I've had. I've got 4 or 5 resting right now, may have to pull one out and reacquaint myself.
    Don't get me wrong I can't wait to smoke the Carlos but the Carlito.... Honey, man that sounds great ! I'm sure the Carlos will have my mouth watering I just want to make sure I try both